Combining Dish and cable on one line. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a single coax line behind my tv which feeds the Dish receiver ("Hopper"). I need to get a cable feed down the same line for my cable modem.

Is this possible? I remember back in the day using a diplexer to combine and then split again the dish and OTA signals through one line. Can the same be done for Comcast cable and Dish?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharree View Post

I have a single coax line behind my tv which feeds the Dish receiver ("Hopper"). I need to get a cable feed down the same line for my cable modem.

Is this possible? I remember back in the day using a diplexer to combine and then split again the dish and OTA signals through one line. Can the same be done for Comcast cable and Dish?

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/165251-using-the-same-coax-for-cable-internet-and-vip-622-sat-input/

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:13 PM
This might help the OP: I ran into this situation this weekend. I've got Dish and now cable internet as well. I wanted to have my router in the basement w/ the HT gear (ps3 and computer mainly) so I could have them hard wired. I figured it would be simple enough to take the current coax for sat, tape another one to the attic entry point, pull it through and have two, one for each. I got in the attic and saw where the cable went down, and knowing where it came out, figured it would be impossible to run a second one. But I tried anyway and the cable wouldn't even budge in the wall. Dang....

So I'm getting cleaned up and I figure, why not see if I can run satellite and internet thru the same cable, and just split it once it gets in the basement closet? I didn't figure it would work but it was at least worth a try. So the dish comes in and gets split, one to the basement receiver and another to the spare bedroom (Dish 722 feeds both from the basement in case you're wondering). I took the feed for the basement, and using a standard splitter, put the cable internet and dish, in the two out portions of the splitter, and hooked the current coax to the basement into the in side of the splitter. I then went to the basement and split that cable into two separate feeds, one to the dish receiver and one to the modem. It all works beautifully! I was able to record three shows and watch two different shows (from DVR) all while doing speed tests and maintaining my full 15mb service!

I realize that I should have to use a diplexer instead of a splitter on both ends of this, but I didn't. I used a simple RCA brand 3-way splitter. I've tried finding a reason for this on other forums but haven't gotten a definitive answer. Any thoughts?
post #3 of 3 Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Just an update: I connected the diplexers, and fired it all up. The Joey receiver in the bedroom DID NOT work. The Hopper still worked however. After disconnecting only the diplexer closest to the tv, the Joey worked again. Oh well, guess I'll be drilling up in my attic or through my stucco.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page