volume control impedence question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Marantz SR5008 with dual zone. I want to put a set of patio speakers on Zone 2 with a volume control to control the patio(one pair 8ohm speakers). I'm looking at the resistor style(non transformer/ no impedance matching) for better fidelity to my speakers. My concerns are that I will have that wall volume control turned down or off most of the time due to not disturbing the neighbors will having the receiver inside turned up for my indoor speakers. Will this long term hurt my amp or over heat my volume control? Should I think about transform style? What are the implications, if any, in having this setup?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
With only one pair of speakers attached to the amp (assuming 8 ohm speakers), no impedance-matching is needed.

You would normally have Zone 2 turned off at the AVR when it's not in use, so no power is being driven from the amp to the outdoor speakers anyway. In general, with two volume controls in the system (one in the AVR for zone 2, the other the wall-mount control), it's best to set the normal listening level (max) at the AVR, and have the wall control at maximum - then use it to adjust down.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

What if The volume control is not on Zone2. What if it is on my surround speakers and the volume control is turned off--Will there be any damage to amp or volume control due to high power being present at control for extended amount of time. I would think that power would have to go somewhere?
post #4 of 5 Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsmokey View Post

What if The volume control is not on Zone2. What if it is on my surround speakers and the volume control is turned off--Will there be any damage to amp or volume control due to high power being present at control for extended amount of time. I would think that power would have to go somewhere?

Yes, the power is converted to heat by the volume control. Why would you put patio speakers on your surround channels? That will be a terrible solution for a number of reasons. Or are you switching between a 7.1 and a powered zone 2 setup? I wouldn't recommend that.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I thinking about putting volume controls on all my "sets" of speakers. A set in my gameroom, a set in the kitchen, a set in the living room, and a set on the patio. I'm not really going to use this for 7.1, mainly music audio. I plan to set all the 7.1 channels to 2 stereo mode so when I listening to music I can turn up or down each room accordingly. I just worried about leaving say the kitch turned down while having gameroom and living room turned up--what would be my worst case for the rooms turned down?
Thanks in advance
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Marantz Sr5008
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page