Power - conditioning and surge protection and strips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I just got off the phone with DirecTV and the "case manager" there said my problem was power distribution. He says that I should not be using a surge protector / power strip; that all of my devices should be plugged directly into the wall outlet. And even better if I can plug the AV Receiver and DirecTV into different circuits. So I explained to him that my house has 1 circuit for all of the outlets in the living room, and only two outlets within 6 ft of my cabinet. I have TV, AV Receiver, BD, multi DVD, CD, DirecTV. At this time, all are plugged into a Monoprice 10-outlet HT Power Center.
DirecTV says I am forcing the power for all devices down one wire in the wall and then through even smaller wires in the power strip; and therefore am throttling the power available to each device.
I live in rural Tennessee, the local power fluctuates regularly, lightning has struck my house before (found out after we bought it). I have whole-house surge protector at the meter. I use APC UPS for computers and was considering adding APC for the HT and plugging the Power Center into the UPS.
I guess I am just looking for ya'll's expertise, comments, and suggestions.
Thanks much!
Don C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
What problem are you having?

Unplug the unessentials (BDP, multidisc player, CD player) and see if the problem persists.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by donscastle View Post

Hello,
I just got off the phone with DirecTV and the "case manager" there said my problem was power distribution. He says that I should not be using a surge protector / power strip; that all of my devices should be plugged directly into the wall outlet. And even better if I can plug the AV Receiver and DirecTV into different circuits. So I explained to him that my house has 1 circuit for all of the outlets in the living room, and only two outlets within 6 ft of my cabinet. I have TV, AV Receiver, BD, multi DVD, CD, DirecTV. At this time, all are plugged into a Monoprice 10-outlet HT Power Center.
DirecTV says I am forcing the power for all devices down one wire in the wall and then through even smaller wires in the power strip; and therefore am throttling the power available to each device.
I live in rural Tennessee, the local power fluctuates regularly, lightning has struck my house before (found out after we bought it). I have whole-house surge protector at the meter. I use APC UPS for computers and was considering adding APC for the HT and plugging the Power Center into the UPS.
I guess I am just looking for ya'll's expertise, comments, and suggestions.
Thanks much!
Don C.

Don:

I have been a Directv customer for over 12 years. Let me tell you that Directv Techs, CS, Case managers, etc. are a dime a dozen. It is really a game of roulette as to whether you get one who knows what they are talking about. I have 3 Directv boxes, H24, HR24, and HR34 media center/genie. Each of them has their own Monster PowerCenter/Surge Protector and I have never had a problem. In fact they have caught a surge a couple of times and shut down to save that particular system. Each of them is in a different room and each room is on a different circuit. Each room has all of its A/V equipment plugged into its power center.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the problem is visible lines on the hdtv when using component video cables. A related problem is the Denon AVR from time to time loses the HDMI sync with DirecTV. I read on another thread to get a better quality HDMI cable and I have ordered RedMere HDMI cables from Monoprice. But this is off-topic for this question.
I am interested in the the statement of running 6 devices all through the same plug using a surge protector power strip. Additionally, adding a UPS or Line Conditioner in between the wall and the power strip. Can this affect the amount of power that gets offered to each device? Really?
Is there some validity to the claim that each device should be plugged in directly to the wall outlet? With additional suggestion to separate devices to different circuits? Does the benefit of doing this outweigh the protection of a surge protector power strip?
Thanks again!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I think the DirecTV rep is full of crap. I don't think it's the surge strip.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

I don't think he's full of crap. I KNOW he's full of crap. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Well, the problem is visible lines on the hdtv when using component video cables.

Now, that could indicate a power/ground-related problem, but let's not equate analog video interference with "not getting enough power", because that is just plain false...

If by "lines on the TV" you mean moving diagonal / horizontal darker-than-the-picture lines on the screen - that's analog interference. If it's something else, it's a different problem.

Interference can come from a number of sources - poor connections, bad connectors, bad cables can cause this. Grounding issues can also cause these, which is where the power strip could come into play.

As was already suggested, disconnect the rest of the gear from the TV as you need to isolate the source of the problem - run component video straight from the DirecTV box to the TV - see what you get there. Try it with and without the analog audio connection, too. If the problem is still there, connect something else via component video to the same input and see what that looks like.

And also, before we go much further - why aren't you using HDMI from the DirecTV box? Are you running all the sources to the TV instead of through the AVR? If you run the DirecTV box to an HDMI input temporarily, does the problem go away? The DirecTV box will output both component and HDMI simultaneously, so you can try both at the same time and switch between them to see any differences.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hey,
Again, my question was looking for information on power distribution - different plugs, circuits, surge protectors, power strips, line conditioners, etc.
However, since you are asking about my problem - here it is. Yes, I use HDMI from DirecTV to Denon AVR. However, the picture goes black from time to time. Research on this indicates an HDMI sync problem. So I connected via Component Video from DirecTV to AVR. Both the HDMI and Component Video cables are connected - the HDMI picture is great (except for the blackouts) and the Component Video picture has a definite horizontal (though I would say lighter than the picture) lines scrolling.
I called Denon and they suggested a better HDMI cable - now on order from Monoprice.
I called DirecTV and got the whole spiel about power distribution, robbing the DirecTV and AVR of all the power it needs (he did not mention any other device).
Which brought me to this forum - asking a question about power distribution, plugs, circuits, surge protectors, power strips, line conditioners, etc.
If you can, please disregard my HDMI handshake problem as I am addressing this.
If you would like, please provide your two cents on the power distribution quandary. Is there really a chance that I am degrading my HT experience by plugging all devices into one power center? If so, what does a regular family guy do to address this?
Thanks again for your comments; looking forward to this discussion,
Don C.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

I called Denon and they suggested a better HDMI cable - now on order from Monoprice.

I would have said a "different" HDMI cable, but as long as you try another one, that's a good start.

You should also try bypassing the Denon AVR and run HDMI from the DirecTV box directly to the TV. Run a digital audio cable from the DirecTV box to the AVR so you can still get surround sound. You're not losing anything except a single switching function by doing this (if you have a universal remote, this can be made completely transparent from a usability standpoint).
Quote:
I called DirecTV and got the whole spiel about power distribution, robbing the DirecTV and AVR of all the power it needs (he did not mention any other device).

100% false.
Quote:
Is there really a chance that I am degrading my HT experience by plugging all devices into one power center?

The horizontal lines in the analog video do indicate a poor connection, "ground loop" or related issue. It *may* have something to do with "power" in general, but there's no "robbing" of power. Complete nonsense.

Which is why we want you to start removing devices from the mix. The video noise could be coming from a poor ground on another connected device. Remove all the other devices so you can see exactly who's involved to make it happen.
Quote:
If so, what does a regular family guy do to address this?

Don't listen to CSR's about subjects outside of the devices / services they support. biggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Monoprice 6ft Ultra Slim Series High Speed Hdmi Cable W Redmere Technology Black