Thoughts on surge protection/power conditioning? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2013, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I'm going cross-eyed reading all the forums, reviews and technical standards on surge protection and power conditioning. Most of the forum threads I found were a bit old and so were the products discussed. So I'd like to hear some current opinions and reviews.

Here's my situation. I'm putting a home theater room in the basement. The basement is already fully finished, so I can't really run dedicated circuits like I would prefer. So I am working with existing outlets and wiring. I am able to separate some of my equipment. I have the projector on one circuit and the rest of the A/V equipment on a different circuit. I've got the projector plugged into an APC BE550G surge protector/battery backup.

My question is for the remainder of my equipment. I have a powered sub, a Denon receiver, PS3 and a cable box to plug in together. So I don't think it is a lot of equipment drawing any big amount of current. But I do want to protect the equipment from major surges as well as minor voltage fluctuations caused by house AC kicking on or any other minor surges. Maybe I'm being overprotective, but I'd rather spend a little cash now for peace of mind.

But there are so many products out there! I only need protection from anything coming in thru the coax cable and power outlets. I don't have any phone lines hooked into the equipment or other connections.

I will probably put a whole house surge protector at my main breaker box as a first line of defense. The one I'm looking at will also accept my main coax cable. But now I want another line of protection at my equipment.

I don't think I need a battery backup, just surge protection. But I do like the idea of power conditioning to give clean and steady 120V.

So what do you suggest? What do you use? Is there one product that can protect coax and power with surge protection and also condition the power to clean 120V?

I have looked at Panamax, Tripp Lite, APC, and Ethereal products. I've read all about MOV vs series-mode and am willing to go either way. I'm also willing to spend up to around $250 if that's necessary.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate over products and types of protection. I'm just looking for your opinions. What do you use? Are you pleased with it? What did it cost and is it worth it? Do you use something like what I might be looking for?

Thanks for helping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Do a forum search for surge protector in this forum and the one below it, there are a couple of resent threads on the subject
post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Install a whole-house device. Make sure the coax is properly grounded where it enters the building. Install a coaxial surge suppressor if you like. You don't need power conditioning.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Have you tried Belkin PureAv yet? I have one for my system and I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-Theater-Power-Console/dp/B000T9DHZW

You can get it for $100 even on a different Amazon link. I posted the one above because the link is shorter, but the going price is $100 including shipping.

Denon AVR-2313CI
Klipsch RW-12D on Gramma
JBL Northridge Series N24|| x 6
JBL Northridge Series N-CENTER||
Large box of Milk Duds chocolate caramel candy
post #6 of 7 Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I just ordered an Eaton Cutler Hammer CHSPT23PACK whole house surge protector 3-pack, from a local electric supply house. Covers power, POTS, and coax, at the service entrance. My electrician will install it when it arrives.

I like the Tripplite Isobar products for point of use protection.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 7 Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've used these: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-51120-1-Panel-Protector-240-Volt/dp/B00081K55Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

Although I used the model that installs outdoors. After having three of them fail (yes, $600 worth of worthless "protection") from non-power surges over the course of several years, I've given up on them. That is, these failed where the lights on the front simply go out. Anyway, I've heard my power company charges $50 to install surge suppression at the meter, then $5/month rental fee. Given that I spent close to $600 in a few years, I'm going to go with the power company.

Bob
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Belkin Ap41300fc10 Pf60 Pureav Home Theater Power Console Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page