Please help - I don't know what to buy! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a "quick" rundown on my problem.

I live in south Florida and our power can be problematic. A few times a week the power will go out(?) and come back very quickly. So fast the clock isn't screwed up on the oven, but it knocks it out on my HT system. I have an old APC UPS XS 1500 which seemingly dies when this happens, which kills stuff hooked up to it. I need to re-power the unit to "fix" the problem. I'm going to replace it because I believe the battery is shot. What I don't know is

1. What is going on with my power?
2. Is this hurting my gear?
3. What component will alleviate the problem?
4. What features are important in a replacement?

I have looked at everything from inexpensive Tripp-Lite units to the APC H15 and the Furman F-1000 UPS.

I'm assuming a UPS is important for DVR recording and the potential use in a theater with projector down the line. I would prefer a unit which can go in a rack in the future.

My gear consists of an Elite X5FD, Parasound Halo A52, Denon 3808Ci, Sony PS3, Seaton SubMersive HP, Toshiba HD-DVD player, XBOX 360 and an Anti-mode 8033.

Please help. Thanks!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 13
Just going off of memory so don't quote me , but I believe an "uninterrupted power supply " is what you want. There are battery backup systems that will seamlessly switch to battery power , and some that lag up to several seconds. For AV gear , you would want one that is seamless , because that delay is what is turning your gear off. Sorry I don't have more info as I'm not running one myself but hopefully that will point you in the right direction to search , or get someone in here that knows more to say I'm dead wrong.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

I live in south Florida and our power can be problematic. A few times a week the power will go out(?) and come back very quickly. So fast the clock isn't screwed up on the oven, but it knocks it out on my HT system. I have an old APC UPS XS 1500 which seemingly dies when this happens, which kills stuff hooked up to it. I need to re-power the unit to "fix" the problem. I'm going to replace it because I believe the battery is shot.

Yep - "old" UPS means the battery is probably shot. Most UPS's have replaceable batteries, check into that as well. Seems to be a $65 item for that UPS, which is a decent model to start with...
Quote:

I have looked at everything from inexpensive Tripp-Lite units to the APC H15 and the Furman F-1000 UPS.

I'm assuming a UPS is important for DVR recording and the potential use in a theater with projector down the line. I would prefer a unit which can go in a rack in the future.

If you have frequent power glitches, a UPS is important to keep your sanity... You want one large enough to take the load for your DVRs, computers and probably projector for a few minutes without overload, so you can make it through the short glitches. For more than a few minutes though, you should probably turn off the projector anyway (since keeping everything else running is going to take a lot of backup power), and let the UPS keep the DVRs going.

I have a UPS for my PC and another for the DVRs in the central closet - I don't bother with backup power for the projector setup, because glitches here are very rare, and any storm likely to take out the power means I'm usually not using the gear anyway (unplugged for electrical storms!).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Assuming I need a UPS, can someone tell me why I should spend the extra money on a Furman (or something comparable) vs saving a bunch and getting a. A replacement battery or b. A new Cheaper APC?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Just replace the battery. They only last 3-4 years even if they are never used..

http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-1500-Replacement-Battery/dp/B0073XD78Y

I think you have the battery stores down south as well, forget the name Battery Plus manybe, but if you have them, you know what I am talking about. If you don't want to change it yourself, take it to the one of those store and they will do it while you wait.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_locator/state/FL.aspx
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:

You will have to ask the power company, but what you are experiencing is not all that uncommon
Quote:
Power loss generally doesn't hurt your gear. Damaging surges sometimes accompany them, so surge protection is a good idea. The UPS should already have surge protection built into it to protect itself.
Quote:
A UPS.
Quote:
The main thing I would look for is sufficient run time with the expected load. Your current UPS should be adequate for the short outages you describe assuming there is nothing wrong with it and the batteries will hold a charge. If the batteries are more than 3 years old, I would replace them. If you are not familiar with finding suitable replacement batteries, buying your replacement from APC might be the best way to go. It will cost more. But if you go aftermarket you may wind up with Chinese crap that won't perform as well. There is nothing special about the batteries APC uses. You just need a reliable equivalent.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. Is there any advantage to a Panamax or Furman unit?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Thanks for the help guys. Is there any advantage to a Panamax or Furman unit?

Mostly form factor - the Panamax units fit well in a rack and look really nice... From a UPS feature standpoint, assuming that you're not trying to run for more than a few minutes to ride out a glitch, any of the units from either Panamax / Furman or APC would be fine.

And as Colm said, check the pricing on the batteries - but I've found that when shipping is calculated, APC's direct web sales came out very close to what I could get from random eBay / local BatteriesPlus, etc. Which was surprising...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Good to hear. I will probably be calling Batteries Plus tomorrow. Thanks again.

John
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv , Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page