Best Oscillating Fan for Home Theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone own an oscillating fan that they would recommend for a home theater? I dont have clearance for a ceiling fan due to the projector and I am looking to buy an oscillating fan to move the air around a bit and keep people cooler so that I don't have to keep the central air turned so low. As it stands now I keep my central ac's fan set to "ON" to keep the air circulating when the theater is in use but that is not very cost effective.

Yes, I have a hot air return in the room but here in Florida, especially on the 2nd floor, things heat up quickly in the summer. Room is 14'x20'

I'm hoping to find a black tower or other oscillating fan that runs extremely quiet! Whisper quiet on low! I have read a bunch of reviews on Amazon but "quiet" and "loud" are so subjective and everything seems to revolve around whether or not the reviewing can sleep through the noise. It is almost impossible to see a review that measures db and completely impossible to find on from a reviewer who owns a home theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM

I have a Lasko Tower fan like this that I used in my HT prior to installing a ceiling fan, that worked very well and is pretty quiet on low. Even on one of the medium settings it was pretty quiet and did not get annoying until you got into the higher settings. The addition of a remote makes it pretty handy for a HT or media room.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Ozeri 3x Tower Fan (44") with Passive Noise Reduction Technology
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I5KSMM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these and it's fairly quiet, you can run just one of the fans or all three if you need more air moved. It also has a sleep option so you don't have to remember to turn it off.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What about the Dyson fans. They're supposed to be pretty quiet.

http://www.dyson.com/fans/fansandheaters.aspx
post #5 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have read that the "whooshing" sound from the Dyson bladeless fans are probably louder than what I am looking for. I would go to the store to check for myself except that they are much too expensive to even be considered an option for me. eek.gif I will likely try the Ozeri 3x Tower Fan. That has been in my Amazon wish list for some time. I like the fact that you can run just 1 of the 3 fans. Worst case, running just 1 of the 3 should not be too bad. I have read that the lights on that fan can be distracting which seems to be a common problem. I'm sure I can cover them up with some electrical tape or velvet.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 AM

Liked: 11
I just got a Dyson fan (AM03) 2 days ago. The whirring is quieter than our new aircon unit so I don't hear it. With our aircon off it is audible when blowing power is set from medium to high, but not terribly so. All the sound is from the blowing, no sound from the oscillation (ie: no clicking, etc.). The fan is a lot bigger than I expected though. The little remote with it is a nice feature.
(I should also mention I got an 82% family discount. There's no way i'd spend 500 bucks on it.)
post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm currently using these Honeywell fans in a couple rooms in combination with ceiling fans.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-QuietSet-16-Stand-Fan/dp/B004ND5FGY/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1375380546&sr=1-5&keywords=honeywell+fan

At $40 they have been reliable for years and are pretty quiet considering the air they put out and look decent as well. I purchased a Lasko and it died within a few weeks, though that was probably isolated.

The Dyson fans look interesting and I thought they put out decent air in a couple demo's I've seen... but I just can't justify the cost.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglashower View Post

I have read that the "whooshing" sound from the Dyson bladeless fans are probably louder than what I am looking for. I would go to the store to check for myself except that they are much too expensive to even be considered an option for me. eek.gif I will likely try the Ozeri 3x Tower Fan. That has been in my Amazon wish list for some time. I like the fact that you can run just 1 of the 3 fans. Worst case, running just 1 of the 3 should not be too bad. I have read that the lights on that fan can be distracting which seems to be a common problem. I'm sure I can cover them up with some electrical tape or velvet.

I ended up with the ozeri 3x and I'm disappointed by how loud it is even with just one of the 3 blades running on low. Granted, I have been accused of being overly sensitive! I'll be keeping the fan since it was a gift, since it gets the job done, and since I have not found anything better. I can always kick on the central ac fan if it gets stuffy during quieter movies. Thank goodness for wifi thermostats!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page