Any ways I could reduce speaker vibrations around room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi people. I have just received the first two speakers of my surround setup, and give them a try out yesterday. Their brilliant, but very boomy and it's only a 2.0 at the moment. I have neighbours and these speakers are going in my cinema room upstairs, the floor boarding up there is wood also, which I don't think helps very much. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to reduce the boomy vibrations hitting the floor?, maybe something to put underneath?

The speakers I have are the Wharfedale Xarus 5000.

Edit: forgot to say that according to the speakers manual my speakers should be 200mm away from the wall so I adjusted them last night, should help a little.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 16
You may benefit from decoupling your speakers if there are genuine vibration problems. Ethan Winer has long suggested a quick and easy test that’s great for figuring out if decoupling will be of benefit – have a friend lift your speaker off its stand by 1/4" while you’re in your usual listening position. If you can tell there is improvement while the speaker is removed from its physical connection to the room, decoupling can help. There are a number of methods people have used to achieve this; firm open-cell foam, sorbothane, or even stacks of mouse pads, to name a few, underneath a non-resonant base. Often people can find something that works “well enough” with materials just around the house, but if you need to purchase materials, they’re pretty affordable too.

However, that “boomyness” you mentioned usually means you need treatment instead of (or in addition to) decoupling, and the best place to start with that is bass trapping in corners if at all possible. The Acoustical Treatments Master Thread is a great place to go to get some advice once you pin down what your room’s issues are.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I just did a little looking around and found something called a Subdude. Would putting these underneath every speaker help with reducing the vibrations? BTW they are floor standing speakers with no stands underneath, there just flat at the bottom.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM

For vibrations, yes, a Subdude can help. However, for what they cost, they're surprisingly easy to make yourself for less than sticker price. Really, all you need is a slab of MDF as a base (though plywood could work in a pinch) and dampening material underneath. Firm open-cell foam (meaning difficult to compress, not rigid and inflexible) is what's in the Subdude, but "acoustical foam" isn't going to offer any special benefit in a DIY situation, so you can rifle through whatever you have in the garage or closet. What you're after is stability without excessive compression of the foam. If you don't happen to have these materials on hand, you should still be able to purchase them for less than a finished Subdude.

I'm not too familiar with what's offered in the UK, but I can't imagine it's drastically different than the US for such a basic project. The aforementioned Sorbothane can be had for a reasonable price here at least, as can foam. Actually, if you know how much each speaker weighs and their dimensions, I can figure out the dimensions and foam type you would want if you decide to go the new foam route. Of course, for convenience, you can't beat a pre-made product, and the Subdude does do what it claims. But if you don't mind spending a little extra time gathering materials you can save a few bucks.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well your right they are a little pricey, but I'm not the best at DIY myself smile.gif I think i'll go pre made route. I'm just wondering now about a subwoofer, would two subdudes be of help underneath a subwoofer or would just one be alright?

post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 PM

When you say two, do you mean stacking on top of each other, or placing them side-by-side because of your sub's size? The platform is 15"x15" I believe, so as long as you can confidently place your sub on it without stability problems, you'll be fine with one. Stacking two on top of each other won't improve performance.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Alright brilliant, yeah I meant on top of each other, sorry. Thanks for your help Carlo.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 PM

No problem, good luck with your room!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page