My laserdic player died, what Pioneer model should I replace it with? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-29-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a Pioneer CLD-V2400 that treated me well but I hadn't used in a while. I hoped it up last night and it died on me. I'd like to get another Pioneer but with so many models floating around on e-bay and similar sites, I'm not sure which model to pick up. Obviously I'd like whichever one has a good picture when hooked up to a HDTV and a Sony receiver but I'm not going to go nuts if it doesn't convert every audio option, I just want to watch the disc that I have sitting around. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Don't have a specific model suggestion, but I guess my advice would be to avoid the karaoke, DVD combos and models with CD changers and other mechanical / extra complexity. But I think in general getting any of the later-model Pioneers would be fine.

If you don't already have an RF demodulator for AC3 support, don't worry about getting a model with it. For the street cost of one of those modulators you could replace whatever few AC3-capable discs you have with BDs... At least, supplement them for "real" viewing.

The one mechanical complexity probably worth having would be dual-side play.

But all of this is dependent on the reason for replacing it - how many discs do you have and is the content available on DVD / BD?

I still have my player (haven't hooked it up in years, hope it works!) for the nostalgia and the fact that it's not worth much anyway. biggrin.gif The few remaining LDs I have that I didn't swap for DVDs a decade ago are the Star Wars Definitive set and a few Looney Tunes discs (which I haven't checked lately but are mostly covered with the BD/DVD Golden Collections).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am cheap, so I keep my laserdisk active because of the 600+ discs that are slowly being replaced.

I agree with Jeff. Look for the 10/30 series 3070/3080/3090 for good value. The Elite players are the best, but tend to be expensive and hard to come by (CLD-97/99)

I have had a Panasonic unit LX-900 (980??) for years, since new. I find this unit to be cleaner, quieter and faster than my backup Pioneer units. Recommended if you can find one.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

I am cheap, so I keep my laserdisk active because of the 600+ discs that are slowly being replaced.

I sold almost all of my discs (~100) early in the DVD transition. I had a number of the sought-after Special Editions / Box Sets / Criterion pieces, and sold them before they came out on DVD - which I knew they would eventually... I ended up with DVD versions of every one of the discs, and several hundred bucks extra!

Same can't be said for the DVD-to-BD upgrade, though. mad.gif Although I did learn to wait the 4-6 months after release for most titles to pick up the "upgrades" for $5-10 (especially the Best Buy Upgrade and Save deal...)

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page