Schlemtheater II - Attack of the ArchBar - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Nice stonework on the bar!!!!  I refaced my family room fireplace with an almost identical product.  It was a painstaking process to get the small pieces all configured.  After that, I decided against using the small stacked stone for any purpose ever again.  :o

I using face brick in my sports themed basement, which is similar, but goes up more like tile w/ even grout spacers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-11-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
UPDATE:

New pictures posted!

All stone work is complete.

All crown moulding is complete.

Working on giving the bar a paneled wood look on the back and the top part of the columns. I might also do that across the arch - we'll see how it looks once the columns are done.

Hope to be carpeting in June and installing projector and screen shortly after!!!

Check out my build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Phase One is complete and carpet is being installed in two days! Final reveal pics to follow!

Phase Two will consist of decorating the walls, getting 3 more bar stools, adding custom media cabinetry around the screen, custom pantry cabinets and shelves, and motorized reclining home theater seating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 40 Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking Good

You're Basement is really coming together! Cannot wait to see finals.

WOOLFMAN

One small job for mankind, one hell of a build for 1 guy
post #35 of 40 Old 08-09-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of new photos added today! Bar is done, carpet is in, new receiver is hooked up for testing, acoustic panels are being located, decorations are being acquired, bar stools are in, and we're in the home stretch for custom cabinets around the screen, custom pantry, projector, screen, and seating!

post #36 of 40 Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Acoustic panels installed on side walls

Update today - We did the exercise to locate all the first and second reflection points of the L and R speakers. Then we added first reflections of the center channel. We did this for 8 seating locations, so we ended up with 48 pieces of tape on the walls scattered throughout the side walls for the most part.

I had initially bought four 2' x 4' x 1" panels from Acoustimac.com and was going to put two on the front wall behind the front speakers, and two at the first reflection points. Then, I decided that since I was planning on having 8 seating locations in two curved rows, that one panel on each side probably wasn't going to be enough so I ordered two more panels.

Now that I have seen the spread including the center channel, I put up three panels on each side wall covering pretty much all of the first and center reflections. Some of the seconds aren't going to be treated, but I think I can live with that. Now I am going to wait hopefully for a Labor Day sale to order two more panels to go on the front wall since I robbed those two for the side walls. I'll post pictures soon!

post #37 of 40 Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, I thought my stone veneer was a pain! You had 400 more lbs and a lot more corners and cuts. Nice job.
I agree with you on the drywall. Never again.
Can the screen be a little bigger than your mock-up?
Looking forward to more pics.
post #38 of 40 Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can you tell me about what you used for your crown moulding lighting? i.e. what product / where you got it / how you installed it / etc? I understand the dropped crown moulding aspect -- just trying to figure out what sort of lighting to go with.

Overall your basement looks great!

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #39 of 40 Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Can you tell me about what you used for your crown moulding lighting? i.e. what product / where you got it / how you installed it / etc? I understand the dropped crown moulding aspect -- just trying to figure out what sort of lighting to go with.

Overall your basement looks great!
Thanks! Here is an excerpt from my build that explains it a little. I think I got the ziptie holders from partsexpress.com:

Here is the construction of the theater area cove LED lights. I used 120v 3/8" soft white rope lighting from www.orangetreetrade.com. I painted both sides of the crown moulding to reflect more light. Then, I cut triangular spacer blocks at 38-degree angles for the 4 5/8" crown moulding to be attached to. The rope lighting was also attached to these. Sizing was very critical because it affected how the crown rested on it. Would have been easier to rip a 2x4, but with no table saw, I had to go this route:

I did not want to mess with 12vdc LEDs because then a converter needs to be mounted somewhere. The only thing I don't like about the rope is that the LEDs all point forward so I don't feel like they radiate light outward as much as they probably could, but it's still bright enough for accent lighting. Definitely would not use the LED rope as a primary light source. Hope that helps!

-Schlemstar

post #40 of 40 Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekeith View Post
Man, I thought my stone veneer was a pain! You had 400 more lbs and a lot more corners and cuts. Nice job.
I agree with you on the drywall. Never again.
Can the screen be a little bigger than your mock-up?
Looking forward to more pics.
The 110" screen size (16:9) is as big as I can go because I'm putting 30" cabinets below the screen to house the components and center channel speaker. Also, my first row viewing distance is going to be about 9-10 feet so I feel like a bigger screen may be too overwhelming for the front row. I don't want everyone to fight over the back row all the time. So, like everything there are always compromises to be made. (I agree that wall looks like it can handle a much bigger screen - I wish!)

-Schlemstar

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Onkyo Tx Ds595 Surround Sound Receiver
Gear in this thread - Ds595 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page