Placement of receptacle, ethernet connector, and conduit in anticipation of TV mount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We purchased a new home after decisions had been made that I would have made differently. One of those is for placement of the above boxes. As they are now, they are vertically stacked in a recessed cutout large enough for a 70+" screen, with the power receptacle smack dab in the center and the others immediately above it. I am looking at TV mounts for our Samsung LN46A650A1F and had recommended to me the Peerless SA761PU. Unfortunately, the unit has a vertical central component that would appear to cover the faceplates (www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/products/SA761PU). I will seek suggestions elsewhere about other comparable swivel mounts, but my question is:

What configuration of those three (more?) infrastructure components (power, ethernet/IR connections, conduit for the future) gives the most flexibility for consideration of various swivel mounts, as we already are planning a remodel of a different part of the house? (I realize that given enough drywall mud, nothing is irreparable...)

Thanks
Ken K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Not sure I understand the question, but the multi-gang recessed boxes from Arlington Industries (and others with competing solutions) are the best products for behind-the-TV outlets. The newer models have boxes perpendicular to the wall which provides even more bending room for the connectors.

http://www.aifittings.com/landing/tv-boxes/

I haven't used it (it came out recently), but my favorite of those boxes is the 8x10" box...

I used the 2, 3 and 4-gang TV Boxes in my house. I'd use the 2-gang in the future only for TVs on swivel / articulating mounts where the outlet(s) may be visible. Otherwise, the 3-4 gang boxes provide a lot more flexibility...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. When I return home later today, I will take a photo and post it. The issue is that the orientation of the present setup is such that it appears to preclude the use of a swivel mount such as the Peerless because the vertical bar of the mount would cover the receptacle and the TV/ethernet connector plates. Having a recessed box would solve that, clearly, as the mount would just fit over it no matter whether the mount had vertical or horizontal attachments.

Check for the photo tonight/tomorrow.

KenK
Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If the existing box(es) can't be moved in a reasonably inexpensive manner, have you looked at the Chief mounts? Not the least expensive mount you could buy, but top quality. Most of their articulated arm mounts have slender vertical components that can shifted off center if necessary. They have very detailed drawings of their offerings online, so you could see exactly where things would or ideally, would not, overlap.
http://www.chiefmfg.com/TV-Mounts/Wall-Full-Swing

underachiever extraordinaire
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Look up the dimensional drawings of the mounts online, before buying them, to see if they'll accommodate where your recessed TV boxes are located.

The last (really only) time I mounted a TV, I bought the mount before cutting the hole for the TV box.

If you start with a single or double gang wall plate, at the expected TV location, you have the option to expand the hole to the left or right, when replacing the single outlet with a 4 gang TV box.

It's all covered by the TV, and you could easily move the location of the outlet, and cover the old hole with a blank wall plate. Or, leave the existing outlet, and just add a TV box above or below it, running power to the the new TV box from the outlet.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the space and the ridiculous placement of the boxes (if these contractors and developers would only ask....!):

The top is a conduit (smurf tube), the middle is TV barrel connector-internet-telephone, and the bottom is power. I will have to look at the length of cabling shoved into the boxes to see what can be done about moving the middle box with the cable and CAT5e. I assume I can purchase some extension for the smurf tube.

Now, my assumption is that I may not actually need the middle box, as, assuming I purchase an A/V receiver, everything is hooked up to the A/V receiver and only a long HDMI cable is run to the TV with, perhaps, a CAT5e cable and an IR extension cable, if I am beginning to understand things.

Anyway, the purpose in showing this was to show that a mount like the Peerless SA761PU will not work as it mounts vertically right over the present placement of the boxes. I like the Arlington TV boxes that were recommended and if I decide to find my drywall knives and purchase 5# box of mud, I may tear apart the wall and install one of those. Very cool...

Thanks
Ken K
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I would choose a different mount, based on the likely interference. Lots of others that would mount at center or below in that niche, and allow for the TV to be placed "high" on the bracket to center it height-wise and clear all of that.

Do you need the articulating (can't tell where this is placed in relation to the room), or would a tilt up/down be sufficient?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

The articulating arm is highly desirable, as the view from the kitchen looks across the face of the TV. With the articulating arm, especially one that extends up to 24" or so, my wife could pull it out and turn it almost 90 degrees so that she could work in the kitchen and see the TV. The other alternative would be to install a cable box in the kitchen, but that would take up valuable cabinet space, require an IR receiver placement, yada-yada.

As I understand it, the price differential in the various mounts is related to the quality (translate= ease of use, stability of holding the position of the tv when moved) and a certain amount paid for the name. I plan to upgrade to no more than a 60" TV as some time in the near future, so I will keep that in mind when purchasing the mount (although I will move the older 46" tv somewhere and will need a mount for it, likely a similar swivel mount for the planned relocation.

I want something beefy that will take multiple "swivels" over time, which is easily positioned, and which will hold that position until re-positioned (won't drift on its own).

Suggestions welcome... !

Ken K

P.S. Thanks to all of you who have participated in the discussion already. I have found much valuable information.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkrone View Post

The articulating arm is highly desirable, as the view from the kitchen looks across the face of the TV. With the articulating arm, especially one that extends up to 24" or so, my wife could pull it out and turn it almost 90 degrees so that she could work in the kitchen and see the TV. The other alternative would be to install a cable box in the kitchen, but that would take up valuable cabinet space, require an IR receiver placement, yada-yada.

"kitchen" TV, HDMI-over-cat5e, RF remote. Will get used more often that swinging the TV around, IMO...
Quote:
As I understand it, the price differential in the various mounts is related to the quality (translate= ease of use, stability of holding the position of the tv when moved) and a certain amount paid for the name. I plan to upgrade to no more than a 60" TV as some time in the near future, so I will keep that in mind when purchasing the mount (although I will move the older 46" tv somewhere and will need a mount for it, likely a similar swivel mount for the planned relocation.

Yes, generally best to match the mount to the TV/usage, and take the mount with you wherever that TV goes, assuming you change sizes when you upgrade...

Jeff

Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd add an additional recessed 3-4 gang TV box, and leave those others, either as-is or covered with blank plates.

An articulating mount will allow easy installation and cable management.

I'd put a TV in the kitchen too.

Most articulating mounts wouldn't interfere with those boxes, but download the dimensional drawings before you buy.

Do some research, buy the mount, then add another recessed TV box or LV ring if you need to.

Figure out where the studs are located.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 PM

Liked: 32
Since that is all drywall, you can cut a large square or rectangle, remove those three boxes, redo, along with placing plywood or 2x6 behind the drywall before you put it back up, to hold the tv mount. Blame it on subs that are paid by the house, not the hour, that does crap jobs like this.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

neurorad, please educate me. What is an LV ring?

Never mind. Figured it out. Low voltage ring...

Thanks,
KenK
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkrone View Post

neurorad, please educate me. What is an LV ring?

Never mind. Figured it out. Low voltage ring...

Thanks,
KenK
A box without the back.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, this is a nice big TV box, from Intuitive, available in black or white:

http://www.intuitiveusa.com/html/products.php

Tags
Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color