What speakers to go w/Onkyo TX-NR626 open floor design house/living room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have large open spaced living room with 18ft cathedral ceilings. Seating is 12ft from the screen. Currently I have no setup.
I really like the onkyo 626 receiver for its Bluetooth, wifi and zone features. I'm going to stay with a 5.1 setup. I do have a Polk psw-10 sub from my old setup I can use.
Would the 626 suit the open space?

I'm having trouble picking speakers. I'm not sure where to start. Im having a hard time categorizing with so many options. Budget is flexible but I'd like to keep the setup budget friendly. I don't mind waiting and saving up a little more if the speakers are worth it. This setup will be used for video gaming, blue ray, Netflix and HTPC. I figure I start with speakers that suit my environment. Any suggestions?

I would like to wall mount the front/center speakers (TV is wallmounted above fire place) and put the rears on floor stands. I will run as much wiring as possible through the walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Do some browsing in the "Speakers" forum. Speaker form factor and budget will be the defining criteria - don't worry about "matching" the receiver. And you really should listen to speakers before buying - take music along with you to judge sound quality for yourself. And speakers should be probably 50% of your system budget.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 12 Old 07-27-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Do some browsing in the "Speakers" forum. Speaker form factor and budget will be the defining criteria - don't worry about "matching" the receiver. And you really should listen to speakers before buying - take music along with you to judge sound quality for yourself. And speakers should be probably 50% of your system budget.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I made the post after three hours of reading AVS forums before going to bed. My brain was fried from info overload. Before that, I went to a few local stores around to get an idea. I went to Fry's, Costco and Best Buy to check out their display stuff. It seems that anywhere I go they try to sell me on Bose speakers...I know there's more out there than Bose. Once I hit the bed, I realized my questions is very generic...

I've been reading up in the Speaker section. Very useful stuff. I will continue to gather more information.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I know you say budget is flexible but what is a "max" you would prefer to stay under?

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

I know you say budget is flexible but what is a "max" you would prefer to stay under?

I would like to keep my speaker budget under $1500 sub included. Is the Dayton Audio sub (1000 and 1200 series) any decent? People recommend to get a nice sub in the 300-400 range and Dayton Audio is well below that and it has good reviews.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I can't speak on the Dayton but would look at a minimum of the Klipsch RW12-D from newegg which they have for $280

If you fine speakers you like that let you up your budget on the sup the next up in price is the PB1000 from SVS or the LV12R from Rythmik audio.

Have you heard any brand of speakers you've liked better than others so far? I personally have Polks that I like and you can get a set from them in your budget. They have an eBay store so you can buy direct cheaper also.

You can get four RTI A3's and a CSI A6 for about 950.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-11-2013, 07:20 AM

I also purchased last 30th of July the receiver, I was confused which midrange I'm able to match, Is it the Definitive pro cinema 600, Boston xs 5.1 or the Wharfedale dx-1 hcp. Im going to set up in my room and the size would be 2.5 x 3.5 meters..which of these will be to fit on 626, I know the Wharfedale are the better match for Onkyo, need your opinion also.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirojon View Post

I also purchased last 30th of July the receiver, I was confused which midrange I'm able to match, Is it the Definitive pro cinema 600, Boston xs 5.1 or the Wharfedale dx-1 hcp. Im going to set up in my room and the size would be 2.5 x 3.5 meters..which of these will be to fit on 626, I know the Wharfedale are the better match for Onkyo, need your opinion also.

I just searched and found that Wharfedale dx-1 hcp has 4 Ohms speakers, Which will have less impedance and draw more power from the AVR eventually it will get HOT, in High volumes I guess the speakers will distort..

Any other speaker suggestions starting with 6ohms  ?

post #9 of 12 Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Holy batman thread resurrection. It's been a while since last posted...life comes up. But I wanted to give an update on my progress.

Onkyo 626 is out...say hello to Sony STR-DH 840.

I got an unbelievable deal that I just couldn't pass up. For speakers, I have the Monoprice Premiums on the way. They appear to be great entry level speakers. At that price I can focus on the big details first and upgrade later. Big one is the wiring...since all of that will be permanent I want it to be nice and solid.

This is my plan of attack: I will focus on getting the wiring done first and optimize speaker location. I've used my MS paint skills to indicate the location of the speakers...
I plan to run all cables from the TV to the receiver through walls, relocate a power outlet behind the TV for a nice, stealthy, finished look.

The surround left will be the trickiest...so what do you think?

Ninja Edit: The last pic is from the POV of the TV...I will be working on the measurements this week will keep the thread updated as I go. Pardon the messy room.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If this was still a valid thread I would have vouched for the Boston's xs se speakers, coupled with A25's. That's my setup for my 7.1 heights and love it.

But as it isn't for speaker choice I have to say glad you have picked your speakers. Hope you are as happy with them as I am with mine smile.gif

Also like where you are planting your speakers. wink.gif

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
post #11 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM

I have TX NR626 with Jamo 5.1 (A102 speakers & SB200 subwoofer), its a great combination, giving crystal clear sound with thunderous bass effect. You will love to hear any type of music in this home theatre. Anybody looking for speakers to combine with TxNr626 you can go for Jamo, you will enjoy it for sure.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM

I have TX NR626 with Jamo 5.1 (A102 speakers & SB200 subwoofer), its a great combination, giving crystal clear sound with thunderous bass effect. You will love to hear any type of music in this home theatre. Anybody looking for speakers to combine with TxNr626 you can go for Jamo, you will enjoy it for sure.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr626 by PriceGrabber.com