Flat panel receptacles...recessed or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im in the process of having a media room done, I have power at the TV level and some sort of orange conduit at tv level run to AV equipment level. These are all 'on the wall', they are not recessed at all. Is it necessary to use recessed 'boxes' like I see in some installs? Also, if I don't use a power bridge, how do I go about surge protecting the TV if its plugged in behind it? Just want to get some insight since the installers have done this so far and I am still at 'stud' stage...no drywall yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post

Im in the process of having a media room done, I have power at the TV level and some sort of orange conduit at tv level run to AV equipment level. These are all 'on the wall', they are not recessed at all. Is it necessary to use recessed 'boxes' like I see in some installs? Also, if I don't use a power bridge, how do I go about surge protecting the TV if its plugged in behind it? Just want to get some insight since the installers have done this so far and I am still at 'stud' stage...no drywall yet.

Much easier to use a recessed outlet for both power and low-volt cables. The ultra-thin TVs almost require it to get that flush with the wall. If it's under construction now, do it right, you'll be happier later when you try to make it all work.

A recessed outlet, especially one not facing outwards, make it easier to add a surge protector. There are "built-in" outlet surge protectors (can't vouch for them), too.

Look at the Arlington TV Box line, especially the newer 8x10" box which has the outlet at a right angle to the wall surface:

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/communications/8-inch-by-10-inch-tv-box/TVB810

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, but the receptacles down below, behind the AV equipment do not need recessed correct? Also, how many outlets do I need behind the TV? Just one?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
That's what I did. I used the Monoprice version of the Powerbridge, but I have the TV plugged into it, and a few video cables run. Everything else is on the shelf at the side. Mine has just normal outlets there, but whether or not they need to be recessed kinda depends on your layout smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post

OK, but the receptacles down below, behind the AV equipment do not need recessed correct? Also, how many outlets do I need behind the TV? Just one?

Correct, I wouldn't put recessed outlets behind the AV equipment, only behind the TV... And you should only need one duplex (2-plug) electrical outlet behind the TV.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page