soundproofing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SO just moved into a new home, I have my little theater area set up and its rocking however the sound travels very well through the rest of the home any tips on what can be done?, the basement is fully finished,drywall carpet etc..so I am looking to see what i can do with minimal impact on the already finished space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlaw12002 View Post

SO just moved into a new home, I have my little theater area set up and its rocking however the sound travels very well through the rest of the home any tips on what can be done?, the basement is fully finished,drywall carpet etc..so I am looking to see what i can do with minimal impact on the already finished space.

Sound isolation in HT is normally to keep outside sound out of the theater. If your room is complete, there is little that can be done other than turn down the volume or use in-ear or head phones. Most all sound proofing is accomplished during the building of the room .. i.e. room within a room sealed and isolated. There is a big long thread on sound proofing in this forum or the Dedicated forum, just do a forum search for Sound Proofing.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Sound isolation in HT is normally to keep outside sound out of the theater.

Are you sure...

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #4 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The average person that calls us is looking to keep the sound in so they can crank and not disturb.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #5 of 10 Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
And there's nothing wrong with that and that should be addressed. If you build the room correctly, you should be able to reduce sound transmission to the rest of the house, too. Personally, I do not care a wit whether sound gets into the home theater, but care greatly about sound getting out. It seems to me though if you address one, you address the other.

Bob
post #6 of 10 Old 06-01-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Sorry for the confusion, I as just was reposing what I have read many times in the dedicated home theater threads. Does not matter which way the sound goes, the process of stopping is the same.

Ted please correct the more important portion of the answer I gave to the question, "what can be done after the fact when the room is completed"? From what I know, without rebuilding the room properly it can be rather difficult and almost as expensive with lesser success to try and fix things afterwards. You obviously are one of the experts on sound proofing and I would appreciate any insight you could provide as I do not like to give bad answers to questions. Adding a second layer of dry wall with green glue on walls and ceiling, sealing all electrical boxes and all air passages, installing mufflers in ac runs and returns etc are effective but without structural isolation (room in a room clips and channels ) the effectiveness is greatly reduced.. Do I have this part correct?

The OP was also asking about "I am looking to see what i can do with minimal impact on the already finished space.

So is the answer "there is little that can be done" a correct answer?

Thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

If your wall framing is 24" on center studs, then applying more drywall and damping compound can provide satisfying improvement. If the studs are 16" on center (likely) then applying more drywall and damping compound will not improve things as much. To be clear, this technique on 16" studs will improve performance, but not much. Could easily be seen as a waste.

The other consideration is to build a completely new wall 1" away from the old one. Still not as ideal as removing the original drywall, but some folks have lead or asbestos and would rather leave well enough alone.

Ted

post #8 of 10 Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 AM

If you are not looking to open the walls back up, applying a damping compound like Green Glue and an additional layer of drywall to the walls and ceilings will help block transmission of sound in and out. Make sure you seal all corners with acoustical caulk after. And adding acoustical door seal kits can help take care of that weak spot. Good luck!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Or you could re-read post #7...

Ted

post #10 of 10 Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the input. atm i am just going to live with it, maybe down the road i will address the issues but its a new home and ripping out a brand new finished basement so that i can watch movies a bit louder does not make sense for me atm.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page