Planning a home theater in an old, small rental house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everybody! I've been reading AVS for a while, and gotten a lot of inspiration to finally work on a dedicated front projection setup at my new rental house.

My budget is ~$2000 over the next 6 months. Unfortunately, I have a lot of roadblocks I'm trying to plan around.

Structurally, the room is:
  • 15' L by 11' W
  • Hardwood floors
  • Ugly Paneled walls
  • Plywood crown moulding
  • Plywood baseboard
  • Closet on one end with 72"-80" high (absolute max height) shelf space, roughly 15' from the wall I wish to project on.
  • Ceiling fan which protrudes down to just about exactly 80"
  • Three windows on right side wall
  • One window on wall opposite closet. Even with the window, I think this is my best option for the projection screen. Window sill protrudes 2" further than rest of the wall.
  • White drop-ceiling..esque.. ceiling. The panels can't actually be moved at all but it looks just like a drop ceiling. Not sure what it is.

Here's a super quick diagram of it:

The shelf is located in the "wide closet" and runs the entire length of the closet.

An extra issue is that the room only has one weird four-outlet power outlet - and it's ungrounded, plus it's located to the right of the door (above it in the diagram). This house was built in the 30s and hasn't been upgraded particularly thoroughly.

I've been thinking a 110" screen, viewed from roughly 13', wouldn't be too big, and could be done fairly easily with an 8350 at the throw range from my closet to the long wall.

Major, permanent changes to the room are out of the question. I can probably get away with a few screws into the studs through the wood paneling to hang the screen, but a huge amount of them wouldn't fly, and I've even considered a DIY screen floor stand.

So, my thoughts so far:

Light control/reflection control:
Blackout cloth completely covering all four windows, blinds, sill, and all, attached taut with staples along the edges.
Using a staple gun to put up thick, dark fabric along all of the walls / blacked out windows, in a style similar to the billowing way theater curtains are hung up. Assuming I can get a good deal on that much fabric.

Dark rugs for the floor.

Not sure what I'll do about the ceiling yet. Maybe a thinner dark fabric?

Has anyone had experience using a staple gun excessively on white painted plywood? Is it super noticeable when the staples are removed?

Projector:
I'm pretty set on the Epson 8350. It's right in my price range, and throws the right size from the right distance. I'll consider alternatives though.

Audio:
Holding off a bit on this, but will do 5.1 and get the best bang for my buck around 1k combined on speakers/receiver when the time comes.

Screen:
Planning on doing DIY, most likely with blackout cloth. To keep costs down, and to keep my options open for mounting.

Sorry my questions are a bit open ended. I'm looking for suggestions about all aspects of the room before I start making decisions.

I'll get pictures when I can - the room's being used for storage right now and they wouldn't show much of anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1303660/mini-man-cave-phase-2-could-use-help-planning could provide you with many ideas.

Can the doors be removed from that wide closet, and stored? You could then frame in a DIY acoustically transparent screen up front. .

The deep closet door could also be stored away and you could find yourself a rolling computer rack for gear. Stormtrooper1015
hard board face plates would be another budget stretcher. Post 62:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1136907/project-internet-theater-build-color-and-decorative-panel-input-appreciated/60

Curtain the walls and hang pipe for loop top dark curtains on the side and back walls. You could build a simple inexpensive permanent soffit around the room,
and use it to route wiring, add some LED rope lighting, and add soffit spotlights too. You could also fish some armoured electrical cable in the wall to the soffit
and use the soffit to the closet for power and use the soffit to bridge. Armoured cable could also be fished in wall, and run up inside the wall and use the soffit to
get to the av closet.

soffit build.jpg 76k .jpg file

Zeegle.jpg 66k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soffit build.jpg (75.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Zeegle.jpg (66.2 KB, 8 views)
post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
This should give you an idea of how the curtains and soffit idea could look. I'd go darker with the curtains....

Fadum3.jpg 120k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fadum3.jpg (119.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page