InWall Speakers and Metal Studs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question on installation of in wall speakers in a building with metal/aluminum studs... If there is a stud in the way of where I would like to place a L, R, or C channel, is re-framing a possibility with metal studs? If it is, a linking to a DIY would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Just cut out the metal stud and be done with it. My guess is that the wall would be fine without the support of that one stud. I just did the same thing for my in-wall Polk CC but it was a wood stud. If you haven't purchased or decided on in-wall speakers, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Polk's 265RTs (L & R) and the 255C-RT (CC). I also went with 65RTs as surrounds and RC80i's as rear surrounds. More info in my thread in my sig. line. Good luck!

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #3 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Just cut out the metal stud and be done with it. My guess is that the wall would be fine without the support of that one stud. I just did the same thing for my in-wall Polk CC but it was a wood stud. If you haven't purchased or decided on in-wall speakers, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Polk's 265RTs (L & R) and the 255C-RT (CC). I also went with 65RTs as surrounds and RC80i's as rear surrounds. More info in my thread in my sig. line. Good luck!

So cut the stud my HDTV is hanging from.... ? cool.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDGaal View Post

So cut the stud my HDTV is hanging from.... ? cool.gif

That depends. Isn't your TV mount attached to more than one stud? It might still be OK if it is attached to at least two studs and it is a fairly thin (light) TV. Hard call there.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #5 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 PM

Liked: 13
Randomly cutting studs out of your wall is a really bad idea . Metal stud is less dangerous to do this with , but still a bad Idea.
Mark , I hope that wood stud you cut isn't in a load bearing wall , you just changed the structural integrity of your house if it's load bearing. I'm guessing that you have no idea whether or not it is or you wouldn't have given such unsound advise .
Annapolis , remove a section of metal stud , or any stud you have to distribute the load that stud was carrying to another location. Look for " how to frame a window" how - to's specific to metal framing , the process is the same . You will greatly simplify your life if you can adjust your in wall placement to miss the studs . If you follow the "just cut it " advise your wall probably won't fall down , but theres a better chance of getting some annoying wall rattles because everything is not tied together properly.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #6 of 6 Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 AM

Go get 2 pieces of top/bottom "C" channel to frame in the opening, a handful of metal screws, and do it right. Especially if there's a TV hanging off of the cut stud.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
In Wall Speakers , Polk Audio 265rt Ea 3 Way In Wall Speaker , Polk Audio Dual 5 25 Two Way Center Channel In Wall Speaker 255c Rt
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page