Help with selecting right projector and screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All -

I'm currently having my house built and I'm planning to use the downstairs family room as my theater room. The room will not be a dedicated theater room, however we will be mostly watching TV in that room.

The basement has 1 nice sized egressed window that I'm planning to put something on it to control ambient light. I'm also not planning to use the projector as my main TV. I will, instead, mount my PN59D8000 on the wall, and use that most of the time. Most of the time, I'll probably be watching the projector at night when I don't need to worry about ambient light, but during special events I will watch during the day with the blinds (or drapes) closed.

So, here's my question. What type of a screen should I get? If I'm able to control the light, do I need to get an expensive ($1000+) screen, or could I get away with a $500.00 screen? One thing to note is that I need a motorized screen, as that will be mounted on the ceiling and will drop in front of the TV that's mounted on the wall.

I'm planning to have my audio gear in a TV stand, placed in front of the wall that the TV is mounted on. My center channel will be placed on top of the TV stand. My ceiling height is 9'.

I'm not sure how low the screen needs to be dropped, so I'm concerned that it may drop so low that the screen is blocking the center channel. I've heard about acoustically treated screens, but I don't think I can find a motorized acoustically treated screen in the price range I'm hoping to spend.

I guess my overall question is, if light can be controlled, do I NEED an expensive screen in order to get the best results, or can that be accomplished with a cheap screen as long as light is controlled? I have read that light colored ceilings and painted walls will have an impact on contrast, but I'm not willing to paint the room black, so I'll have to live with that.

So, if I had a completely black room and was able to control light, would I see any improvement in PQ with an expensive screen vs a cheap screen, assuming that I'm using a projector capable of producing an excellent picture?

The projector I'm considering to buy is an Epson 6020UB. My local dealer is quoting MSRP on that.

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

All -

I'm currently having my house built and I'm planning to use the downstairs family room as my theater room. The room will not be a dedicated theater room, however we will be mostly watching TV in that room.

The basement has 1 nice sized egressed window that I'm planning to put something on it to control ambient light. I'm also not planning to use the projector as my main TV. I will, instead, mount my PN59D8000 on the wall, and use that most of the time. Most of the time, I'll probably be watching the projector at night when I don't need to worry about ambient light, but during special events I will watch during the day with the blinds (or drapes) closed.

So, here's my question. What type of a screen should I get? If I'm able to control the light, do I need to get an expensive ($1000+) screen, or could I get away with a $500.00 screen? One thing to note is that I need a motorized screen, as that will be mounted on the ceiling and will drop in front of the TV that's mounted on the wall.

I'm planning to have my audio gear in a TV stand, placed in front of the wall that the TV is mounted on. My center channel will be placed on top of the TV stand. My ceiling height is 9'.

I'm not sure how low the screen needs to be dropped, so I'm concerned that it may drop so low that the screen is blocking the center channel. I've heard about acoustically treated screens, but I don't think I can find a motorized acoustically treated screen in the price range I'm hoping to spend.

I guess my overall question is, if light can be controlled, do I NEED an expensive screen in order to get the best results, or can that be accomplished with a cheap screen as long as light is controlled? I have read that light colored ceilings and painted walls will have an impact on contrast, but I'm not willing to paint the room black, so I'll have to live with that.

So, if I had a completely black room and was able to control light, would I see any improvement in PQ with an expensive screen vs a cheap screen, assuming that I'm using a projector capable of producing an excellent picture?

The projector I'm considering to buy is an Epson 6020UB. My local dealer is quoting MSRP on that.

I've only had a "cheap" screen from at Visual Apex but it looks great to me in a totally light controlled room. You can look at the motorized screens they offer for different comparisons. Also they offer package deals with included accessories you might also need here

http://www.visualapex.com/projector-package-deals/for-home-theater.asp

Also have you considered the Epson 5020 which I believe is the exact same unit as the 6020 (minus a spare bulb, and mount) but I hint is substantially cheaper.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page