Color for the HT room: will a not-so-dark red do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there. I'm moving to a new apartment and I decided to use one room just for the TV and projector. Light control will be quite good. I also bought a new 106" high-contrast screen (a gray Draper Luma). Projector is my good old Epson 8350 (about 800 real lumens). Ceiling will be white, and the floor is brownish wood. My predicament comes with the color for the walls. This room is not a basement: it's an essencial part of the house, almost part of the living room, so I'm not going to paint it in black or dark gray or anything of the sort. It has to be some light color. The rest of the house is going to be painted in a creamy-yellowish tone; but in this room I could change to, say, a cheerful red (matte, of course). This would be always darker than the former, and in theory better for a cinema room, but then I've found several posts around stating that red walls could alter the white balance and bounce back a pinkish hue on the screen. Of course we don't want that. Does anyone here have any experience with no-so-dark reds? Some data you may need: the screen will be hung some 5 inches from the back wall, and the distance between the screen and lateral walls will be 14 inches on each side. I'm painting right now, so I need to take a quick choice: any advice will be extremely welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedocable View Post

Hello there. I'm moving to a new apartment and I decided to use one room just for the TV and projector. Light control will be quite good. I also bought a new 106" high-contrast screen (a gray Draper Luma). Projector is my good old Epson 8350 (about 800 real lumens). Ceiling will be white, and the floor is brownish wood. My predicament comes with the color for the walls. This room is not a basement: it's an essencial part of the house, almost part of the living room, so I'm not going to paint it in black or dark gray or anything of the sort. It has to be some light color. The rest of the house is going to be painted in a creamy-yellowish tone; but in this room I could change to, say, a cheerful red (matte, of course). This would be always darker than the former, and in theory better for a cinema room, but then I've found several posts around stating that red walls could alter the white balance and bounce back a pinkish hue on the screen. Of course we don't want that. Does anyone here has any experience with no-so-dark reds? Some data you may need: the screen will be hung some 5 inches from the back wall, and the distance between the screen and lateral walls will be 14 inches on each side. I'm painting right now, so I need to take a quick choice: any advice will be extremely welcome.

It is a compromise. Red is good looking but it will effect your image especially if it only 14" from the screen. White ceiling is going to do the same with washout but at least that will not add the red cast to everything.
Red and gray work well together.. how about neutral gray stripes from the corner out 5' on the side walls and up over the ceiling.. Maybe 5 grays dark to light with a 1/2 red stripe between? A feature that will help your image!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

I see. So the pinkish hue due to red walls was not a myth after all... How much darker should the red be not to affect the white balance, in a room like mine? (always remember I will use a high contrast gray screen).
post #4 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Your colors are pretty much what I ended up going with my room.

It was originally also painted a yellow/creamish color. I then explained to my wife how it would look better if we had the wall/ceiling area darker where the screen would be hanging, and we both agreed that a red or blue would work, but she did not want black.

We ended up going with a red color, somewhat dark, but we both loved the way it turned out. Here's a couple pics. You can also see I put a white wooden piece of wood on the wall to kind of be a "break" between the split of the 2 colors. The red wall where the screen hangs goes all the way to the corner of that face, where the next face is the yellow color.

My wife actually loves the way it turned out too, and always shows it off to people who see our house for the first time lol.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics, great set you have there, it looks terrific -don't know how you resisted the temptation of a much bigger screen, though.
So, how did that change of colors affect your cinema experience? Did it make a huge difference? Also, even if your red is really dark -much darker than the one I had in mind- did you ever notice that dreaded "pink hue"?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

As for the red I had in mind:

They are a bit darker on the paper than on the scan, but maybe they can give you an idea. What do you think? Too light?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedocable View Post

Thanks for the pics, great set you have there, it looks terrific -don't know how you resisted the temptation of a much bigger screen, though.
So, how did that change of colors affect your cinema experience? Did it make a huge difference? Also, even if your red is really dark -much darker than the one I had in mind- did you ever notice that dreaded "pink hue"?

Well actually I couldn't fit a bigger screen there . It's a 120" screen which just fits. The top of the frame is about 2 inches from the ceiling, and the bottom of the frame is about 1 inch from the top of my center channel, so not much room left lol!

As far as the darkness affect the experience, it was DRASTIC. There is MUCH better contrast since it's really dark over there now, and just overall a lot more immersion feeling.

I also have never experienced the pink hue thing, and I actually had never even heard about it prior to me picking that color.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

I also have never experienced the pink hue thing, and I actually had never even heard about it prior to me picking that color.

Any light that is reflected on the screen is going to effect the image as you know. If your room color is not dark enough to NOT reflect the light form the screen and is any color other than neutral it is going to extenuate colors on the screen that match it and add it's color to everything else. This is why when you calibrate a projector you want to do it in the environment where it is to be used. Some environmental issues can be corrected with calibration. One very common thing being the neutrality of the screen itself. Calibrating a projector on for example a Studio Tech 100 then replacing the screen with a Black Diamond would result in a blue image as the BD pushes Blue. If you did it the other way you end up with an image lacking blue. So everything in the room effect the image hence the reason most dedicated rooms are Black.. but compromises have to be made, Dark red beats white/light any day.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Purbeast: is that a 120" screen? It certainly looks smaller in the pics -due, I guess, to the size of those so tempting coachs. Just out of curiosity: what's the viewing distance from the first row? I bought a screen of similar size (106") and I'm a bit worried about the room not being long enough. The viewing distance will be about 13 feet.
Airscapes: Clear enough. If I got it right, I should be safer using the cream-yellowish also in this room, instead of any of those reds. Thus I will have a bit of washout, but no risk of coloration (unless, of course, I moved to a much darker red, as Purebeast's). Am I right?
As an aside: What kind of improvement should I expect from my gray high-contrast screen?
post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah it's a 120" screen, the JTR speakers are just massive lol so they make it look small compared to it.

My seats are about 13 - 14 feet back, and I wish I had room for a bigger screen smile.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That means my viewing distance is fine. Actually, it is by the book: viewing distance is supposed to be around 1.5 the diagonal length of the screen.
As for the red, I'm still doubtful about using one of those I've shown you. After all, they don't seem far away from this one:

http://www.ideasforroom.com/home-teather/red-movie-theater-design-with-the-small-light-on-the-ceiling-seems-like-stars-in-the-night-1/

Airscapes? What do you think?
post #12 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It's just paint! If red is what you want, go for it! It will be better than a light color. Yes it may effect the image but it will be better than the washout of something light

Doug

post #13 of 13 Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Airscapes: Indeed, this is always a compromise. After putting maybe too much thought into it, and following your first tip, I think I will go with a medium gray for the walls, cut by red on a door and the skirting boards. Thus, a general neutral color and some cheerful details. I think that's just the happy medium. Case closed.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page