New house with new setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, TIA for the help. I just moved into a new house and the placement of the living room TV is not ideal. The only place I could have put it was over the fireplace without making huge renovations. The problem with that is where to hide my fios box, fios router and the HTPC which I haven't connected in the new house yet to keep it safe from the kids lol. The house has cable running throughout but not Ethernet cable. The only cable connection on the first floor is above the fireplace behind where the tv is now. I wanted to centrally locate the router so I can also get a good connection throughout the house and basement. I do have a new pantry near the tv which I was thinking of using the top shelf to house everything. Ill try to add pictures so you can get an idea. My plan was to run the wires down from the TV, into the baseboard heater up to the top of the pantry. All trying to minimize the amount of visible wires, of course. Any ideas on any of these steps or new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had an idea to to minimize the wires with an HDMI switch at the bottom of the pantry and to use an IR extender to be able to connect to the Fios box and HTPC within the pantry. I already have both IR extenders and would just need an HDMI switch. Not sure if I should even bother with an HDMI switch and just get longer HDMI cables to run them directly to the Fios box and HTPC. I would need a minimum of 20ft of HDMI cable to reach the top of the pantry. Probably would get 25 ft just to be sure and to have some slack. There is a power outlet behind the TV and one just next to the pantry which I would have to get an extension cable into the top of the pantry. Any ideas on how to hide everything or a better way of doing it all is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Liked: 13
First , don't run cables through your heater! Best case is you prematurely nuke your cable , worst case house fire. I would say hdmi splitter to reduce the number of cable runs you have to make , take a look at Redmere cables from monoprice.com they are thin and lots of good reviews on them. As for hiding your cables , it looks like you have crown molding in the room , how do you feel about taking some down , feeding your cables through behind it , then replacing what you took down ? I used crown as a raceway for my speaker wires , but I lowered mine 4" from the ceiling so I could put a rope light in it too , works great to hide the wires. Good luck with your project.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #3 of 5 Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 AM

The Television over the fireplace is already a problematic setup. Such an arrangement is never advised. So if You could change please do so even if You have to spend some money. If You do it, rest adjustments would also be simplified.

contemporary rugs
post #4 of 5 Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

There is no wall with enough room to fit a TV. I would have to close the window next to the fireplace to even have room which is why the TV went above the fireplace. I was thinking of running the wires thru the crown molding but getting it there would have been the problem. How do I hide the wires from the TV to the crown molding? Make a whole thru the veneer and into the crown molding?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Liked: 13
Easiest would be to get a white HDMI cable if you can find one long enough , follor a grout line then tuck in on the side of the stone . It would pretty much disappear. You could open up the veneer where the power comes in and put a recessed box designed for flat panel wall mounts , then fish the HDMI up to the crown. You'll have to take at least one piece of crown down to run the wire , just look for the cut lines and carefully take a piece down , it's not too hard.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page