Segregating DirecTV from rest of system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. Long time reader of the forums...first time poster.

So, to give a little background: I had my mini home theater all set up. Onkyo TX-NR414 receiver hooked into an Epson Ex7200 projector, with a DirecTV DVR and my gaming systems all hooked into it. In my podcast studio I had my 47" LG TV hooked up to another DirecTV receiver and my computer. Both setups worked well for me.

Then...lightning struck the dish. The surge fried both DirecTV receivers, and smoked the HDMI ports on every device in it's path. Thankfully, the gaming systems weren't connected in at the time...and surprisingly it didn't surge through the computer...or I'd be an emotional wreck right now...lol. Also, both the TV and projector power on and seem to function as normal...but without HDMI functionality. So, I'm planning on replacing the main boards in all my equipment, which is substantially cheaper than buying all new. As much as I'd like to upgrade to a 1080p or 4k projector...just don't have the budget right now.

Now, onto my dilemma: Once I get my setup back in action, I don't want any of the DirecTV equipment touching my systems...or if they do...I want to have some safety measures in place should another surge come through. The satellite cable is already hooked up to a ground rod just outside the house, and all equipment is hooked up to surge supressors. I'm thinking WHDI would be the route for me to go, so the only device downhill from the satellite receiver is the transmitter (a lot cheaper to replace than the whole home theater setup)...but wanted to get your opinions/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguru View Post

The satellite cable is already hooked up to a ground rod just outside the house...
If that ground rod is not bonded to the ground rod for the AC service, that may have contributed to the damage. Electricity does not magically disappear into the ground. It seeks a path back to where it came from. In doing so, it can create a high voltage between two unbonded ground rods. The earth is a lousy conductor.

There is no such thing as an effective surge protective device for HDMI. The only thing you can do is lose the metallic connection between the receiver and the rest of your gear. You can go fiber or RF. Fiber will be more reliable. There are just too many things that can interfere with RF.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Can you give some details on the location of the dish?

I agree strongly with Colm. There should not be any 2nd ground rod, unless it's connected (bonded) to the first ground rod.

I doubt your satellite dish was hit by lightning. I'm guessing there was a nearby lightning strike, the surge travelled in the ground, and travelled up from the ground rod into your house via the dish/mast ground wire.

Your dish should be connected to the house ground, and not a 2nd ground rod. Let me dig up some links.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

This thread is a discussion of how to properly (and improperly) ground a dish that is located far from the service entrance. It includes a link to a Mike Holt graphic that goes into more detail.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/199170-dish-far-from-house-ground/

The NEC states that all incoming cables need to be properly grounded. A 2nd ground rod is only OK if that rod is bonded/connected to the service entrance ground rod with large gauge copper wire (can't recall if 6-10 AWG).

Please read that linked thread, to the conclusion. I don't know where you dish is located, so I can't tell if my solution would work for you.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

If there is a different voltage potential between the 2 rods, then the surge will travel through the house wiring toward the other rod. The 2 rods need to be at the same voltage potential - solved with bonding. This is a common screw up, and the pro installers know to avoid this. The pro will install the dish near the service entrance.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson Ex7200 Multimedia Projector V11h367120 , Onkyo Tx Nr414
Gear in this thread - Ex7200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page