Hi all - I started to post this on the dedicated thread and then it was politely pointed out to me that I was in the wrong place.
Anyways, I am finishing part of my basement and I could use some input on what I should be buying and where my money is best spent.
Here is some current pics of the space. The entire room is roughly 17x17.
The sump pump is going to be a closet, and the area by the pole is where I think I am going to put my computer. I wish the original home builders had used steel beams so I didn't have to have these supports here, but oh well.
The area on the left side is where I am putting a nice comfy couch. The drop here is for stairs (I live in a bi-level house).
The right side wall here is where I am picturing the focus of the room (where I put the TV screen)
The wall the TV will go is roughly 15 feet wide and about 7.5 feet tall.Questions
- Are there any special considerations when looking into flooring? I was told carpet is the way to go, but does the kind of carpet matter?
- I am pretty set on putting in a drop ceiling. I know this is not ideal for a home theater, but can you recommend any material I can put in without breaking the bank? I saw some other threads had suggested using Ceilume.
- Projector suggestions? I saw some really good reviews for the BenQ 1070 at pretty low price. I also was looking at the Epson 5020, but it is considerably more expensive.
- How important is the projector screen given that I am in a room that I have full control over lighting.
- Suggestions for a sound system?
Overall, I am hoping to keep the project under $10k. I am doing most of the work myself. I believe I have used about $1,800 of the budet to frame and drywall the room.