"Black out" treatment for angled window at cathedral ceiling??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a media room south window that is up at the peak of the roof pitch of a cathedral ceiling 14 feet tall. The shape is a right triangle with the hypotenuse running down the roof line 120 inches. The length along the wall is 48 inches and the base is 109 inches. I want to be able to put up some kind of window treatment that we can open and close, to use a projector during the day.
I've thought of getting vertical blinds and using a chop saw to cut them to fit the angle, but they will form an uneven 18 inch "stack" on the wall side and the WAF factor is not great. Also, they would need to be "cleated" off as the pull to draw them will be uphill.

I had a local company look at it, but they want $2400 for a pleated design of some sort. eek.gif

I'm hoping that there is some cost effective solution that the geniuses here can come up with. smile.gif
Mythought is some sort of "bottom up" pleated shade that can stack at one end.
Any ideas?confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you ever find a solution? I have a very similar issue/objective.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLG View Post

Did you ever find a solution? I have a very similar issue/objective.

Not really, perhaps this will jog the thread a little bit.
As a temporary fix, I got some rigid 1/2 inch foam insulation and cut out pieces that fit the inside of the window stops. I used some flexible 1 inch blue masking tape. This forms a protruding edge that "locks" the rigid foam into place . The result is that the tape seals the edges and forms a light tight barrier. Because the foam is so light, I can lift into place with a zip tie array that attaches to a telescoping roller frame. Total cost is <$50. It works well, but the WAF factor is low.
I hope there is a cost effective window treatment out there somewhere...
Do you have any ideas?
post #4 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Not really, perhaps this will jog the thread a little bit.
As a temporary fix, I got some rigid 1/2 inch foam insulation and cut out pieces that fit the inside of the window stops. I used some flexible 1 inch blue masking tape. This forms a protruding edge that "locks" the rigid foam into place . The result is that the tape seals the edges and forms a light tight barrier. Because the foam is so light, I can lift into place with a zip tie array that attaches to a telescoping roller frame. Total cost is <$50. It works well, but the WAF factor is low.
I hope there is a cost effective window treatment out there somewhere...
Do you have any ideas?
Not knowing what it looks like, but I assume newer constructions with no trim around the opening? I would add trim to the foam plug to over lamp the wall, paint everything and attach the trim to the wall with a couple of nail, screws, double face mounting tape.. whatever you like just to keep it in place. If the wife still is not happy, have an artist paint what you would see if the window was uncovered and adhere that to the foam... OR take a photos of the window with the plug out, and have it enlarged to the size of the window and put that on the plug.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Not knowing what it looks like, but I assume newer constructions with no trim around the opening? I would add trim to the foam plug to over lamp the wall, paint everything and attach the trim to the wall with a couple of nail, screws, double face mounting tape.. whatever you like just to keep it in place. If the wife still is not happy, have an artist paint what you would see if the window was uncovered and adhere that to the foam... OR take a photos of the window with the plug out, and have it enlarged to the size of the window and put that on the plug.

Thanks for the input. However, I'm certain there is no acceptable circumstances that involve having the foam permanently installed on the window...eek.gif
There must be some sort of "off the shelf" window shade or treatment to address this.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM

I've just started looking into electronic film that could be applied to the window. I'll let you know if I find a solution but the web sites look interesting if it works as portrayed.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLG View Post

I've just started looking into electronic film that could be applied to the window. I'll let you know if I find a solution but the web sites look interesting if it works as portrayed.

That would be way cool. Please keep us posted. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in it.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump. Anyone with new ideas for blacking out unusually shaped windows?
post #9 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can you upload a picture for us. That may help. Thanks

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Can you upload a picture for us. That may help. Thanks

Great suggestion.
I have never tried to upload a picture, but I'll shoot some and play around with it. Do you just attach it like (like an email) using the paperclip icon?
Thanks
post #11 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Great suggestion.
I have never tried to upload a picture, but I'll shoot some and play around with it. Do you just attach it like (like an email) using the paperclip icon?
Thanks

Use the one that looks like a little picture the 'image' button. If you make it an attachment you force people to have to download it.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #12 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Via Photobucket.com - When you're looking at the image on Photobucket, you'll see that it gives you a few links, Email, direct, HTML and IMG. Copy the IMG link by simply clicking on the IMG link and simply paste it here in your thread. It's already wrapped in the "IMG" tag, so the forum will do the rest to display it for you smile.gif

Dan

My set up

post #13 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 AM

So I found that there are a couple of places that make electronic window material.

www.prodisplay.com

And

www.smarttint.com

I got a price from Smart tint of $80/sq. ft.which seemed high until I found custom blinds that cost $1500 per window for a custom hunter Douglas shade.

Www.the-window-treatment-expert.com has those.

Hope this helps you all. I'm still analyzing options. Sadly all expensive ones. eek.gif
post #14 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Family in town this weekend for my daughter's recital. I'll get on it this coming week.
Please watch for it and help me find a solution. There are so many creative people here, that I'm hopeful...smile.gif
Thanks.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am exicted to try and find a solution, so I shot a couple of pictures. There are two south facing windows above and to the left of the electric drop down screen.
The first picure is from back in the room. The second is a close up. One is a trapezoid and one is a triangle. There is AC power up in the corner (for the screen).
I need a WAF acceptable solution to black out both windows, either separately or together. wink.gif
The controls have to be either a cord down the left hand wall, or an electric switch of some sort.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page