The Bar and Theater are now OPEN! - AVS Forum
General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms > The Bar and Theater are now OPEN!
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 11:26 PM 06-24-2013
After several years of sitting in an unfinished basement staring at concrete walls, I finally have something worthy enough to post on this great forum. I certainly used this forum during the 3 years of planning and have to admit to stealing several great ideas. Certainly not as elaborate as many on here but we are very happy with the results. So without further delay, feel free to comment or offer criticism on my recently completed project. On to the details.....

Video: BenQ 1070 projector, Visual Apex 106" screen, 42" Samsung LED TV behind bar
Audio: Denon 3313 AVR, Def Tech 8060 towers front, Def Tech 8040 Center, Def Tech DI6.5 Ceiling mounted rear surround, (4) DI6.5 in zone 2 for bar and pool table, iPad mounted in wall

crzyc's Avatar crzyc 06:49 AM 06-25-2013
Looks awesome!
nineteen70's Avatar nineteen70 06:53 AM 06-25-2013
nice setup
hltr's Avatar hltr 09:21 AM 06-25-2013
Congrats on your build!
dvmiller's Avatar dvmiller 10:22 AM 06-25-2013
Very good work dmitch. Nice clean lines, love the ceiling squares and the neat lighted movie posters!
jhsfosho's Avatar jhsfosho 02:34 PM 06-25-2013
What do you use the iPad that is mounted in the wall for?
Rick S5's Avatar Rick S5 04:55 PM 06-25-2013
The basement looks great. Bar area looks very inviting.

You're ahead of me on your build - my bar cabinets are being built right now and I expect they will be installed in about 3 weeks. I noticed your bar stools and wondered if you would share your opinion of them and then make/Model and price as I'm looking for something similar.

thanks,
Rick
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 11:38 AM 06-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsfosho View Post

What do you use the iPad that is mounted in the wall for?

iPad is used to control music for bar and pool table area. I'm sure that I will find other uses as well.
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 11:41 AM 06-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S5 View Post

The basement looks great. Bar area looks very inviting.

You're ahead of me on your build - my bar cabinets are being built right now and I expect they will be installed in about 3 weeks. I noticed your bar stools and wondered if you would share your opinion of them and then make/Model and price as I'm looking for something similar.

thanks,
Rick

After learning how much bar stools cost, we looked for cheap alternatives since we needed 10 stools total for the bar and counter area by the theater. We found these at menards and the were about $70. Very comfortable and seem to be sturdy.
tlogan6797's Avatar tlogan6797 02:21 PM 06-27-2013
I can't figure out barstool prices. I see a wood stool, with back and swivels that I like. Add arms and it adds at least $150 to the price. I mean, I'm all for a guy making a profit but, $150 for two arms is ridiculous. And I see it over and over, again and again.
javeryh's Avatar javeryh 03:29 PM 06-27-2013
Really really nice! What are the dimensions of the theater area? It looks like you have one row of recliners and then the bar area behind that - is that right? Let's see some more pics! smile.gif
hltr's Avatar hltr 07:30 PM 06-27-2013
dmitch, what is the overhang of the bar top, from knee wall to tip of bar rail? Thanks in advance if you have the time...
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 09:33 PM 06-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post

Really really nice! What are the dimensions of the theater area? It looks like you have one row of recliners and then the bar area behind that - is that right? Let's see some more pics! smile.gif

The theater area is 20' wide by 17' long. From the screen to the seating is right at 10', and the remaining 7' is the counter seating area and space behind the seating area to move. This is more of an open area rather than a dedicated theater so the seating is a dual reclining love seat and a reclining chair. Bean bag chairs and 5 seats at the counter to accommodate guests and kids friends. More pictures to come soon. Thanks for the compliments everyone!
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 09:37 PM 06-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hltr View Post

dmitch, what is the overhang of the bar top, from knee wall to tip of bar rail? Thanks in advance if you have the time...

The bar overhang is 10" from knee wall to edge of bar rail. I used standard 24" base cabinets for the lower bar and 10" was the best compromise between knee space, back over hang, and taking up more space in the room. Turned out to be a very comfortable overhang distance.
hltr's Avatar hltr 04:47 AM 06-28-2013
Thanks dmitch, I'll be building my top soon and I have to decide...
Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 03:32 PM 06-28-2013
Looks like a great space to relax!!

Are you using the ipad to play music through the AVR-3313 to Zone 2 and 3? Is the TV in the bar hooked up to the AVR?

I'm looking at picking up a 3313, hence all the 3313 questions.
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 03:54 PM 06-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

Looks like a great space to relax!!

Are you using the ipad to play music through the AVR-3313 to Zone 2 and 3? Is the TV in the bar hooked up to the AVR?

I'm looking at picking up a 3313, hence all the 3313 questions.

I have the iPad hard wired to the 3313 into the "CD" input. Then I can select to have music from my iTunes collection, Pandora, etc running into either all zones or just zone 2 which is by the bar and pool table. I have 2 DI6.5 speakers by the pool table and 2 by the bar running into Zone 2. I have had a movie running in the theater area for the kids with music playing at the same time by the bar with the grown ups. Has worked out well. I pre-wired an HDMI extender and a coax cable behind the bar TV. That way I have the HDMI running into the receiver so the same output can be playing on both the projector and the bar TV without a delay. I can also change the source on the TV to cable and watch cable TV independently from the 3313.

Still working on a few bugs but it is functional. Sometimes there are issues that I believe are handshake issues when switching between sources and the bar TV. Also trying to figure out how to get the harmony ultimate remote to work zone 2.

So far I've been more than pleased with the 3313. Have not tried anything with zone 3 yet as I don't see a need yet. But there is always something new to think about.....
Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 04:24 PM 06-28-2013
Very cool. Your setup is very similar to what I am building. The theater room is done with the exception of all the electronics, then a pool area behind the seating, then a bar/ pub room behind that. I'm picking up the 3313 tonight and the W1080ST is on order so it should be here next week. I'll pull some old cheap Yamaha speakers out of storage to get me up and running, but will replace them with Emotiva Airmotiv6 active monitors in the theater and Airmotiv 4s in the bar with a TV. I really only need 2 zones, but its nice the 3313 has three and I'm sure I'll find a use for it.
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 07:00 AM 11-24-2013

Finally got around to finishing off the "equipment rack". I had originally planned to order the metal face plates from Mid Atlantic for a completely smooth and finished look, but the CFO wasn't on board after previous cost over runs.....

So I followed some of the previous build threads here and copied the idea of making my own out of finished plywood and spray paint. It passed the friends test even though I know there are some imperfections, so I guess it will work until the real deal is in the budget. I left a little more space around the edges for the IR repeaters and everything works so that is a plus!

Just a little proof that if I can do it with limited tools and skill, anyone can.
pcarfan's Avatar pcarfan 08:30 AM 11-24-2013
Lovely media room
bluer101's Avatar bluer101 02:56 PM 11-24-2013
Very nice and simple room. I like this better than the really elaborate rooms. As for your equipment rack I did something similar about 10 years ago. Instead of wood I used foam core or corrugated card board to build my facial. It is easy to cut out with a razor blade and straight edge. Then to dress it off and hide imperfections I used a base black then used the fleck stone paint on top. Then cleared it to protect. I used to get many compliments on this cheap easy idea. When I build my dedicated theater I'm doing the same thing built into the wall.

Still I love your room and hope to start on mine in the next year.
JMEANS's Avatar JMEANS 11:02 AM 11-25-2013
Really love this man, clean-cut and very warm looking awesome job and great pics! You wouldn't by chance have square footage or better yet your floor plan? Little hard to get a feel of the entire layout. If not, no worries. Congrats on a inspiring space dmitch!
fst96se's Avatar fst96se 08:55 PM 12-10-2013
Love it!
lespurgeon's Avatar lespurgeon 10:34 PM 12-10-2013
Looks great. I'm trying to figure out the layout from those photos - could use a sketch.
dmitch1212's Avatar dmitch1212 10:45 AM 12-12-2013

Not the best image, and it got turned sideways.....

But, coming down the stairs, left is the theater area and right is the pool table area. Past the pool table area is the bar and bathroom. Disregard the multiple doors on the bathroom as I was revising the layout. Screen wall is at bottom of stairs on left. I had a built in area to surround the screen and provide storage under the screen. Front speakers are also housed in this built-in. There is a bar counter at the back of the room that seats 5 and has proven to be one of the best decisions in the whole build. A/V rack is in wall under the stairs with access from the small storage/water heater and furnace area. Behind the theater room is a large storage area. Squares over theater and bar are the layout for the recessed drop ceiling tiles in those areas. Recessed area in hallway between theater and bar is a trophy case. Pretty simple, but it flows well and does not feel crowded when there is a crowd.
Tags: Basement Bar , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Up
Mobile  Desktop