Does my Media area need its own circuit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe the electrician wired the whole room together. I was thinking it might be better to have the plugs that will service my TV, blu-ray, and Audio stuff on their own 15A circuit? Yes or not? right now, it will simply require running a single 14g wire back to the panel and hooking it up. Once drywall goes up, not so much. But for my setup, is there any reason to even split those devices off the main circuit for the room that has lights/outlets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I didn't do this in my family room, and actually ran into a bit of trouble. With all the room lights on, bringing the amp on (old amp with no in-rush current limiting) would trip the breaker.

As you said - it's easy/cheap to do now, neither is true once the drywall is up. You may be perfectly fine depending on how many other rooms/walls/lights are in that circuit, but given the chance, a circuit here would be prudent. I don't think anyone would claim that to be overkill.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Im debating it because there are literally two outlets on that wall, LOL. The TV will be served with a power bridge. There will be a surge protector/condition plugged in near the floor and everything will be plugged into that. Didn't know if it was even really necessary from a 'noise' standpoint or something.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

wont a single 15 amp circuit be more than enough for a 5.1 surround system, 65" TV, and blu ray player? I could have a few extras on it later, but its a media room, not a dedicated HT.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
It's more than enough for that gear - the concern would be what else *besides* that gear is on the circuit. That gear alone is probably 3-5 Amps, with some peak during startup or really loud moments. If it's just the outlets/lights in one room, you're fine. If the circuit also feeds another room, more walls, etc. - then you might want to consider a dedicated circuit, but from your description, it's probably ok as is...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Its got a bunch of outlets, can lights and possibly a ceiling fan on it.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If it makes you feel better add another circuit!
post #8 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 AM

I had the same questions when i did my circuits, thought i opted for 20A. And i have about 7 other outlets on that circuit.

Most of what i heard from electrician was that if it dont suck or blow, it wont need much.
So like other posters said, you should be good, but if you want/can go ahead...
post #9 of 10 Old 11-06-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

My setup ended up being 5.1 system, Denon X2000 receiver, Rythmik 12" subs and a 75" TV.

I have not hooked up the 'dedicated' 15A circuit, but im thinking my current circuit with lights will still suffice. Any objections? Should I 'enable' the dedicated 15A outlet or just try it as is and see how it does?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I split my outlets into 2 seperate circuits in my media room (still in progress). Then I split my lighting up into 2 seperate ones as well. Then for my PJ outlet I added it's own circuit. I'm carrying this type of theme through out my basement. I have to add a small sub panel because Iv'e filled my main panel but I think it's worth it. Now I am doing this because I can now while building. It may be over kill I don't know but I'd rather be on the safe side rather then have regrets later.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page