Need a hot air exhaust venting solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright gang, here's the situation. See this collection of publicly viewable pictures for context:

https://plus.google.com/115894667954607230724/posts

More context:

EPSON 8700ub; ECO mode OFF; High Altitude Mode ON
Projector lamp hours is at 17, very recently replaced.
Unit warranty expired January 2013
Air filter is clean

I keep my apartment at 74 F

The unit works for 15 minutes, then powers off, blinks the red light, and turns the fans on super-high for about a minute. Then I have to flip the power switch off and on, then power button. Next go only lasts about 10 minutes, until it gets to the point where I'll power it on, and it will immediately go to overheat-high-power-fan mode.

What I suspect is that with the positioning in the room, the heat venting out of the PJ exhaust is diverted sharply to the unit's left. The air conditioning vent blows air diagonally down and toward the side of the shelf the PJ is perched on. This airflow encourages the hot exhaust air to make it's way back around to the intake on the back of the unit.

I'm thinking of a two/three step solution, the first step involving kludging up a way to direct the exhaust out into the center of the room where the ceiling fan is. Second step is to add an external fan to the projector intake, and possible third step is adding an external fan to the exhaust. Each of these steps should encourage hot air getting away, and only cooled air getting in.

Any of you guys had any experience/success with this kind of situation?

Also worth noting: if I dtop my AC down to 70 F, I don't have any difficulty, but that's kind of expensive : /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 AM

I have a 13' x 13' x 8' room with 8 seats out of a movie theater. The projector, receiver, blueray and dvr are on shelves 6' high and 7' high.
With a ceiling fan, air con and two floor fans running, it gets too hot. Fortunately the equipment is on an outside wall. I am installing two Broan extractor fans in the wall to vent directly outside. They are 150 cfm each and 4 sones. $25/each. I'm also installing two registers in the wall so that our very effective QuietCool whole house fan can draw in cold air after sundown. This should give me the cooling options I need.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have an Epson 8350 and its location is nowhere near as good as yours, from an airflow perspective - I know it's not the identical PJ, but it's from a similar family of devices. Before checking out the photos, I imagined that your PJ was stuck into a semi-enclosed space, but it's actually one of the better examples I've seen of having free airflow all around it (it's not even pinned to the ceiling, where all the really hot air hangs out)! This makes me wonder if your unit has 'other issues'....

The Epson cooling fans are usually pretty adequate in shifting the required quantity of air through the device, so if the unit is getting too hot then you've either got a faulty unit, you are adversely interfering with the airflow to and/or from the fan, or the air you're feeding the fan is too hot to provide effective cooling.

Given that you're outside of warranty: As the projector shifts air from rear to front, can you use a register deflector to make sure that a portion of the chilled air from the AC gets pushed out along the ceiling towards, but above, the 8700 - this stops it going head-to-head with the exhaust outflow (and being heavier than hot air, it will drop down towards the back of the projector, exactly where you want it)? If you can do this, the heated air from the exhaust will make its way unhindered to the center of the room, to be dissipated by the ceiling fan.

In my experience, it's better to use fans to direct cooler air to the rear of the Epson, rather than trying to pull more air through by using an additional fan after the exhaust vent (like you were proposing for "step 3") - the key is to get the right volume of the right temperature air to the location where it is needed.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "...the heat venting out of the PJ exhaust is diverted sharply to the unit's left" - is this because of the current of AC air, or is the heated air actually coming out of the LH side of the unit?

I'd definitely double-check that the pathway the air takes through the projector really is free & clear - I really don't think you should be having these issues in a 74 degree room. My 8350 is in a considerably worse location and in the summer my HT is always around the 77/78 degree mark, and I've never experienced anything like you are seeing.

....or it might just be that little blue & yellow Power Ranger-like dude next to your 8700 that's messing with you!

Dave
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions folks. I like the idea of budget vent made of foam. Lightweight, cheap, durable, and if it collapses, absolutely zero things can break.

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350