Schlemtheater II - Attack of the ArchBar - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 62 Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Nice stonework on the bar!!!!  I refaced my family room fireplace with an almost identical product.  It was a painstaking process to get the small pieces all configured.  After that, I decided against using the small stacked stone for any purpose ever again.  :o

I using face brick in my sports themed basement, which is similar, but goes up more like tile w/ even grout spacers.

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 Old 05-11-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
UPDATE:

New pictures posted!

All stone work is complete.

All crown moulding is complete.

Working on giving the bar a paneled wood look on the back and the top part of the columns. I might also do that across the arch - we'll see how it looks once the columns are done.

Hope to be carpeting in June and installing projector and screen shortly after!!!
post #33 of 62 Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Phase One is complete and carpet is being installed in two days! Final reveal pics to follow!

Phase Two will consist of decorating the walls, getting 3 more bar stools, adding custom media cabinetry around the screen, custom pantry cabinets and shelves, and motorized reclining home theater seating.
post #34 of 62 Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking Good

You're Basement is really coming together! Cannot wait to see finals.

WOOLFMAN

WOOLFMAN THEATER Construction thread

One small job for mankind, one hell of a build for 1 guy
post #35 of 62 Old 08-09-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of new photos added today! Bar is done, carpet is in, new receiver is hooked up for testing, acoustic panels are being located, decorations are being acquired, bar stools are in, and we're in the home stretch for custom cabinets around the screen, custom pantry, projector, screen, and seating!
post #36 of 62 Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Acoustic panels installed on side walls

Update today - We did the exercise to locate all the first and second reflection points of the L and R speakers. Then we added first reflections of the center channel. We did this for 8 seating locations, so we ended up with 48 pieces of tape on the walls scattered throughout the side walls for the most part.

I had initially bought four 2' x 4' x 1" panels from Acoustimac.com and was going to put two on the front wall behind the front speakers, and two at the first reflection points. Then, I decided that since I was planning on having 8 seating locations in two curved rows, that one panel on each side probably wasn't going to be enough so I ordered two more panels.

Now that I have seen the spread including the center channel, I put up three panels on each side wall covering pretty much all of the first and center reflections. Some of the seconds aren't going to be treated, but I think I can live with that. Now I am going to wait hopefully for a Labor Day sale to order two more panels to go on the front wall since I robbed those two for the side walls. I'll post pictures soon!
post #37 of 62 Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Man, I thought my stone veneer was a pain! You had 400 more lbs and a lot more corners and cuts. Nice job.
I agree with you on the drywall. Never again.
Can the screen be a little bigger than your mock-up?
Looking forward to more pics.
post #38 of 62 Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can you tell me about what you used for your crown moulding lighting? i.e. what product / where you got it / how you installed it / etc? I understand the dropped crown moulding aspect -- just trying to figure out what sort of lighting to go with.

Overall your basement looks great!

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #39 of 62 Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Can you tell me about what you used for your crown moulding lighting? i.e. what product / where you got it / how you installed it / etc? I understand the dropped crown moulding aspect -- just trying to figure out what sort of lighting to go with.

Overall your basement looks great!
Thanks! Here is an excerpt from my build that explains it a little. I think I got the ziptie holders from partsexpress.com:

Here is the construction of the theater area cove LED lights. I used 120v 3/8" soft white rope lighting from www.orangetreetrade.com. I painted both sides of the crown moulding to reflect more light. Then, I cut triangular spacer blocks at 38-degree angles for the 4 5/8" crown moulding to be attached to. The rope lighting was also attached to these. Sizing was very critical because it affected how the crown rested on it. Would have been easier to rip a 2x4, but with no table saw, I had to go this route:

I did not want to mess with 12vdc LEDs because then a converter needs to be mounted somewhere. The only thing I don't like about the rope is that the LEDs all point forward so I don't feel like they radiate light outward as much as they probably could, but it's still bright enough for accent lighting. Definitely would not use the LED rope as a primary light source. Hope that helps!

-Schlemstar
post #40 of 62 Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekeith View Post
Man, I thought my stone veneer was a pain! You had 400 more lbs and a lot more corners and cuts. Nice job.
I agree with you on the drywall. Never again.
Can the screen be a little bigger than your mock-up?
Looking forward to more pics.
The 110" screen size (16:9) is as big as I can go because I'm putting 30" cabinets below the screen to house the components and center channel speaker. Also, my first row viewing distance is going to be about 9-10 feet so I feel like a bigger screen may be too overwhelming for the front row. I don't want everyone to fight over the back row all the time. So, like everything there are always compromises to be made. (I agree that wall looks like it can handle a much bigger screen - I wish!)

-Schlemstar
post #41 of 62 Old 10-07-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Can't seem to update previous sections with new photos, so they're going to have to go here at the end now I guess. So, last week I finally pulled the trigger on a screen. I decided on the Seymour AV 110" 16:9 Precision frame, Glacier White 1.3 gain screen. I don't have it yet, but I got a free sample of their screen material and it seemed to be higher quality than another company that I was also considering. My screen wall design is in flux right now. I've decided to eliminate tall cabinets on the sides of the screen, and instead just go with cabinets below the screen. Now I have a lot of open space on the screen wall and I'm trying to figure out how to dress it up. Might go with velvet curtains on the sides of the screen, and maybe built-in shelves beyond those under the soffits. Might put acoustic panels at the sides of the screen. Might do curtains on both sides all the way to the side walls. Not sure what to do. In the meantime, here are the latest pics:

post #42 of 62 Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Maybe you could fill in the open spaces on either side of the screen with LARGE subwoofers. (hint hint).

I like your movie posters. I assume they are acoustic panels? If so what type of material and size did you go with? I'm planning on making about 8 or more acoustic panels covered with movie poster prints. Trying to decide between using 1" or 2" OC703 as the insulation.
post #43 of 62 Old 10-08-2014, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panino View Post
Maybe you could fill in the open spaces on either side of the screen with LARGE subwoofers. (hint hint).

I like your movie posters. I assume they are acoustic panels? If so what type of material and size did you go with? I'm planning on making about 8 or more acoustic panels covered with movie poster prints. Trying to decide between using 1" or 2" OC703 as the insulation.

Yeah, some SVS subs would be nice! But I didn't do channel, clips, and DD with GG on the ceiling, and the family room is right above the theater area. Looking back, since the bar ended up dividing the basement, I probably could have at least soundproofed the theater area ceiling, but for the most part I think we'll all be down there listening to the noise instead of being upstairs being annoyed by it.

The movie posters are not acoustic panels. I've had most of the posters since way back from my old house theater, and I placed them outside the first and second reflection points for the most part. They are 27" x 40." The Iron Man poster could probably be an acoustic, or I might even need a bass trap in that corner. I'm just going to treat the front wall and first and second reflection points with absorption for now, then when I get all the seats in and everything calibrated, I'll probably try to measure the room with Room EQ Wizard and try to play with the acoustic treatments a bit. Still trying to absorb all that acoustic stuff, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions about where to use absorption vs diffusion, whether you need bass traps or not, etc.

My side panels are 1", but if I get some for the screen wall, I will probably go with 2". They cost more, but are probably worth it in the long run.
post #44 of 62 Old 10-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First off, I want to congratulate on a great job. It really looks awesome!

I am interested in getting some rough dimensions on your bar area. My wife really likes the layout of your bar so if you wouldn't mind sending me front to back and side to side dimensions that would be great. How much walkway space do you have between the two sets of cabinets in the bar?

Thank you very much for your help and enjoy what all that hard work has accomplished.

Rob
post #45 of 62 Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleKing View Post
First off, I want to congratulate on a great job. It really looks awesome!

I am interested in getting some rough dimensions on your bar area. My wife really likes the layout of your bar so if you wouldn't mind sending me front to back and side to side dimensions that would be great. How much walkway space do you have between the two sets of cabinets in the bar?

Thank you very much for your help and enjoy what all that hard work has accomplished.

Rob
Thanks for the compliments Rob!
I'll give the dimensions a try:

The bar with the tall counter and stools is 10 feet long, and standard base cabinet and counter top depth of 24" The top counter is 18" deep, but I made the height slightly taller than standard bar height for a couple of reasons. Since the riser for the back row of seats will make the seat backs peek above the sink part of the bar, I wanted the people sitting at the stools to be able to see over the seat backs. Also, I wanted to be able to have a 6" tall backsplash which would allow me to install the outlets on the bar upright instead of sideways and make for efficient use of the backsplash tile that comes in 12" sheets.

BUT - here's where I went a little wrong: I made my high counter top height 42.5" instead of what I think is standard, 39." The problem is that bar stools come in pretty much two heights: counter height or bar height. The bar height would fit perfectly under the 39" I think, but the 42.5" is a little high, mostly for the kids. SO - If I had to do it again, I might not make that back part of the bar quite as high next time. Lessons learned.

The cabinets in that side of the bar are as follows: 24" open space for mini fridge#1, 18" cabinet, 30" microwave opening, 18" cabinet, and 24" opening for mini fridge #2 . (One fridge is for pop, one is for beer. They both have locks, so I can lock up the beer if the kids are hanging out down there with friends - 14 and 13 year olds - better to be safe rather than trust & worry!)

The sink side of the bar is 9.5 feet wide between the columns. I think the columns were framed at roughly 18" x 22", but the drywall, stone and woodwork increased those dimensions. The cabinets on that side consist of a 36" cabinet, 30" sink cabinet, 18" drawers, and 18" drawers. The sink is 22"x25"x8." It also has a 6" backsplash with a maple top.

The space between the two bar counters is 33" and from cabinet toe-kick to toe-kick is 42." I based those dimensions off of the space between our island and cabinets in our kitchen. During construction, it felt tight for some reason, but now that it's all finished it's just right.

That's about all of the dimensions that I could think of. Let me know if you need anything else!
post #46 of 62 Old 10-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question about your rear speakers in the bar columns. My layout will be very similar but with a smaller bar - primarily a place for the kids to have their snacks and to help divide the space between the theater and recreation area. Does the proximity of the seating area to the rears work ok? I thought there had to be more of a distance between the two. Bit of a newb so sorry if it's a basic question.
post #47 of 62 Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp2k View Post
Question about your rear speakers in the bar columns. My layout will be very similar but with a smaller bar - primarily a place for the kids to have their snacks and to help divide the space between the theater and recreation area. Does the proximity of the seating area to the rears work ok? I thought there had to be more of a distance between the two. Bit of a newb so sorry if it's a basic question.
Well, so far I haven't truly tested them out yet. Right now I only have a temporary setup going until I get the projector, screen, and chairs. Until I get everything in, run Audyssey, and analyze with Room EQ Wizard, I'm not going to judge my surrounds. I've got side surrounds also, so I don't think the seating proximity to the rears is going to be an issue, but we'll see!
post #48 of 62 Old 12-01-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!

The Black Friday stars aligned just right, and a projector and screen are on the way!!!

The screen will be from SeymourAV - fixed-frame Precision series 110" diagonal size with Glacier White 1.3 gain non-AT material.

The projector will be the EPSON 5030ub...and this was not the one I had my heart set on. Originally I was pretty set on the 6030ub, but the price wasn't making it an easy buy. Then the Sony HW40ES came out, which is less expensive, so I started looking at that. Then EPSON came out with the firmware update that significantly improved the picture. So I was back longing for the 6030. Then Black Friday came along and dished up a sweet deal on the 5030...to the tune of about $1600 less than the 6030, and that's what did it for me. Do I like the white chassis color of the 5030? No. Not one bit. But the only other sacrifices are the ISF calibration and the ability to add an anamorphic lens, and for that price difference I'm cool with that if it means the difference between having a projector and not having one. I know there are a lot of opinions out there on the 5030 vs the 40ES and I think the Sony might actually be a slightly better option for me, but the way it mounts will not work with the reinforced recess I built into my room because it is more long than wide while the EPSON is more wide than long.

So here is the breakdown of my decision:

EPSON for me wins on: Price(comes with extra lamp and 2 pair 3D glasses), RF for 3D, Black levels, Mounting/wide orientation, Lamp life, Dynamic iris, Zoom lens/placement flexibility.

Sony wins on: Picture clarity(from what I've read anyway), Input lag for gaming(if the specs translate to real world experience), Black chassis color, Sealed light path, Fan noise(haven't heard either one yet).

I picked the EPSON mostly on price and mounting, but the wins for me were mostly concrete things while the Sony wins were mostly dependent on perception and may or may not be actual wins.

I'm pretty confident that either projector would give me a great picture. I'm most worried about EPSON's quality and the input lag for gaming. I used to work for a company that refurbished EPSON inkjet printers to be resold as 'new', and I always thought that was shady. I'm hoping that their projector division is different. I don't think the fan noise is going to be an issue for me, and the white chassis is just going to have to be overlooked.

So, it sounds like it will be a week or two until these arrive. I will post new pictures of the assembly and mounting processes and I should have a whole new chapter to tell in this saga at that time!

Last edited by Schlemstar; 07-08-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #49 of 62 Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Great build here. Congrats. Along for the ride...

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #50 of 62 Old 12-03-2014, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lucky you !! got the 5030 at a great price
post #51 of 62 Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Congrats on your build. Great design and planning.
post #52 of 62 Old 12-07-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update:

I have the PJ mount - Chief RPA Elite (CHF2500). I never thought I'd be so excited about a glorified bracket! I picked up some beefy 3" x 3/8" lag screws to mount it but I don't want to jinx the projector arrival so I'm not hanging it until a big white box with a lens in the middle shows up. I'm guessing another week or two on that.

The screen should be here by the end of this week, so hopefully next weekend I can get that put up.

For now, I am building a custom dart board case since my original is a light brown fake oak with a Spaulding medallion on the front. The new case will be stained the same color as the bar cabinets and have the same brushed nickel pulls. I got the wood cut and assembled today, I bought unfinished oak cabinet doors to go on the front, and I got the first coat of stain on everything. Photos to come!

I need to get some velvet theater curtains for the sides of the screen - about 30" on each side and 90" tall. I got a quote from a custom drapery maker, and it was way over my budget. Does anyone have a good (reasonable) source for these, or is this another DIY journey that I need to take???
post #53 of 62 Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot that I haven't updated this in a while, and while I was posting over in the thread: Epson 5030UB vs Sony VPL-HW40ES, anyone else wrestling? someone reminded me that this thread still had me owning the Epson 5030ub...

Well it's definitely time for an update!

After I got the Epson, had it all mounted, and began trying to get used to it, I found that I had a hard time dialing in a picture that looked good. I was constantly fiddling and tweaking the picture settings and it never gave me a 'wow' factor moment. Next, I began to see the screen door effect and it was really distracting. The fan was also very noticeable, and after a little experimenting I found out that it runs at a higher rpm when ceiling mounted (upside down) versus shelf mounted, but either way it was loud. After that, I got a feel for the gaming lag that some people have said isn't noticeable, and gets better if you run the projector in fast mode which softens the picture a bit. Well, the lag was WAY noticeable, and the picture quality loss in fast mode was WAYtoo much for me. The lag didn't even improve enough to make gaming viable.

SO, I ordered the Sony VPL-HW40ES and got it for the Black Friday price which all said and done made it cost about $300 more than the Epson when you consider the free lamp offer from Epson at the time. It was a cost difference that I would find was well worth it.

I took the Epson off the mount and placed the two projectors side by side. I used a PS3 to compare movie picture quality and gaming (not simulataneously, but one after the other). With the Sony, I found there was no screen door effect and the picture was almost perfect right out of the box. No tweaking or anything, just goodness. Fan noise on the Sony was very low - much better than the Epson even right side up. Gaming lag was non-existent, the picture was beautiful and we game on a PS4 now which looks absolutely stunning! 3D performance was the same, although the Epson RF glasses kept sync better than the IR PS3 glasses. But, I got the PS3 glasses on Amazon for 8 bucks, and I've got 8 pairs of them and 3D is a blast to watch on this projector. Many people comment about how the Epson has better blacks. Well, I didn't see much of a difference even with Auto Iris activated on the Epson. I have a dark, light controlled room with a 1.3 gain white screen and I run the Sony in low lamp mode. I get plenty of brightness and plenty of black. Contrast settings are key, but if you have a plasma TV then you might be disappointed.

So what I thought on paper was going to be the right choice for me, ended up being the wrong choice. The Sony's picture is just better, the fan is near silent, gaming is gorgeous and responsive, and 3D performance is really great. Plus the case is black if there is any more icing to be put on this cupcake!

I need to get some new pictures on here - coming soon!
post #54 of 62 Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
love reading (and dreaming) about this journey. Really looking forward to your updated pics! I'm guessing you may be close to completion? (Although I guess we're never really "done" tweaking with our home theater huh?)

Filmmaker | Movie Hoarder | Lover of physical media, animals and food
Twitter: @grking
Blog: www.grking.com
post #55 of 62 Old 06-18-2015, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post
love reading (and dreaming) about this journey. Really looking forward to your updated pics! I'm guessing you may be close to completion? (Although I guess we're never really "done" tweaking with our home theater huh?)
Thanks! I know - I am very late with updated pics. I will try to get that done within the next few days. I do have a little bit of an update anyway - it has been a fun 6 months just watching and re-watching movies. I got to watch the not-so-Super Bowl, March Madness in all its glory (except for the end result!), and the Kentucky Derby - so even TV watching has gotten upgraded.

I've found that I have a lot of movies on DVD that I am now really motivated to get on Blu-Ray. So thanks to ebay, some rewards points and Father's Day, I've added Top Gun, Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2, Tron Legacy 3D, Thor 3D, Pacific Rim 3D, Taken, American Sniper, Invincible, and Oz the Great and Powerful to my collection. We watched Thor in 2D the other night, and I was thoroughly impressed with the 7.1 sound...it was like watching a different movie, just incredible sounds! Pacific Rim in 3D was pretty cool too.

I am also working on building my own blu-ray shelves that will be stained the same color as the bar cabinets, and located in the back corner where the Iron Man poster is currently. The unit should hold about 595 movies when it's all finished. Right now I just have the 1x8 poplar cut. I need to stain and assemble it, then polyurethane and fasten to the wall. Another reason why I haven't taken pictures yet, is because I have movies strewn all over the floor...

One more thing - I've just gotten a miniDSP UMIK-1 to allow me to use Room EQ Wizard to measure the room's acoustics. I have SO much to learn about this stuff, but it's very interesting to me. I can't wait to fire it up and see what the room is doing - then try to figure out how to optimize things!

More to come soon!

Last edited by Schlemstar; 06-18-2015 at 02:55 PM.
post #56 of 62 Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Subscribed!!!
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Nice job so far. Keep it up.

Chris

"The Boy has no patients" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan
Work is what we do to pay for our HT.
My attempt living room build The Story Time Theater
post #57 of 62 Old 06-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Pretty darn impressive. I love how the bar seating is set perfectly to view the screen through archway. Really slick.
post #58 of 62 Old 06-25-2015, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATED! Added some recent photos today of the temporary seating and A/V component "rack." Also a couple of screenshots of "Casino Royale." It's not the prettiest right now, but at least we can enjoy it. Decorations, blu-ray shelves, curtains flanking the screen, power-recline seats, cabinets and shelves in the bar pantry, and the A/V cabinet below the screen will finish this project off whenever budget allows again. Still very impressed with the Sony HW40ES projector and we've put about 800 hours on it already since December. Hope to have another update soon after I play with Room EQ Wizard for awhile....

Last edited by Schlemstar; Yesterday at 04:48 PM.
post #59 of 62 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update - here are the blu-ray & DVD shelves complete & installed:

They are 1x8 poplar with the same color-matched stain from the bar columns and dartboard case. Semi-gloss lacquer to finish. The lower supports had to be notched out for the baseboard trim, and along the side I had to remove the baseboard completely to allow the right side to be flush to the wall. L-brackets underneath the shelves anchor the whole thing to the wall behind.

As far as the Room Eq Wizard measurements...I'll have to get some of the graphs off of the laptop and start posting them here. Some weird things going on - I've got a lot of variations in the low end, specifically peaks at 40-70 Hz and 110 Hz, with dips at 80, 90 and about 160 Hz....I'm talking about 25dB swings...not sure what to make of that. Then there is another dip at about 2KHz. The rest I think I can live with. I'm trying to read as much as I can about room acoustics, but it's not something you just pick up off of a youtube video...

Decorations are starting to go up, and I'm trying to get quotes on the A/V cabinets and curtains for the sides of the screen. Stay tuned!
post #60 of 62 Old Today, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Simply stunning work my friend. Absolutely gorgeous job!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Onkyo Tx Ds595 Surround Sound Receiver
Gear in this thread - Ds595 by PriceGrabber.com