Hello to all members,
This is my first post! Even though, I have been browsing the forum for about a year to learn as much as I can. I am in process of upgrading my basement and I am planning to purchase projector, screen and audio receiver within few months.
At the current time, I need some advices as this entire setup is driving me crazy! I am sure i am not the only one around here and i always learn from all members for other posts.
Here is my room (see attachment)
• I finished painting the back wall flat black and side wall flat dark grays. I do have a drop ceiling with workable height of 7’2”. The ceiling will have “Cinetile” and I am installing soon some R19 (one face covered insulation) between joists before installing the ceiling tiles. The rest of the wall have traditional insulation with sheet rocks. Room Acoustic treatments will be likely be done once the electronic is installed. For the floor, I am planning to go with some carpet tiles and rug I have depending on the budget.
• I have only 3 home theater seats right now and I am planning to expand a little later with a second row riser and additional chairs once the screen and the project are setup correctly with all speakers.
• I need to have all my electronic gear under the screen and as the drawing is showing, there won’t be much space (22" ) but I am planning to build a simple cabinet to fit everything with the center channel at the right height.
• Ideally, with the height of this ceiling (7’2”), I was planning to place the projector at 64” from ground with a throw around 16-17 ft so it can be placed behind the seats. With a 120” Diagonal screen the bottom of the screen (frame not viewing area) will be at 22” from the ground. The top of the screen will be almost flushed to ceiling. Not perfect but I think I would be happier with a 120” screen vs. 110”.
• Projector: Planning to get a Sony project (either HW50es or newly announced HW55es). I’ll wait until the new one get presented and see how it fits the overall price / performance ratio.
• Screen: I would like to get a High Power 2.4 120” (Cinema Contour most likely) from Da-Lite. Lately there have been mixed reviews with these screens but I do think it will be better than a Carada BW which I was previously considering.
• Audio receiver: planning on Denon AVR 4520 to power everything.
Other electronic: computer to link to new Denon & Dish Network receiver & perhaps a blue ray player
* Current speakers:
• 4 towers paradigm reference 60 V2
• 2 servo 15 paradigm
• 2 center channel paradigm
• 4 dipole surround paradigm
• Would high power screen work ok with this setup ? With some calculators, it seems to work just fine.
• For projector placement, here are a couple of options I was thinking:
Option a) with projector mounted on ceiling at
o First row seat will be around 10’5” from screen
o Second row will be like at 15’
o Projector located slightly over 17’
All of this will be revisited as the second row will be installed as a second step so i can tweak everything.
With the FLBOY calculator, I am still having a gain of 1.84.
Option b) with projector on shelf (customer made on riser) and only a couple chairs on left and right of the projector. This option would allow to position projector to be closer to eye level.
• Does anyone have recommendation for the placement of all speakers for this room configuration? I am looking for a 9.2 setup.
THEATER(1).pdf 5k .pdf file
Again, thanks in advance to all members for the kind reviews.