Is Green Glue with double-drywall the cheapest way to soundproof a ceiling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an unfinished 250 sq ft. detached garage that I want to turn into a poker-room. I plan on using Acoustiblok underlayment to soundproof the walls only.

The ceiling is a pitch roof and I don't want to spend the money on Acoustiblok or Quietrock for the ceiling to save on costs. I was thinking of simply using GreenGlue between 2 layers of drywall for the ceiling.

Will greenglue work to provide sound insulation to the ceiling? I have a neighbor whose 2nd story master bedroom is adjacent to the garage, so basically their bedroom overlooks the garage and I definitely want to prevent sound from traveling upwards.

I probably won't be using it too much as a home theater... it will be used as a poker room for me and my buddies....so not as much low-frequency sound but more conversation frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Soundproofing isn't accomplished by a product. It is accomplished by assembling the system properly. So the ceiling design overall is what will make it for you. Decoupled ceiling with double 5/8" drywall as a start.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

The roof of my garage is a pitch roof. I plan on using the attic space for storage. Therefore I will have openings in the ceiling in order to access the stuff I store there. I'm not sure how I could install a decoupled ceiling in that scenario....? The openings would compromise the sound insulation.

Am I better off trying to decouple the ceiling or is there a way to decouple the drywall that hangs from the incline of the roof? That is why I am asking about green glue and double-drywalling the drywall that hangs from the pitch and using that in conjunction with Acoustiblok underlayment for the walls. So would that "system" / combination prove effective at sound insulation?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to add, is doing all of this soundproofing of my garage walls and ceiling an absolute waste if I can't find a way to soundproof my wooden garage door? My garage door is the old-fashioned wooden lift kind...not the newer aluminum rollup type. I glued some rigid foam boards to the back of the garage door since they are lightweight and won't throw off my garage door opener motor. I'm also thinking of using a sound-curtain to drape across the back of the garage door to further sound-insulate it.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
If you have openings (plural) in the ceiling, then you're not achieving much in terms of sound isolation.

The curtains and foam are not going to help. Build a complete double drywall room-within- a-room, including ceiling off the old garage doors with double drywall.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

So is soundproofing in general an all-or-nothing approach? Building a complete "room-within-a-room" is probably more expensive or complicated than I am willing to do. I simply want to reduce the amount of sound that leaks out of my garage so I won't wake my neighbors next door.

Am I better of not doing any kind of soundproofing at all than doing some soundproofing in the hopes of achieving *some* measure of sound reduction??
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page