Custom built stand: Same width as TV or wider? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After searching retail stands, I couldn't find one with the dimensions, weight capacity and design I wanted for the right price. I'm having a stand custom built and I'm wondering if I should go with my first instinct: Same width as the TV, just deep enough to house components and the perfect height to put the center of the screen at eye level. I'm starting to wonder if I should get it a little bigger, though. It won't cost much more, but I also don't want my new 65" plasma to look small. If I go bigger, how much is too big? The TV on the factory stand is 59.1" x 14.2" (Panasonic TC-P65ST60).

Here's what I'm thinking about:

A) Just big enough for what I need (60w x 18d x 16h). Smallest footprint, but still rock solid.
B) Bigger. Up 18" wider than the TV (78w x 18d x 16h). Big, but would leave room for a table lamp on one side or two small lamps on both sides of the TV.
C) Same as B) but also up to 6" deeper (78w x 18-22d x 16h). Biggest. Would leave room for a table lamp and my components would sit back a bit, showing off the stand.

Final question: Owners of big TVs and big TV stands: Do you find yourself wishing your stand was a little bigger or a little smaller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTtom View Post

After searching retail stands, I couldn't find one with the dimensions, weight capacity and design I wanted for the right price. I'm having a stand custom built and I'm wondering if I should go with my first instinct: Same width as the TV, just deep enough to house components and the perfect height to put the center of the screen at eye level. I'm starting to wonder if I should get it a little bigger, though. It won't cost much more, but I also don't want my new 65" plasma to look small. If I go bigger, how much is too big? The TV on the factory stand is 59.1" x 14.2" (Panasonic).

Here's what I'm thinking about:

A) Just big enough for what I need (60w x 18d x 16h). Smallest footprint, but still rock solid.
B) Bigger. Up 18" wider than the TV (78w x 18d x 16h). Big, but would leave room for a table lamp on one side or two small lamps on both sides of the TV.
C) Same as B) but also up to 6" deeper (78w x 18-22d x 16h). Biggest. Would leave room for a table lamp and my components would sit back a bit, showing off the stand.

Final question: Owners of big TVs and big TV stands: Do you find yourself wishing your stand was a little bigger or a little smaller?

I'd look for something that is as wide as the TV and deep enough for your gear. Lamps on either side will reflect off the screen.

I'm looking for something that that has room for my center channel speaker, and looks more like furniture than my current stand.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-29-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
When I bought my first HD display 11-12 years ago, there was very little furniture available that would fit a large screen (60" DLP) with appropriate dimensions as you've mentioned. Choices now are a lot better, but I was surprised at how "cheap" it was to get a custom-built stand - at least when compared to the high-quality stuff available. I used a firm that contracts to Amish builders in the midwest (since I was looking for something in an oak/Mission style), but certainly a local craftsman will be able to do exactly what you need. (in hindsight, I drew this diagram with min/max "requirements" - I should have just given them exact measurements, and they'd figure out how to make it work...)

My stand was a few inches wider than the TV, to accommodate floor-standing speakers, and I positioned my center channel on the wall above the TV, so there's no room for it in my design. My advice would be to plan for one size TV larger than you have now, such that the display wouldn't extend over the sides if you upgrade years from now (the "foot" of the display shouldn't be the issue, but it looks weird if the TV itself is too wide). I had my stand built to be about 20" high - which was fine, but a few more inches of height wouldn't be an issue for the display, but will give you more component / speaker space to work with. You don't have to shoot for eyes at midpoint - 1/3 up from the bottom works fine.

The one thing to watch on depth is any AVR or amplifier, which can get to 18-20" deep before the cables are attached. If the back is open, those things can hang out the rear a bit, but I wouldn't build any stand shallower than 18".

When I moved to a new house I sold the stand, as the family room has custom cabinetry - I had the display area set at 30" high - but I'm at a 10' viewing distance. If you're closer than that, something lower (24" or so) would be better...

Good luck!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page