Running all my wires/cables before drywall, need advice! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I'm planning out my AV setup now and obviously need to run all my wires and cables before the sheetrock goes up! I'm going with a 60" TV mounted on the wall and then will have a 100" electronic projector screen that will lower from the ceiling for movies etc.

So... I need to run an electric hookup and a HDMI to the projector that will be mounted on the ceiling and run speaker wire to the rear speakers. I'm thinking I should run conduit in the ceiling in case the HDMI fails and needs to be replaced. Should I run the speaker wire through the wall to try and avoid electric wires? Will crossing an electric wire with an HDMI cause problems? What else do I need to consider, kind of a newbie to the home AV scene here!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I went through this several weeks ago and was able to find several threads. Some key points to consider....

1) Go with CL2 rated cables so you are compliant with firecodes (assuming you are in the US or Canada)

2) IMHO brand name expensive cables are not worth the investment... I'm a big fan of monoprice

3) Try to minimize the number of bends in the conduit. If you do have to make a 90 degree turn its better to use two 45 degree turns with a bit of straight pipe in between. A chunky 20' long HDMI cable will be difficult to pull through a tight 90 degree bend. Definately go with conduit... a small investment today will save a tremendous headache in a few years when you are upgrading to a 4K (or 8K smile.gif) projector in a few years.

4) Protect the ends of your HDMI cables before fishing... use electric tape. Fishing lubricant can be very helpful.

5) I seem to recall that you should never run speaker wire AND/OR RCA cables (subwoofer) parellel AND within 1.5' of electrical cable. Any time your speaker or RCA cable has to be run past electrical cable it is best do do so with the cables perpendicular to each other.

6) Not sure who is doing your drywall but let your contractor know to be very carefull with your cables. I had a great contractor for my basement and HT room but he still managed to destroy one of the speaker wires when he was trimming the drywall around the low voltage box that housed the wire.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
One tip I read on here about conduit is to run all your cables outside the conduit, then use the conduit if you need to pull in any cables in the future.

Bacon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page