A system too simple? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm struggling to find the correct receiver / switch / whatever to hook up the following system:

Simple living room setup -- HDTV, Cable box, PlayStation 3 for Blu Rays & Netflix
The TV is hanging on the wall with in-wall wiring for aesthetics, so I can only have 1 HDMI going to the TV
Cable & PS3 both running on HDMI as well
Want to add 2 tower speakers and maybe a subwoofer (so 2.0 or 2.1)

All I want is a receiver that has:

2 HDMI in's
1 HDMI out
L/R speaker hookups
Can switch between the two sources with a remote
Isn't enormous because it has to sit on a shelf, under the cable box for space reasons

What I don't need:
Surround sound (it's the living room, not my primary home theater space)
A million different input options

Any suggestions on how to execute this efficiently? The speakers can either come with the receiver or be separate, doesn't really matter, but I don't have space for (or interest in) a sound bar.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I have a stereo receiver with 2 1980s speaker I have had since 1984 and a powered sub. The cable box and BRP send standard stereo analog audio out the RCA outs to the receiver. I use and powered HDMI Switch with remote to control switch the input devices to the projector/TV This requires a remote for the receiver and one for the HDMI switch or a universal you can program.

My system goes one more step in that the HDMI switch is a Matrix switch so it has 4 inputs and 4 outputs allowing me to send output to the Kitchen TV from the living room. You can either view the same device or a different device simultaneously. This drives up the cost of the switch so in your case you do not need the matrix switch unless you plan on adding another display.

Hope that helps.. you may find it easier to find a stereo receiver in the used market, better product for less money.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions. I would really love a device that is both receiver (for speakers) and switch (for handling 2 devices). I know I can get "something" that will handle that, I'm just wondering if there's anything relatively compact and that doesn't break the bank or become an eye-sore.

Right now I'm manually moving the HDMI cable from the cable box to the PS3 as needed. It's not elegant but it works. And I'm using the junky TV speakers. I don't have to change the system, but I would like better sound and more convenient switching that doesn't require physically moving a cable.

EDIT: What about something like a Marantz NR1403? Or is there something even simpler?

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1403-Slim-Line-Receiver/dp/B0081N916M
post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 374
That Marantz was the best solution I could think of. I'm surprised there's not more of these slim-line AVRs available, with a "reasonable" number of HDMI inputs and just a sprinkling of legacy inputs.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

It's really a hole in the market. I guess companies want to push surround sound (more $$$) and want that "expensive" look of having every possible input and output in the universe x4 on the back panel.

We're in a digital world now. We don't need all that darned wiring!

I think I'm going to grab the Marantz NR 1403 and a couple of tower speakers and call it a day.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1403 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page