Projector and Living Room Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
I am planning on replacing my current flat screen with a projector screen. I had bought my TV(46") back in my apartment where it was mounted for a 7-8' viewing distance. Now in my house I have a much large viewing distance(closer to 15' for TV) and I find the 46" TV too small for some of my uses. When playing games and such it is often hard to read the text as it is small and so far away.
I was thinking of getting a larger TV, around 60", however I have always wanted to have a projector in my house. I host a lot of movie nights and parties at my house and a nice projector setup is something that I have been missing.

I have a space that can accommodate about a 100" wide screen, so it will come out to about a 115" diagonal.

I know that it is not the best solution, but at this moment I am leaning towards having the projector display directly on a white wall, instead of a fixed/pulldown screen. I may get a screen in the future but it is currently not being considered. I have seen the wall projection on several of my friends/family places and I am okay with the results.

I am looking at a shelf mount, with about a 16'8"-17' throw distance. My room is about 18' long so that is estimating a average projector depth of 12 inches.

Currently have a price range in mind around $1000, which puts me right in the middle of the entry level projectors. The models I have been considering are as follows -
Acer H6510BD
BenQ EP5920
BenQ W1070
Viewsonic PRO8300
Optoma HD25
Epson 8345/8350

Using the Calculator Pro on Projector Central, it looks like the only ones possible of displaying a 100" image from an approx 16'8" throw are the Epsons and the Viewsonic.

This will be used in a fairly open living room, so there is a fair amount of ambient light. However, about 80% of the time that the projector will be used will be at night, where the windows would not cause a problem. Also, curtains are a possibility to block out some of the light as necessary, right now there are only some thin blinds. Because of this, I need a projector that is fairly bright for the sparse daytime use, but is also capable of being dimmed down enough for nighttime movie use. I do not in any way, expect or need the great image during the day, just the possibility to see it fairly well where its not very washed out.

From reading reviews it seems that the Viewsonic does not exhibit the rainbow effect too badly, compared to other DLP projectors. Since the Epson is LCD, it shouldn't have any rainbowing. Is there some other downside to the LCD technology that I am overlooking?

I noticed that the 8345 is almost the same as the 8350, only difference being the slightly lower lumen rating and contrast ratio. I have seen comparisons of the CR for the two projectors and they seem to be pretty close even though the 8350 is twice as high. This makes me lean towards the 8345 since it is over $200 cheaper.

This will be paired to a Denon AVR 891 (currently used with my TV) and a set of Pioneer floorstanding speakers for the front and bookshelf on the sides (5.1).

Let me know if there are any suggestions or more information that you may need. I think I've been pretty thorough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
I don't think you are missing anything off the top if my head. I have an 8350 in my basement that is used in cinema mode lost of the time with all the lights off. We have however had times (final four, ufc) where we have people over with all the basement lights on. In this situation we just turn on the dynamic mode and while the picture is not as good overall it still looks nice on a 100" screen.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

any thoughts on the refurb units? I generally shy away from refurb but these are done by Epson themselves and come with the full warranty. its $400 cheaper which makes it pretty tempting.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Don't have any experience with them. My ask in the projector section to see what kind of experience people have with the refurbs.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehal88 View Post

any thoughts on the refurb units? I generally shy away from refurb but these are done by Epson themselves and come with the full warranty. its $400 cheaper which makes it pretty tempting.

I got a brand new Epson 8350 with free shipping from Amazon for $991 last week. I had it on my wish list and just kept checking it every day (some times several times a day) and after about a month, I hit pay dirt! Two weeks prior to that, one of the retailers had it for $1,049 for a day, but I wasn't 100% sure at that time it was the projector I wanted. If you can wait and have enough patience, you can get the 8350 for well under MSRP.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8deadfan View Post

I got a brand new Epson 8350 with free shipping from Amazon for $991 last week. I had it on my wish list and just kept checking it every day (some times several times a day) and after about a month, I hit pay dirt! Two weeks prior to that, one of the retailers had it for $1,049 for a day, but I wasn't 100% sure at that time it was the projector I wanted. If you can wait and have enough patience, you can get the 8350 for well under MSRP.

Great price

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8deadfan View Post

Damn. Should have bought me one too! I don't know what it is, but for some reason I tend to not trust the resellers on Amazon marking items as "new". Probably just a mental thing.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector , Benq Ep5920 Plug N Play 1080p Home Theater Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , View Sonic Pro8300 Full Hd Dlp Business Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson Home Cinema 8345 1080p 3lcd Platinum Edition , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page