Which receiver for a family room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
It'll soon be time to start putting together the gear for the family room. I'm wondering which receivers and TVs to consider.

It's a fairly large and open space, combination of kitchen/family room. We have a separate room that'll be used for a home theater, and another as a rec room (likely for video games).

It'll have a 5.1 speaker setup (in 10' ceiling). I'm not terribly worried about fidelity. We have a separate theater room for that. The cabinetry is sized for a 50-55" display.

The gear will all be in a cabinet directly below the TV. I may or may go with an IR repeater setup to aid hiding the gear in the cabinets (but measures will be taken to make sure it doesn't overheat). It'll also have a local iTach (from Global Cache) to allow for more versatile control from tablets and the like.

Local sources will include one blu-ray player and a Tivo. Either can output HDMI or component. I'll probably also have at least one streaming gizmo (roku, appletv, etc). There's a component cable that leads back to the theater's media rack, along with several CAT5/6 cables. This to potentially allow display from sources there. So an AVR with support for at least two component and four HDMI inputs would seem necessary.

I've found it's nice to be able to watch various sources both with and without the use of the AVR driving in-ceiling speakers. Sometimes later in evening it's nice to watch TV with just the quieter sound level from the TV. So being able to bypass the receiver using component direct to the TV is a nice option. This leads to finding a TV with at least two each component and HDMI inputs.

But all of this falls prey to the problem of being usable by the wife (Wife Acceptance Factor). While still being versatile enough to allow for the geek factor.

So whose receivers have higher WAF numbers lately? Our old Pioneer Elite was pretty low on the that scale. It was just utterly cumbersome to deal with making source and output changes. Granted, a lot of this can be hidden behind clever programming with a remote. But eventually something gets out of sync and manual intervention ends up being needed.

Where to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Look for HDMI pass-through, which can allow HDMI switching even with the AVR "in standby", so that you can just use the TV speakers, without having to dual-run everything and deal with the WAF issues that all the extra switching causes.

Probably a better question overall, though, for the Receivers forum...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page