New Construction Media/Theater Room - need feedback and ideas! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are building a new house. We added the media room option that will be used as a dedicated theater room. It has no windows and is located above the garage.

I desire to have a projector and screen in the room but I need some help evaluating the plans for the whole room....stereo included.

The room is almost a square. I know this is terrible for acoustics, but there is nothing I can do about that. The room itself is not very large anyway, so I can't do much.

It is being pre-wired for 5.1. I just met with the super yesterday to show him where I wanted those wires run because they did an awful job with it the first time. The house gets sheetrocked at the start of next week, so I am staying on top of the wiring to make sure it is run how I need it. I had them move the rear speaker wires from the back wall to the side walls at the seating area. I also had them move the front speaker wires from about 8' off the ground, to about 5' off the ground. The wire for the center channel speaker was halfway up the wall, so I asked them to move it as close to the ground as possible. I thought about trying to sneak in and add the back wall speakers back in place to allow for a 7.1 setup, but I am not sure if they would notice before it gets sheetrocked.....it takes an act of congress to get things added/changed through the builder. I can't do any of the work myself, but I did offer, haha.

The room is basically 12' deep by 14' wide and 10' at the tallest part of the ceiling. You enter the room by going down three stairs that are right on the screen wall. About eight feet back from the front wall, the ceiling slopes down to the back wall. The sloped part of the ceiling goes from 10' down to 5' on the back wall.

Naturally due to lack of depth in the room, I will only be doing one row of seating, which will be right up against the back wall of the room.

Per my wife's request, we will be doing in-wall speakers. The center channel will have to be a normal cabinet style on a floor stand as there is no way to mount an in-wall center channel the way the wall is framed. I had always envisioned my theater room with nice floorstanding speakers, but I am ok with in-walls. I really don't think anything else would work well with the layout of the room.
I have used Monoprice in-walls in several other applications with success, so those will certainly be my fallback. The room will have a lower end budget; however, I am considering looking into a nicer speaker...say, Klipsch in-walls. I am counting on the projector soaking up most of my funds.

They normally run all of the speaker wires, coax, Cat6, etc to the center of the front wall. I am not going to use any sort of stand up there, so I had them move all of that to the left wall (wall with the stairs) so that I can have a cabinet/shelf built inside the wall to hold the components. It will get it out of the way and save some floor space and distraction up front.

On to the screen....I am not sure what size screen I can get away with while only having a seating distance of about 11'-12' away. I am thinking sub-100" is the route to focus on....92" or 96". I had them run an outlet and conduit to the ceiling for a projector. That location is 10' from the front wall. I am needing help figuring out if that is even far enough away, and of course what size screen I should be focusing on.

So, in long, I am asking for feedback - good, bad, ugly - about my theater room. I know the box shape is not ideal for acoustics, and it is not too long of a room, but I want someone to tell me their thoughts about my space. Without the physical room to get too carried away in there, should I bother dumping a lot of money into high quality speakers? Should I try to run rear surround speakers for a 7.1 setup?....is the room even big enough to benefit from it?
I'm really looking to get a conversation started about the room to help me develop my plans for it better.

I need to get more pictures, but have been waiting until they get closer to sheetrock before bothering. Here are a couple that I had on my phone.

Entry stairs and left wall....

Screen wall....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a profile sketch of the room to give a better idea of dimensions and basic shape.

I went by the house yesterday after work to snap some more pictures. Hopefully these will help stir up some conversation.

Entrance to theater from gameroom. Screen wall on left.

Entrance with view to right/rear of room. Gives some idea of the way the ceiling is sloped.

View of back right corner (if seated). The upper blue box in the corner is the speaker wire box. The lower box is the sub pre-wire. You can see the arrow to the left showing where I asked to have the speaker wire moved.

View of back left corner (if seated). The upper box with the arrow coming out of it is the speaker wire where originally placed. The S shows where it will be moved.
You can also see that black paint mess below the arrow is where all of the connections will be run. The in-wall storage rack will be built in that area. There is a wide open space above the garage on the other side of that wall.
On the far left of the picture, you can see the orange conduit, black low voltage box, and electrical box for the projector. It had to be placed there to gain as much distance from the front wall as possible. In that location, it is still several feet above the heads of anyone below. I am interested in framing out around the projector to block it from view below...simply because it is so close. I would like people's thoughts on that. With it wide open on the front, would that be enough ventilation?

post #3 of 37 Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

So we've been in the house since mid-October. When we first moved in, we put the 51" plasma in the movie room while we waited for the built-in to be finished in the downstairs living room, where that TV is located now.
It was only in there long enough to watch a couple movies.....enough to appreciate the dedicated viewing room, and to get really excited about getting the room set up.

My wife and I have compromised on the furniture for the room. Since it is not very deep, only a single row of seating will be possible. To maximize seating and comfort, we are going to have a custom sectional and ottoman made from Bassett.

I will be doing in-walls for the front, surround, and rear surround. Again, with the smaller size of the room and compromises with my wife, it is the better option. Because of the construction of the lower portion of the viewing wall, an in-wall center channel is not possible, so a 'cabinet' speaker on stand will be used.

I have decided on Klipsch speakers for the room. Next Wednesday, I should receive the RC-52II center channel and RW-12 II subwoofer.
I am still somewhat undecided on which Klipsch speakers I will go with. I am considering the R-3800-W II or the R-5800-W II for the fronts. The only thing I can see being different is a slightly wider frequency range of the 5800....for $50 more/each. I guess I need to do some research because I am not sure if that is going to be 100% necessary or beneficial to me. However, for only a $100 difference, I would hate to second guess myself.

I am also wondering if something like the R-5502-W II wouldn't be a better way to go up front.

I am figuring 4 of the R-3650 or 5650-W II would satisfy the surround locations. I don't see 8" woofers being necessary back there.
post #4 of 37 Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You might want to think bigger for your screen. I sit 13' from a 115" 16x9 screen and, if my room width would allow I'd have a 135" or bigger screen without feeling like I was sitting too close. I would imagine you would really like a 115" or so.

I also decided I wouldn't purchase Klipsch speakers EVER because they've been tied to the Koch brothers, but that's a different reason. I'm sure they'll sound great. I'm guessing you won't NEED the 8" drivers in the surrounds, but quite frankly with a $100 difference I'd get the 8" drivers. It's not a lot of money and it will improve the sound in the back. Speakers can last decades, divide that $100 out over 10 years+ and it's a no brainer, IMHO. Especially with in-walls. Think of the extra work if you order the 5" and decide a week later you want the 8", now your cutting drywall again.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback. I have been considering a 106" screen. I really do think anything bigger would be too big. I took some measurements and tossed up some blue tape to get a better idea of everything. The taped off section represents measurements for a 106" I am looking at. Just inside that box are pieces of tape to represent a 96" screen.

I think the 106" will be fine as the both would interfere with the dimmer knob.......which I will have to move.

The single wires to the right and left (and lower center) mark where the speaker wire is hiding behind the wall.

right corner

left corner - electronics in this corner; actual viewing will be farther tor right.

projector
post #6 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post

Thank you for the feedback. I have been considering a 106" screen. I really do think anything bigger would be too big. I took some measurements and tossed up some blue tape to get a better idea of everything. The taped off section represents measurements for a 106" I am looking at. Just inside that box are pieces of tape to represent a 96" screen.

I think the 106" will be fine as the both would interfere with the dimmer knob.......which I will have to move.

To clarify now that I'm not typing on my iPhone...if I had more width, I would go wider than my 115", but I would have gone 2.35:1 instead of 16:9. I think my height is just about right.

I think you'll be much, much happier with the 106 than the 96. Can't wait to see how your room progresses!

Also, consider replacing that dimmer with one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MIR-600THW-WH-600-Watt-Infrared-Receiver/dp/B000JJYJMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392049145&sr=8-1&keywords=lutron+dimmer+remote

We have the same layout where the entrance/light switch is right by the screen, across the room from the seating area. This dimmer is fantastic, as I can hit the wall switch normally on the way into the room and bring them up full, then dim them down from the seating area with the remote right as the movie begins to play, then up full again as I shut everything down and off on the way out. I love this little dimmer.

post #7 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the dimmer link! I think I'll have one of those.

The center and sub showed up today.

I need to start getting serious about picking a projector to set my sights on. I want 3D and want to stay at or below $2500.
I am set on an Onkyo receiver, just have to decide on which one. It needs to have a powered Zone 2 to power in-ceiling speakers just outside the movie room, in the game room.

Considering the height obstacle I have on the front wall, with the small staircase, I have decided to go with the 8" in-walls. I will run them for front, surround, and rear surround. Might as well be consistent. I plan to start collecting them one pair at a time to spread the cost out. By the time we're ready for the projector expense, I should have the speakers knocked out.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Something else cool.....our neighborhood has a Facebook 'garage sale' page. Some people just moved into their new house and upgraded equipment. I got this Onkyo SR803 and Polk PSW300 for $30!! Both in perfect condition. Yes a little old, but I'll take an originally priced $1500 receiver for $30 any day.
I have those items in the living room where we have Monoprice in-walls for surround.

post #9 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

We paid our visit to Bassett today. Ordered the sectional for the room. It is a chocolate color and soooooo comfortable. We also ordered an ottoman to match that opens up for storage.

It won't be here for about 45 days. Plenty of time to line up a projector and screen.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As a guideline you can sit as close as 8ft from a 65" screen when viewing 1080p content while moving back to almost 12ft while viewing 720p content on the same screen. Any closer and your eyes can't physically see the resolution. If using a 4k projector and 4k content you can sit MUCH MUCH closer.
Check out this chart for tv size/viewing distance. you're at around a 90 to 100" screen.
http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/hdtv_distance_chart.pdf

CAV Installations

URC Total Control  -  Vantage  -  Monitor Audio  -  Autonomic  -  Fusion Research  -  TiVo

post #11 of 37 Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

I have been wrapping up some vehicle projects, so I am ready to continue forward with the theater room and kick this build in high gear.

I received the 106" screen from my parents for my birthday back in June (man it's nice having parents that still spoil their adult kids ).

thrillcat, I took your advice and ordered the remote dimmer.

We are in need of a new Blu-ray player for this room. I am fairly set on a Samsung BD-F7500.
I am considering the Onkyo TX-NR828 for the receiver.
Going to run six Klipsch R-3800-W in-wall speakers for the fronts, surround, and rear surrounds

I am pretty well sold on the Epson 5030 projector.

I am trying to jump in on the coat-tails of 'last year's' models on sale, as the new stuff should be coming out very soon.
post #12 of 37 Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Excellent! I'm not going to lie, even with a 115" screen and 7.1 surround sound down there, that stupid dimmer is one of the biggest "WOW" factors for people who see my room.

post #13 of 37 Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

It's the simple things that make this all fun. I like the novelty of the remote dimmer.
Do you know if it is something that could be controlled through some sort of all-in-one remote?

I ordered the first pair of Klipsch in-walls last night.

post #14 of 37 Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Speakers are here.

Rather than moving on the movie room this weekend, I will be installing the surround in-walls in the living room downstairs as well as the back patio speakers.
post #15 of 37 Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Screen Size

The room is looking great - I think you are making a lot of good decisions. You'll love the 106" screen. That is my screen size, and I have a room with a very similar depth as yours.

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
post #16 of 37 Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions View Post
The room is looking great - I think you are making a lot of good decisions. You'll love the 106" screen. That is my screen size, and I have a room with a very similar depth as yours.
Thank you! I am excited about it all. This is my first dedicated movie room and it will have the best equipment I have owned....modest for some, but good for me (and frankly the best I can get approved by the boss).

I am very happy to hear about your experience with the 106" screen. My wife looks at me like I'm crazy, but I know it will be sweet.

I went ahead and ordered the other two sets of in-walls while they were half-price...sale ended today.
I am hoping to snag the receiver before the new series comes out and I lose the sale price/availability of the Onkyo receiver I have my eyes on.
post #17 of 37 Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

My wife just asked me why I had not ordered the projector yet. Score.
post #18 of 37 Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
My wife just asked me why I had not ordered the projector yet. Score.
How awesome for you......... somebody clone that woman.
Oh, and most universal remotes will have codes to run a Lutron IR dimmer.
If you haven't already bought your Blu Ray player, you owe it to yourself to check out the Oppos. Starting at $500 (yes, not the cheapest) they are by far the nicest optical disc players on the market for the money. Picture quality is noticeably better than anything you have likely seen before.

underachiever extraordinaire

Last edited by weaselfest; 09-21-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #19 of 37 Old 09-22-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I have recently started looking at the Oppo players. A bit more than I think I can squeeze today, but once the dust settles from getting this room up and running, I might look to upgrade to an Oppo and move the Samsung unit to another room.
post #20 of 37 Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yummy

post #21 of 37 Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I got the two rear surround in-walls installed. I wish the wires were run closer to the center of the room, but that's what I had to deal with.

I am getting the side surround speakers lined up for install now.

post #22 of 37 Old 10-16-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got the receiver ordered. I was having quite the ordeal deciding. Luckily I read enough on this forum to guide my decision.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Onkyo TX-NR828 at basically half-off because it's last year's model, but read about all of the HDMI issues Onkyo has been having and not resolving.
I really just don't feel like jackin with those issues and risk having a failure just as the family is sitting down to a movie night.
From what I have read, the same issues are starting to show up with the 2014 models. Not going there.

I opted to go with a Denon receiver. I ordered the AVR-X1100W. Using some of my Crutchfield rewards points that have been building, I got the receiver for $380 shipped.
I thought about going up to the 2100, but it was really only a little more wattage that made the difference from what I could tell. It's not until the 3100 that there are any real changes.

All I need are HDMI connections for a BluRay player, and a cable box, and one out to the projector.

The Klipsch in-walls are rated at 50w RMS, so the 80w/channel of this unit is going to be a nice match power-wise.....without going too far overboard.

The only thing I really wish it had that I was shopping for is dedicated 2nd zone speaker terminals. I was wanting to operate the game room in-ceiling speakers with this receiver while being permanently connected with 7 channels in the movie room, but it looks like I will just run those on the extra stereo receiver I have.

Last edited by TXST8tj; 10-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #23 of 37 Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

More surround speaker installation.
Ran into a hiccup on the other side of the room in the form of a stud. Luckily that will be pretty easy to modify.

*ignore the drywall dust on the sub! Still need to clean up.

post #24 of 37 Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

The new Denon receiver showed up yesterday.
Just waiting on the BluRay player to get here and then the projector.

post #25 of 37 Old 10-29-2014, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice room setup. I'm liking how it's turning out. Also do you plan to paint the area a different color?

Chris

"The Boy has no patients" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan

Work is what we do to pay for our HT.
post #26 of 37 Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! I am extremely excited/anxious to get it finished up.

Once everything is mounted/installed/etc, we are going to paint the room. It will be a dark brown color.
post #27 of 37 Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You are going to LOVE the EPSON 5030. Phenomenal projector for the money. You should check out my build thread...you might get some ideas. Our build is somewhat similar in that I went with 7 Polk in-walls and a 15" sub in my room and am thrilled to death with the quality and power. An Emo amp feeds my front three speakers 200w each.

Looking forward to following your thread thru completion.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #28 of 37 Old 10-30-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am actually considering the Sony VPL-HW40ES
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158HW40...FFBrand%7cSony

It is on sale right now for $500 off. Looking at reports on the two, they are pretty much neck and neck. Each of them has one or two pros/cons that balance each other out, so we'll see.

I also started looking at the new Epson 3500. Basic stats have it much nicer than the older 3020, and on paper very similar to the 5030......I know it's not the same level, but I have not seen a real comparison to see what the difference is.

I will definitely check out your thread!
post #29 of 37 Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

I assembled the Monoprice 106" fixed screen tonight. I am extremely impressed with the build quality of the screen assembly. I can't wait to see a picture on the screen to see if the performance matches the construction quality.

I don't have another screen handy to compare it to, butt it looks a lot richer than it cost.

The left side of the frame will but up right against the trim piece of that stair rail.
It really needs to go another 1.5"-2" to the left beyond that to be perfectly centered in the room; however, that is as far as it can go, and you really won't be able to tell easily.

I plan to hang it tomorrow before the kids go to sleep when I can make some noise putting holes in the wall.

Last edited by TXST8tj; 11-03-2014 at 09:47 PM.
post #30 of 37 Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
I am actually considering the Sony VPL-HW40ES
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158HW40...FFBrand%7cSony

It is on sale right now for $500 off. Looking at reports on the two, they are pretty much neck and neck. Each of them has one or two pros/cons that balance each other out, so we'll see.
The EPSON 5030 is on sale for $2299.00 and it includes a free spare bulb & 2 pairs of 3D glasses. In my honest opinion, I'd pay $3K for a 5030 now that I've seen what this PJ can do. $2299 is a friggin' STEAL!!! (Sales ends 11/11 I think)

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Epson...rojector/29099

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms