Banana Plugs and Lossy Signals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-31-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just installed my first banana plugs on all my speakers and receiver inputs (except for the center input which I had to use a pin plug as it's a spring clip). These are high-quality Monoprice plugs and pins and I have a couple questions concerning banana connections in general:

If I screw the plugs down poorly, will I notice a loss in sound quality? For example, if the wire was too far down over the screw indents, would it chop off the wire when I screwed it down and lose signal?

Would stripping off an extra centimeter of wire covering expose more wire for signal loss as well?

Or is it a 0.0001% loss that a human ear can't detect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Probably more like 0.0002%...

biggrin.gif

Just make sure you get a good connection with all of the conductor, the rest is just to keep the cable from coming loose... The insulation is not shielding and will not affect the signal at all.
MamaKrayma likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

When I screw the top of the plug on after the wires are fanned out, it inevitably forces an equal and solid connection with the copper, correct?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep!
MamaKrayma likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKrayma View Post

When I screw the top of the plug on after the wires are fanned out, it inevitably forces an equal and solid connection with the copper, correct?

Technically, NO. However you are overthinking all of this.

If you fan out, the tightest connection will be with the strand that has the greates diameter, accounting for the flatness issues with the connector itself. In reality, I would recommend twisting the strands instead and clamping because the connection would then be spread evenly over all strands and the strands will spread out under pressure.

Basically I agree with Jautor (yet again). Get a solid connection and stop worrying.
MamaKrayma likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

Technically, NO. However you are overthinking all of this.

If you fan out, the tightest connection will be with the strand that has the greates diameter, accounting for the flatness issues with the connector itself. In reality, I would recommend twisting the strands instead and clamping because the connection would then be spread evenly over all strands and the strands will spread out under pressure.

Basically I agree with Jautor (yet again). Get a solid connection and stop worrying.

Yeah, I assumed he was talking about the type of connector where you DO fan out for the screw to catch it (the hidden wire-style).

But if this is a through-hole style banana plug, then do just as jayn_j said and twist the copper then tighten the screw. Basically, follow the directions for your type of plug and you'll be fine.
MamaKrayma likes this.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yeah, I assumed he was talking about the type of connector where you DO fan out for the screw to catch it (the hidden wire-style).

But if this is a through-hole style banana plug, then do just as jayn_j said and twist the copper then tighten the screw. Basically, follow the directions for your type of plug and you'll be fine.
Yeah, I have closed screw-type (rear entry only) and I did the fan out method. Thanks to you both for your help. Now I just need to find myself a good dedicated CD player...
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page