Securing/Storing Future cables in the wall. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So like so many have suggested here, i've got 5 CAT5e Cables run for future-proofing.
But how should i store all this extra wire? I've got a media area that has 3 2-gang plates occupied already.

So i'll need to somehow wiretie all this extra cable in the wall, while stil being easily accessible with the wall plate off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Coil up a foot or two, secure it with a zip tie either to the LV ring, or to a staple on the stud adjacent to the ring. You just need to keep it out of the way of the drywall crew. When it comes time to terminate, snip the zip tie and pull the wire out. After drywall is complete, leaving the wire loose in the wall is fine - but keeping it tied to the LV ring can ensure you'll be able to reach it later...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Electrician left 5-6' of cat5 on each ends, i know one day it will save the day.

But till then i'm like WTF to do with that much!

I zip tied it like you said, just thought someone might have a brilliant idea/solution..
Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 419
At the head end, having that much wire is a good thing. At the other end, it's probably overkill - but if you can coil it up out of the way, great. Otherwise I'd trim them to 1-2' - enough that you can hold the wire end in your hand while sitting comfortably to do the termination...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I typically coil the cables and fasten with a Velcro strap, and then put a screw threw the Velcro into the stud. If the cables come down from above, I usually let it hang.

You can buy zip ties with screw holes, too.

Zip ties can hurt category cables, be gentle. Nothing tight.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Uhoh, i got a bit rough running the last of the cat5 cables, hopefully didnt damage them pulling them around a corner.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You're probably fine. But for future reference, it's always good practice to pull extra, if you're DIY. Category cable is relatively cheap - labor cost is the most expensive aspect of pulling cables. And, it's almost zero extra effort, if you have multiple boxes.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone