Why is dark walls so important? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 129 Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have to wait for my next flick to observe the walls, but for those with such a case of ADD that they can't enjoy a projector without being encased in black, what happens to their minds when a bright scene appears that reflects light off all those other objects besides the walls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 129 Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I have to wait for my next flick to observe the walls, but for those with such a case of ADD that they can't enjoy a projector without being encased in black, what happens to their minds when a bright scene appears that reflects light off all those other objects besides the walls?

post #93 of 129 Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Ha ha!!! I like that one.
post #94 of 129 Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Usually if you building or planning out a theater you design and make choices so that bright light colored things don't reflect light into your screen but rather absorb it.

That's why my back area and bar are planned to be dark stained wood.

Having white ceiling or white trim or white back wall is ok in a living room but not ok in a theater.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #95 of 129 Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Having white ceiling or white trim or white back wall is ok in a living room but not ok in a theater.

No, it is not OK in a living, but unfortunately there is usually another non HT nut involved when dealing with a non dedicated room.. We do as much as we can without making life toooo painful! smile.gif
post #96 of 129 Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Going to cover shutter windows with black velvet fabric. walls will be a dark flat color maybe dark grey. however I'm stuck with the white speakers. Will I need black or darker speakers? These are the boston a360 no space for a false wall. Room is 16x16. Projector is a epson5020 shelf mounted on the back wall. Screen is a jamestown white with 1.2 gain.
post #97 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Cover them with black velvet!
Cut fabric to fit, spray area of speaker with 3M 77, spray back of fabric, let sit 30 seconds and attache.
Did my screen case and it really turned out nice, as well as all the ceiling panels. You can pull up and reposition the velvet working it perfectly smooth with no wrinkles.
Good luck!
alamez likes this.
post #98 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Cover them with black velvet!
Cut fabric to fit, spray area of speaker with 3M 77, spray back of fabric, let sit 30 seconds and attache.
Did my screen case and it really turned out nice, as well as all the ceiling panels. You can pull up and reposition the velvet working it perfectly smooth with no wrinkles.
Good luck!

Will having black speakers make a big difference? I can sell these and get some other ones. Good idea though. thanks
post #99 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamez View Post

Will having black speakers make a big difference? I can sell these and get some other ones. Good idea though. thanks

Only if you've darkened everything else around them... I had planned to use a set of speakers in my theater that had stained maple side rails. I didn't think that would be a big deal, but once placed with all the dark walls and black screen borders all around it, they stuck out like a sore thumb. I, too, was planning to cover the wood with black velvet (but use something non-permanent to attach), but got a deal on a speaker upgrade.

Funny part was, the upgrade pair had a dark cherry stain (no choice at this price!), which clashed with the room colors, so I ended up covering the base up with velvet anyway.

Jeff
alamez likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #100 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Only if you've darkened everything else around them... I had planned to use a set of speakers in my theater that had stained maple side rails. I didn't think that would be a big deal, but once placed with all the dark walls and black screen borders all around it, they stuck out like a sore thumb. I, too, was planning to cover the wood with black velvet (but use something non-permanent to attach), but got a deal on a speaker upgrade.

Funny part was, the upgrade pair had a dark cherry stain (no choice at this price!), which clashed with the room colors, so I ended up covering the base up with velvet anyway.

Jeff

can you show us a pic of the speakers?
post #101 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM

Would the KEF C7 be al good alternative to the A360's?
post #102 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

can you show us a pic of the speakers?

The "old" speakers with the oak rails, sitting in the room before the screen went up:

Contrast that with the speakers that replaced them, now with the screen and everything else in place. You can barely make out the black speakers - whereas the oak rails would have been obvious. Note that these two photos were taken with very similar light levels...

alamez likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #103 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Go with a flat or satin paint as well.

On the general topic of this thread, yes, dark walls matter, but the further the side walls are from your screen, the less they matter. In my current condo, I am size-constrained on the screen to about 100" have a 12 foot ceiling that starts 4 to 6 feet above the screen, one wall is 8 feet to the left, and the other goes away from the screen at a 45 degree angle. Them being white has a lot less effect than other problems, such as ambient spill-in light from the loft windows. I keep thinking about having shades made for those, but they would have to be remote controlled at the bottom of the windows are 14' above the floor.

BTW, jautor - that is a very nice room.
alamez likes this.
post #104 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would the KEF C7 be al good alternative to the A360's?

I would take the Q-line over the Cs. Even a set of 5 Q100s with a nice sub.
post #105 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

I would take the Q-line over the Cs. Even a set of 5 Q100s with a nice sub.

I would like the q500 but they are 400 a piece. The Boston a360 where 199 each. I'm looking at spending around 200 to 300 per speaker
post #106 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

BTW, jautor - that is a very nice room.
Thanks! The walls are dark, too... biggrin.gif

post #107 of 129 Old 09-24-2013, 01:07 AM

They have the a360 in a glossy black. Will the gloss be an issue?
post #108 of 129 Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They have the a360 in a glossy black. Will the gloss be an issue?

Yes, you don't want glossy finish - satin or flat (flat can be difficult to work with).

post #109 of 129 Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yes, you don't want glossy finish - satin or flat (flat can be difficult to work with).

Im looking at the CBM 170 se's for the LR and a cmt 340 for center? any thoughts or recommendations?
post #110 of 129 Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM

The bass is being taken care of by two 12 inch subs
post #111 of 129 Old 09-24-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

How about starting a new thread since you are really way off topic
post #112 of 129 Old 09-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

How about starting a new thread since you are really way off topic

very true
post #113 of 129 Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Gonna paint the speakers instead with some camouflage plastic paint. It's supposed to absorb light
http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage-paint-made-with-fusion-for-plastic-technology/
post #114 of 129 Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

cool - let us know how it goes. I've use BBQ black on speakers before for a flat dull black.
post #115 of 129 Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 13
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do these room darkening and reflection control techniques apply only to rooms with projectors?

Will they will also help improve the performance of a room with a plasma display?

Due to life changes I have had to scale back my planned HT project quite a bit, or at least do it in stages. My desired end state is still a light and sound controlled room with a nice projector and fabric frame walls, but it will be a while before that is possible.

In the short term I will be using a TC-P65GT50 Panasonic 65" plasma. The room does have several windows, but these can be blocked with blackout curtains for now.

I've been using this display in a converted master bedroom, which we expected to use for a year or two while my "man cave" space served as a dormitory for long term house guests. Before mounting the display we painted the "screen wall" and a few feet up the side walls flat ""Cracked Pepper" black. The rest of the walls are a medium grey, and the ceiling and carpeting are off white. I love the look of the black screen wall. I don't know whether I can do that color throughout the room, though.

The house guests are leaving this week (!), many months earlier than I had feared, and I will be getting my man cave back. The question is, will I get a significant a benefit from painting the walls dark, or will this not provide as significant improvement using a plasma display compared to a projector?

I love the look of the black "screen wall" in my temporary set up. It seems ot me that the other walls, ceiling, and floor may be just as important than the screen wall, since those surfaces seem like they will reflect more light onto the display. Is that correct?

And will this even matter until I get my projector?

ETA: clarification

Kevin
post #116 of 129 Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T.Nest View Post

I

I love the look of the black "screen wall" in my temporary set up. It seems ot me that the other walls, ceiling, and floor may be just as important than the screen wall, since those surfaces seem like they will reflect more light onto the display. Is that correct?

And will this even matter until I get my projector?

ETA: clarification

Kevin

Yes the walls, ceiling and floor are the surfaces that will reflect back on the screen, the screen wall will not. So yes and Yes it can matter.
Your TV will float in the blackness of the screen wall and reducing reflections in your field of view will always help. Black walls will not pollute the image and colors coming from the TV. This is what a light controlled viewing room is be it projector or active screen display.
M.T.Nest likes this.
post #117 of 129 Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It sure won't hurt - but the importance is much lower.
post #118 of 129 Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Seriously, tv has always been watched in well lit rooms. I wouldn't shine a beacon on it but there's no need to treat a room just for tv viewing unless one has some OCD tendencies.
post #119 of 129 Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Seriously, tv has always been watched in well lit rooms. I wouldn't shine a beacon on it but there's no need to treat a room just for tv viewing unless one has some OCD tendencies.

We are not talking about a watching the news in the kitchen while eating dinner. This is about home theater, be it Projection or direct view. For projection, room treatment is as important if not more so than the projector you select. The person asked if it matter BEFORE he got his projector and yes it does, not to the same extent but it does have an effect.
When content is master for TV and movies it is done in a light contorted dark room with no reflections and if you want to get that same experience you recreated the environment.
This dark room also requires your TV is set up correctly for low light viewing or you will end up with eye strain if you do not have the light output set correctly.
Call it OCD or call it Home Theater.. but we are not talking about watching TV.. you do that with the lights on! wink.gif
Take a look at these article I just googled "THX light controlled room"
http://gizmodo.com/5882855/set-up-your-home-theater-like-a-thx-master
http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm
post #120 of 129 Old 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

I actually prefer watching tv in the dark (and some folks in my household think that is weird). However the poster was asking about the light ceiling and I truly don't think it's that crucial in the case of a plasma. However I'm a pretty laid back person and AVS is OCD/High Maintenance Central smile.gifsmile.gif
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page