Newbie questions regarding TV/Hard Drive/WiFi Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there

I am a bit lost with all the different devices and things that I could or can get and use

There is Apple TV, Boxee, Roku, WD Live TV and Android TV, not to forget to mention the build it yourself PC types and the list goes on....

What I am seeking is a device that has wireless capability to join the WiFi home network and the Internet (if need be)

The key features that I require are:

* Ability to connect external hard drive (up to 2TB)

* Ability to access the hard drives contents over the WiFi with the hard drive still connected to the device (Very important)

* Ability to have subtitles/closed captions by way of .srt files

* Can play .mkv .avi with files reaching up to 10GB in size

* Output to 1080 with HDMI

Anything else is a bonus (Especially being able to record TV (With Subtitles!) This would be a nice feature)

The whole purpose of this device is so that I do not have to take the hard drive off the TV and take it upstairs copy the files onto it and then take it back downstairs again (My TV plays .mkv through the USB input and also supports Subtitles) - It is a Samsung TV that also uses AllShare but I do not use this function but would be willing to if there was a device that could do this.

I can only have WiFi because I don't want to spend lots of money to get cat6 run through the house down to the TV.

I realize that by having WiFi if I was streaming from the Internet there is a possibility of cut outs - but this will be used primarily for playing back .avi and .mkv files that I will be copying onto the hard drive hence the ability to be able to copy and paste files into the hard drive from my PC wirelessly so that I dont have to carry the damn thing up and down the stairs all the time.

I've thought of setting up an old laptop but I don't have one powerful enough to do what I need so I would rather spend the money on a device specifically made for this. Speaking of money - I am fairly cost conscious so I would like to try to keep the price under $100.00

* Also I do not want my PC to have to be on in order to stream over the WiFi - I want it to run directly from the hard drive

I have thought of getting a Wireless Access Point that has a USB port that does DLNA and plug this into the TV using the AllShare feature (Not sure if this will work or not though) - This would probably be the cheapest bet and is 'always on'. ---- Possibly a TP-Link WR1043ND with the firmware changed over to DD-WRT or Tomato or something along those lines.
If this is a viable option please let me know.

In the good old days I would use a hacked Wii and I could access the files over the local WiFi and it would play back the movies all in one neat little box, except as we all know this has become a bit obsolete and will not play anything better than DvD Rips. So it's time to find the next best thing.

As I mentioned the subtitles are very important as I am hard of hearing.

If anyone could please give me some pointers I would very much appreciate it

Thanks and kind regards,

VB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone???
post #3 of 3 Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 PM

I'd say your best bet is to use a cheap computer and run a program by the name of Plex. It'll easily allow you to do the things you want. A quick google search will give you all the help you need. Why are you opposed to using an old computer? I use an 8 year old computer and it runs Plex in 1080p without a problem. (I didn't notice the needs hdmi but I'd just use VGA) Another alternative would be to keep the hard drive upstairs plugged into the computer you add files with, install plex and use an android tv, roku, or Apple TV ( all these can use plex) to stream the content to your Tv

I immediately regret this decision... These bears are massive!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player , Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page