Blackout curtain for small basement window - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hey all, so I know everyone knows what I'm talking about with those small basement windows... I originally wanted to just cover it up during drywall, but my wife wouldn't have that, so I'm looking for blackout curtains or some other method of blackout that won't make the window unfunctional and haven't been very successful finding something for one of these tiny windows. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Are you trying to retain physical access to the window for emergencies or are you wanting to keep the window available for natural light some of the time?

If you just want physical access you could build a window plug, search the theater construction threads for tips. You could also possibly buy one of the outside window covers used to keep snow/leaves out, and paint that to block out the light. This would give the impression of the window being physically normal from the inside but it wouldn't allow light through to interfere with your screen.

If you want to allow light some of the time then blackout curtains are probably going to be your best bet. Depending on the size of the window you may have to make them custom or alter something that is store bought.

I hope this helps. If you post a picture and clarify what exactly you want to accomplish you may get more input.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
maybe just get a blackout valance? I am not sure how large the window is but I'm think its one of those ~1ft windows that are only for the egress.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Go to your local fabric store and buy a yard or 2 of blackout cloth (it is actually white) Cut it to be larger than the window, use self stick velcro dots and stick it in place when you want to block the light, pull it off and roll it up when not in use. Wife is happy, you are happy,but it may take an extra minute to set up each time.
CheYC likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definitely still want the window able to let through natural light at times, so can't completely block it out permanently . I like the velcro idea with the blackout cloth, think I might give that a go. The window is basically one of these guys:

post #6 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
With a nice smooth plastic frame the velcro should work well. don't use heavy duty get the weakes stuff you can find as you do not want the glue pulling off.. seem to always happen with the heavy duty as the vecro is stronger than the glue.
Show us what you come up with!~
post #7 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Why not magnetic tape and a metal panel?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page