Newbie breaking into the 21st century - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(Moderator, if this is not the place, please move my post)

We have just purchased a new home--literally. We had been living for many years in an adobe home with limited options for A/V. Now, we are moving into a home that is brand new with, unfortunately, limited wiring in place.

Here is where I come from: 28" inch deep cabinets to house the old style TVs, but with a 47" Samsung LCD TV. My receiver is a 20+ year old Onkyo. The last speakers I purchased were AR speakers which had been rebuilt once while I had them during their 30 year life and which we just gave to Goodwill. What I see in the new house is a shallow cutout in the wall with a TV barrel connector, a double receptacle and about a 1" conduit running to a closet.

So what I get from all this while I have been asleep for the last couple of decades is that instead of hooking all of my equipment into the TV connectors, now I need to purchase an A/V receiver with lots of hookups, then I plug my "hidden" pieces into the A/V receiver in the closet from whence one HDMI (or two) cables run to the TV hanging in the other room. I assume, then, I would need an IR receiver, also running through the conduit back to the closet with some kind of medusa-head of emitters to the DVD player, a ReplayTV (I told you my equipment was ancient) , a SlingBox, a cable box (I think that is it). I will also need some speakers with the limitation being that my wife will not allow any free-standing speakers.

So, first, is that the basics of how things are to be set up? If so, then I would appreciate if people would be kind enough to recommend some websites/equipment that I should research.
1, speakers (ceiling/wall, wireless woofer??)
2. A/V receiver. I have budgeted up to about $800 for this, looking for quality and trying to fend off obsolescence...
3. IR equipment. Is there a big difference? Who makes reliable and relatively unobtrusive receivers and emitters? Is the receiver hung on the TV? Can it be powered from a cabinet about 25 feet away?

That is for starters. What else should I be considering for initial setup? I have about a terabye of movies, some as .iso files and others in their native file structure. Is there a receiver that can search my home network and play them, or would I need a small computer to do that? If I were to need a small computer and presumably a program, where should I start my research?

I'll tell you, I feel like Rip Van Winkle... I don't mind at all doing the research, but I would appreciate knowing where to begin.

Thanks
Ken K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkrone View Post

We have just purchased a new home--literally. We had been living for many years in an adobe home with limited options for A/V. Now, we are moving into a home that is brand new with, unfortunately, limited wiring in place.

Congrats on the new home, and welcome to the 21st century! biggrin.gif
Quote:
What I see in the new house is a shallow cutout in the wall with a TV barrel connector, a double receptacle and about a 1" conduit running to a closet.

Now that's lucky! I thought you were in trouble until we hit the conduit... Now you're set!
Quote:
So, first, is that the basics of how things are to be set up? If so, then I would appreciate if people would be kind enough to recommend some websites/equipment that I should research.

Yes, a modern AVR does an excellent job of handling all the analog and digital video inputs and switching, plus Internet audio sources like Pandora. One HDMI cable to the TV.
Quote:
1, speakers (ceiling/wall, wireless woofer??)

The AVS Speaker forum.
Quote:
2. A/V receiver. I have budgeted up to about $800 for this, looking for quality and trying to fend off obsolescence...

The AVS Receivers forum.

$800 will buy a quite nice AVR these days - even $400-500 will get you all of what you need and then some you didn't know you wanted...
Quote:
3. IR equipment. Is there a big difference? Who makes reliable and relatively unobtrusive receivers and emitters? Is the receiver hung on the TV? Can it be powered from a cabinet about 25 feet away?

Difference is all in the receiver, both performance and "style". If your new Samsung TV is an LED set, no problem - if it's a CFL-based LCD (meaning, not an LED-powered), you might run into IR interference issues with cheap IR receivers. Monoprice has an absolute dirt cheap IR repeater kit (<$20) that's ready for a 3.5mm connector cable (readily available in 25' lengths) between receiver and the emitter package.
Quote:
That is for starters. What else should I be considering for initial setup? I have about a terabye of movies, some as .iso files and others in their native file structure. Is there a receiver that can search my home network and play them, or would I need a small computer to do that? If I were to need a small computer and presumably a program, where should I start my research?

No AVR will do it, as there's too much legal trouble involved. You'll need a small media streamer - read all about them in the AVS Media Streamers forum or the HTPC forum.
Quote:
I'll tell you, I feel like Rip Van Winkle... I don't mind at all doing the research, but I would appreciate knowing where to begin.

I hope you're ready for this new-fangled HD thing, too... biggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the effort you put into your reply, Jeff. I have my work cut out for me, but I should be able to work through it with some help. I will visit the different forums and figure out what will work. One problem I may have is that I am quite wedded to my ReplayTVs (dvrs), and the best output is only composite connectors. It takes s-video and perhaps that is all I really need since the output is low res. I will look for some 50 foot cables to feed through the conduit.

Thanks again. I am sure I will be back once the dust of the move next week settles.

Ken K
post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

WRT the monoprice ir repeater that you mentioned (I assume it is this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=9895&seq=1&format=2):

1. Is there likely a problem with using a 25' extension cord for the run back to my AV cabinet? (problem with the total length of the run)
2. While it says that this particular IR repeater has only 4 emitters, is it likely that exchanging one of the single emitters for a multiple head emitter would not be successful because of whatever power draw it may add? I have the AV receiver, a cable box, the ReplayTV, a Roku, AppleTV (not sure why I have the duplication except that my brother in law gave us the AppleTV) and a DVR. (I am not sure which is controlled by what at the moment and I may not actually need all of them controlled from the TV but the question is just more general about having more than 4 emitters and whether it is your guess that such a repeater would be able to handle a multi-head emitter.

Thanks
Ken K
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that's the one. And you'll be fine with a 25' 3.5mm STEREO extension cable (you need the 3-conductor stereo plug/wires, not a mono "emitter" extension cable).

That kit comes with two, double-emitter cables. But it has a total of 5 emitter outputs, so you can just add 3 more emitters (single or dual).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

"so you can just add 3 more emitters (single or dual)."

Are emitters mix and match amongst manufacturers or should they be the same manufacturer? I have some that came with my ReplayTV that are on a 2" bracket so that they shoot up or down about 45 degrees at the equipment. I would look for more of those if the manufacturer doesn't matter.

Thanks again
post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Emitters are pretty universal. Some may work better than others, most of the differences I've noticed have been in style / form factor. In a hidden system, none of that matters, really... Certainly use ones you have lying around before buying new ones!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page