SheetRocking Woe's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So had some guys start sheet rocking on Monday....

Delays after delays, finally first coat of mud was laid last night....

Several of the outlets/switches/sprinker head openings were cut 2-3" bigger then the plates are.

I'm hoping the 2nd coat will address these issues....what are my options for filling in these gaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Well, THAT sucks.

If you can't cover the holes with cover plates, I would get the drywall guys back in there RIGHT now to fix it. BEFORE another coat of mud goes up. They should be able to cut out a section back to the studs, cut PROPER size openings and replace. THEN the mud guy can fix it.

I hope you haven't paid them yet.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It's easy for me to be an internet bada**, but why aren't they figuring out how to take care of this? I mean, they're the sheetrock guys rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Liked: 14
A decent mudder can fix these things. Ask him when he comes back.

^^ to the guy above, a lot of time the mudder does not hang the board.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Slap some mud in there with some tape and a few coats you'll be right as rain.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #6 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Slap some mud in there with some tape and a few coats you'll be right as rain.

I would disagree with that, if I'm understanding the OP. He says the holes are too large to be covered by the plates. I'm guessing that as soon as you tighten down a plate, the mud will crush. Not to menton the "ears" on a switch or outlet will have nothing solid to grab onto.

Tom Logan

post #7 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Not paid yet, but i'm so pissed at the extra $ they asking for,
I wanna just offer a few bucks and be done with it. and fix issues myself....
post #8 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

A decent mudder can fix these things. Ask him when he comes back.

^^ to the guy above, a lot of time the mudder does not hang the board.

Well clearly the *they* I was referring to was the sheetrock guys. wink.gif
post #9 of 15 Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

They're asking for extra $$ to fix their own mistakes? I must be in the wrong business. I wouldn't pay them until they fix it. THAT'S the extra money they would get from me.

Oh, and take some pics to document it.

Tom Logan

post #10 of 15 Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Document , take pictures , and DO NOT PAY until they fix to your satisfaction ! As long as your expectations are reasonable , and not wanting to repair 3" over holes is reasonable . Its their responsibility to fix the mistakes , not charge you again to do it . Refuse payment , cite the reasons and do so by email , certified mail or have witnesses , if you call them , you don't have documentation . If they harass you , document the calls , if they come to your house for anything other than repair work , have a witness there , ask them to leave , if they refuse , call the police and have them removed from the property on a trespassing violation then do not ever let them back . If they threaten to put a lien on your property , counter with a small claims case against them for the cost of hiring another contractor to finish the work. They will most likely not take you to court because they failed to fulfill their obligation . Was this a licensed contractor ? Did they pull a permit for the work ? If no to both , then you could tell them you are going to notify your city/state . In California you have to be a licensed , insured and bonded contractor to do any work that amounts to $500 or more . Don't keep hoping they will do right by you , the way they handled the job at the beginning is the way they always work . I make way too much money coming in behind clowns like this to fix the crappy work they slap on and overcharge people. I'm in the middle of fixing a friends house , he's $7000+ into a "contractor" , and it's still not safe or working 7 months later. Now I'll be charging him @ $1000 to fix it , and that's just material and paying my plumber. He paid the guy up front and now gets to fight to try to get the money back , instead of making that clown fight to get the money.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #11 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Acras13, but they fixed the issues with some mud/tape will test durability once its set for 48hours...

To clarify, when estimating the job he asked how many sheets, and from prior bids, they quoted 80 sheets. So i told him 80 and emphasized the "ESTIMATE"

But the $$ is is b/c I bought the materials and deducted that from original estimate. He came back saying it took more mud/tape/sheetrock then originally estimated.

Now its not my fault he used others estimates to price the job right? He claims he priced the job on basis of 80 sheets.

I gave him 1/2 of labor after sheets were hung, 12 hours after that is when he started demanding more money...

I've got 2nd coat of mud coming tomorrow. and havent discussed payments further.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

So now the argument over the additional money is changing.

What was the bid for.....hang, tape and mud 80 sheeets or to hang tape and mud the entire job? How is the bid worded? I gotta be thinkin that if the bid was to hang tape and mud 80 sheets, you owe him some money. How many more sheets did it take? If it was worded to hang tape and mud the entire basement, and he estimated it at 80 sheets (or took your word for it), then he should eat it for underbiding.

In any event, he should still fix the mistakes for free.

Tom Logan

post #13 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
+1 to tlogans comment , with the caveat that "fixing" the 3" oversized holes for lights and boxes is not taping and mudding the crap out of them . Thats covering up their screw-up. 1/2" over all the way around isn't acceptable as far as I'm concerned , and I've made drywallers cut sections out and do it right . They hate me , cuss me out in at least 2 languages (so far English , Spanish , Farsi , and my favorite, a Russian - Turkish medley) . I say he screwed up using someone elses bid and should eat the cost for being dumb . My vote is when they finish what labor the original contract stated , you pay them the agreed upon amount from your original contract , and thats it. Use your judgement of course , I know it's easy for me to talk about standing firm , I've dealt with construction workers my whole life , I'm used to all the B.S. that regular folks shouldn't have to deal with. Best luck.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #14 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM

I feel your pain. Had the same thing happen to me, only my wife paid in full before I was able to give the final inspection. I then spent the next two weeks of my spare time fixing the overcut boxes, in addition to re-mudding and sanding sloppy seams - some of which were primed with no tape or mud applied! eek.gif That was definitely a lesson learned the hard way.

Thankfully that is all behind me now and I'm in the process of aligning the PJ and tuning the audio.

If the gap is small, apply mud, slap on some tape for support, allow to dry, fill in more mud, allow to dry and sand to blend the patch. It's time consuming to do yourself, so leverage payment to get the responsible individuals to fix their own mistakes if possible.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Wrote the final check last Thursday, after they fixed all the outlets.

Went to prime and found another outlet messed up, and now they've been paid and long gone...

Guess time to bust out some mud/tape...
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page