Screen placement ? Any help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I've been creeping the forums for a few years in and out just bought a new house last October, not the best space for a media room but I'm going to make it work just trying to think of the best way to lay out my room
It is 15' to the wall the tv is on now and 13' to the start of the wall cutout not sure if I should
A) build the wall out to match 13'
B) say screw it and ceiling mount the screen
C) ask you experts for help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Can you draw a floor plan so we have an idea of the total space?

Are you looking to wall mount your screen if you don't ceiling mount it? What is your plan for the space, usage wise?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

The room will be a rec room I guess you would call it it was a wood stove and I'm in canada so lots of time will be spent there in the winter I am going to keep the tv , wall mount would be nice but don't want to build out the wall and want to keep the tv for every day watching , the projector will be for a few NFL games movies stuff like that
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are dedicated to your current arrangement, looks like ceiling mount is the best way to go. Couple issues though. I think one issues with your current set will be speaker placement. If you ceiling mount your screen where will speakers go? Second will be distance. It looks like you are going to be a little close, both you to the screen and the projector to the screen. Take a look at Projector Central to make sure your projector will be workable with your setup.

Could you flip the room 90 degrees and put your couch under the window? I can't see what's on the opposite wall, but it looks like it would give you some extra room to play with.

-

post #7 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

It would give more but....... As you can wood stove and a door to the utility room are on that wall so it's a no go as for speakers not sure I'm not a HT guy just starting out so best placement would love some input I can go in wall/ ceiling stands what ever would sound the best with the room I have , I'm going to talk with the local hometheater store this week to find a projector and test a few, looking In The 2500-3000$ range for screen and projector
post #8 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, well I think you have a good plan unless you wanted to talk about walling off the window wink.gif.

So, if you were to wall off your nook where the TV is sitting now, you would be able to create a closet to put all your components and have a really clean install. You would use IR repeaters to control your components. You could then mount your TV on that new wall which would be an advantage as it would be a little closer to your viewing position. Depending on the orientation of the joists in your ceiling, you may be able to recess the screen in the ceiling. Or you could just mount it to the ceiling. Then I would go with ceiling speakers to maximize the versatility of the space. You are not going to get the best "cinema" experience with ceiling mounted speakers, but with a good angled driver like this one I think you would get a pretty good result. Surround placement will be a little tough, but I'm sure you can figure something out.

Alternatively, do the same thing but without reframing the TV nook. Less work and more or less the same result. I think the disadvantage for this first is the components, I like mine tucked away and out of site. Second is having the TV and Screen on different planes. That would nag at my OCPD.

Either way, I think you will get a pretty good result and 3k is healthy budget for a projector and screen. You can find some electric screens on eBay pretty cheap. I had one and it was decent for the money.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

-

post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good , I can tuck the screen in the ceiling space as the joists run parallel to the tv with 20" to the second floor lots of room , I feel ya having the tv and screen not on the same center but with it hidden till show time might not be that bad, I will keep you all updated on the process as it goes
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page