Stumped! Need suggestions for TV placement & custom cabinets in new home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm moving into a new house next month and the current TV/home theater configuration and custom cabinetry won't work for my setup. I need some thoughts/suggestions from the contractors and designers out there!

As you can see from the photos below, the current setup has a TV that perfectly fits the installed cabinetry. But, the screen size isn't to my liking (I've got a 50" Pioneer plasma that I want to keep). And, ideally, I'd like to have room for stereo and center-channel speakers. Unfortunately, this is the only practical spot in the living room for a TV.

My first thought was to knock out the wall to the right of the tv/cabinet to expand the bay where the cabinets are, then raise the above-screen cabinets and build out new cabinetry to go all the way across to the right exterior wall, where the knocked-out wall was. Unfortunately, there's HVAC duct behind those walls to the right of the screen going up to the second floor, so my options are extremely limited.

My second thought was to add a false wall where the TV currently sits, then mount my TV to the center stud and add in-wall speakers. But that leaves me with off-center cabinetry below the left side of the screen only. I suppose I could either: (1) tear out all of the cabinetry and build a floor-to-ceiling false wall, which would eliminate all space for component storage, or (2) add a cabinetry facade to the right of the existing cabinets, in front of the wall hiding the ductwork. Neither of these options are very practical (with option 1 I'd have no storage, with the facade it would have to be recessed from the current wall to be flush with the existing cabinets).

I am stumped by what to do here and welcome all thoughts and suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
How wide is the space, and how deep (front to back)?

You can get mounts that extend out a bit, though your area looks fairly deep
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'd guess about 8 inches. Interesting suggestion, and I appreciate it, but I worry about how that would look.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping this up in hopes of getting some additional suggestions.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What about bringing the cabinet flush with the wall on the right and then extending the cabinet to the left (in front of the end of the wall).

Quick Sketch:

Created with GIMP
Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I think that's what I'm going to do. Either that or do a recessed cabinet facade on the right side -- will leave it up to the contractor to do the cheapest/easiest option.

Thanks for the input! I'll update in about a month with progress pics.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Make sure your new plan has a provision for forward firing speakers. My Panasonic does not, and dialog is virtually unintelligible without these HTIB speakers.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

I am either going to wall mount my FCL speakers or go in-wall. Leaning towards some nice in-walls at the moment but I will probably only be in the place for around 5 years and I worry what that may do to the resale value. There are already a pair of speakers in the ceiling that will be great for surrounds (weird that those are the only built-ins, but I'm thinking that since they are already there, additional in-walls shouldn't be any more of a detracting factor for future prospective buyers).

The sub is still a big question mark. I've got a great Hsu VTF2mkIII but I don't know if there's a place for it in the new room. If not I may go with an IB sub in the crawlspace below the room. Problem with that is that my wife will NOT approve of shaking walls floors. So, that component is still very much TBD.

Tags
Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3