Home theater issue - Flashing static - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased and mounted a new Samsung UN60F7100. I already have power behind the TV and HDMI run through the wall. My receiver is a Denon AVR-591 and I mainly use my PS3 for Netflix and blu-rays.

My issue is, when I hooked up the new TV I now get flashing static every few seconds. This did not happen before, and I can't seem to pinpoint the issue. I've tried hooking up another hdmi cable between the receiver and TV and the issue disappears. The current cable seems not to be the problem though, as it still works on my other TV.

Any suggestions? Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by peters3 View Post

My issue is, when I hooked up the new TV I now get flashing static every few seconds. This did not happen before, and I can't seem to pinpoint the issue.

Sounds like a poor / marginal HDMI connection. How long is that cable?
Quote:
I've tried hooking up another hdmi cable between the receiver and TV and the issue disappears.

There you go.
Quote:
The current cable seems not to be the problem though, as it still works on my other TV.

Different sources and TVs have different HDMI chipsets and circuitry, some of which can be more sensitive to long runs or marginal signals.

If the cable can't be swapped out easily, an HDMI "booster" may be the next thing to try. If you hook up the PS3 or other devices directly, bypassing the Denon but using the same cable, do you get the same issue? Many AVRs seem to have "weak" HDMI outputs...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

It is a 20 ft cable, and I went with a 24awg from monoprice. Hooking up the PS3 through the cable does away with the issue.

I may have to try a booster... Do you have a recommendation? Also, which side would the booster go on (TV or receiver)?

Peter
post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by peters3 View Post

It is a 20 ft cable, and I went with a 24awg from monoprice. Hooking up the PS3 through the cable does away with the issue.

Yep, 20' is certainly in the range where problems like this start rearing their ugly heads...
Quote:
I may have to try a booster... Do you have a recommendation? Also, which side would the booster go on (TV or receiver)?

Signal repeaters (the proper term, really) always go on the "source" end (the AVR). Monoprice has some, certainly worth a check for the cheap solution...

Don't buy any repeater/splitter/etc. that uses the HDMI signal itself for power. Always use one with its own power supply:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=7700&seq=1&format=2

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff!

I ordered it from Monoprice and will report back once I've tried it.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Check your connection behind the set. You can not have any tension on that cable where it goes into to tv. No sharp bends where the connector will be pushed or pulled by the cable or you get this problem. This is sometimes hard to avoid with low profile mounts. If you have not tried removing and reseating the cable at the TV , receiver and receiver and source do so before you buy anything more. I have this same problem on my LG with a 35' monoprice flat HDMI cable but when it goes out, I just reseat it and it is fine for months.
Good luck

Doug

post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

The HDMI repeater arrived just before the weekend, and it works! I'm still waiting on the power adapter, but it is working without it for now. Thanks again for the help!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page