Colour choice(s) throwing me over the edge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I know this has been asked a million times but..............

I have a room in the basement that is 20ft long, 11ft wide, 7ft high. Getting rid of an old RPTV and putting in a projector and screen. The room is not just for movies. In fact, I'd say the TV/Movie ratio is like 80% TV/20% movie. Ceiling is white and walls are fake light wood panelling. I need to change the room colours to somthing darker for a better projector experience and this is where I'm stressing. I originally thought paint the whole room black. Then I thought maybe that would be a bit depressing, plus at the opposite end of the room is a table for a computer and that is where I often work from. Then I thought about the whole room being Espresso Bean colour. Now I'm at black for the screen wall and complete ceiling black. I'm also good with 7ft of side walls from the screen wall being black. It's the rest of the room where I'm lost on what colour to paint. Any suggestions on what colour would look nice for the remainng 13ft of side wall and the back wall? I wish I could picture what things would look like but I can't frown.gif

The good news is I have very little ambient light from 2 windows and complete light control in the form of recessed lighting on dimmers

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't get over stressed about having " pitch black attack" in your room, just because you're putting in a projector. There are a lot of good examples on here that use some lighter colors and are very functional. Bigmouthindc's is blue and medium grey, mine is medium brown walls with espresso ceiling and light carpet with (god forbid) white trim. It works great with my projector and normal gain screen for movies.

If it's primarily TV, a lot of people tend towards a bit more ambient light in the room anyhow. My two cents is don't stress about making it a cave, and consider a higher gain screen to help keep it bright with more ambient light during a good football game with your buds.

Best,
C.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page