Movie/Sports/Yankees Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
So in the process of finishing up the basement for a movie/game/sports room. Here's some pics of the room so far (just drywall):

This is the long wall perpendicular to the stairs which you meet as you come down. It's ~27 ft long. This space is where I'm putting a 110" Elite screen. You can seen the speaker wire curled up on the floor on the right and the hdmi cables hanging from the ceiling towards the front of the pic (~11 ft. away). I'll be mounting a BenQ w1070 there.

This is basically looking back from the front wall. Putting a sectional right in front of that metal pole, which will essentially be right under the projector at ~11 ft. away. Behind the pole I'm putting a pool table. I realize there will be two or three tight shots, but screw it, I want a pool table smile.gif. On the wall to the right I'm mounting an old 50" Panny plasma (TH-50PX75U) I replaced with an ST50 a few months ago and is no longer in use. I'll likely get a slingbox or roku hooked up to that TV.

This is the far wall as you first walk into the basement. The wall with the projector screen is to the right. I'm going to be putting a bar back there (not a huge fancy one obviously) just probably a few stools, a table, and a minifridge. On that left wall I'm mounting a 37" LCD that I currently have in my bedroom which I never use. I'll hook that up to the slingbox/roku as well.

There will also be a dartboard down there somewhere. I'm painting all the walls Yankees blue except the far wall which the bar will be in front of, that wall is going to be painted white with blue pinstripes. The ceiling is going to be painted Yankees away gray. There will be lots of Yankees decorations. Not sure of too many other decorative decisions yet, gonna just see where it goes.

Open to suggestions/comments!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Looks like it should be a great space.

No specific suggestions so far. What kind of audio are you looking at doing?

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm moving my current audio setup in my living room down there, so a Denon 1913 receiver, 2 JBL L880 (front L and R), a JBL LC1 (Center), two JBL L810 (surround L and R) and a Polk Audio PSW111 SW. I'm definitely going to be upgrading my subwoofer next year, and probably my center channel as well. PS3 will be the blu-ray player/media hub for the projector along with Comcast HD cable.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds good. In that big of a space I would agree beefing up the center and sub will both help out a lot.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Looks like it will be a great space. Personally, I think these would make a great addition

but you might be happier with something like this
post #6 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Liked: 32
Great use of space! I can see that you will get a lot of use out of the various areas. I love my pool table so go for it! Will look for further updates.

The W1070 should excel in this area.
CheYC likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Looks like it will be a great space. Personally, I think these would make a great addition

but you might be happier with something like this

Those chairs are awesome (not the Sox one of course smile.gif ) I have a hunch they'd probably be a bit out of my price range though haha.

First coat of primer is going on Sunday, hopefully painting will be done Wednesday or so and the projector will be mounted by Friday. I just can't wait to watch the Yankees/Red Sox series on the big screen next week. Though I hope watching them lose on a 110" doesn't make me more upset than watching them lose on 55".

post #8 of 27 Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Watching your team lose is always hard but the bigger scree take away a bit of the sting. smile.gif

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #9 of 27 Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Nice, very nice, large open space. Pool , mini bar, theater. All a man needs to live for a month before having to climb out of the hole.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #10 of 27 Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

I just can't wait to watch the Yankees/Red Sox series on the big screen next week. Though I hope watching them lose on a 110" doesn't make me more upset than watching them lose on 55".

Sorry but a loss is a loss. BUT sport does look good on the big screen. I am in Australia and follow the AFL (Australian Football League) and a team known as the Western Bulldogs. Now they last won a premiership in 1954!! and I was born in 1955 so I have NEVER seen them win a premiership ....... Tell me about losses. Currently they are in rebuild mode and the future holds hope for us.

Anyway good luck with the painting.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

These guys doing my drywall/doors are taking a lot longer than planned.... I mean I can't be too angry with them b/c they're doing a great job and they're really nice guys, but I am kind of angry smile.gif

post #12 of 27 Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Man I swear, if it involves construction just add a few days or weeks depending on the project size.

My contractor was due out Monday for a couple projects. I heard first word from him yesterday. He said ' my schedule is messed up, ill call you tomorrow'

Ill see him in a couple weeks. smile.gif

Drywall guys seem to pick it up a notch after a cold beer and the mention of 12 more. wink.gif

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #13 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They finally finished last night... I wasted no time and went right down and started priming. Finished about about 2 this morning, woke up at 7 and started painting! Cruising along so far:

post #14 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Looks great

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #15 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got lots done last two days... some furniture and stuff. Flooring and trim are unfortunately going to wait and get done over the next two months (a pain, I know, but I was ready to get down there smile.gif )

Yankees lost frown.gif Loved watching baseball on the big screen though!

Futon in the back corner which will eventually be looking at a TV once my mount comes in. My guitars are also setup across from it. Newly mounted 110" screen on the right. Those clips you have to use to tension the screen were a huge pain in the ass. My fingers are still numb.

Sectional and my guitars in the back corner; amp was just moved down after this. The back white wall will be pinstriped next week (we're having guests tomorrow). That back blue wall (next to the door) will also get a TV when the mounts come in.

Just a shot of the screen smile.gif No trim and floor looks not that great, but I dont care smile.gif

Obviously still a lot of work to do, but I've made significant progress since Wednesday night when it was bare drywall. Also still haven't moved my speakers down.

post #16 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Looks awesome and I agree one the room is useable who can wait.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #17 of 27 Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I like your room! I will probably end up having a similar layout in my basement. I currently have a 106" projector screen and am contemplating where to put a 40" second screen. I might just use it for a digital movie poster display.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Looks great!

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, here's a much needed update, with some more work done:

Got the floor down (most of it). An embarrassing football team (Giants) on the big screen. Still trying to figure out how I want to mask that metal support beam there.

Just a shot of the couch, and the door where all my A/V equipment is hidden. You can see the little bit of the floor I have left to finish in the back right.

A shot of my guitar amp and two TVs mounted on the wall. 50" plasma facing the futon hooked up to a roku and a 37" LCD TV hooked up to nothing as of right now.

My pinstriped wall, this thing took f***ing forever! I have Yogi's famous quote on the wall hanging there, which is a replica of the sign in Yankee Stadium "I want to thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"

Just a Yankee stadium subway sign going down into the basement.

Still needs some work obviously, most notably trim. But more to come!

post #20 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Liked: 10
That is a Joe DiMaggio quote! but awesome room. I am thinking replica retired numbers would look great on that soffit on either side of the projector.
post #21 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc_NJ View Post

That is a Joe DiMaggio quote! but awesome room. I am thinking replica retired numbers would look great on that soffit on either side of the projector.

Yikes, major brain fart on my behalf! It is indeed Joe D.

You're right on with the replica retired numbers, even where I want to put them. I found this guy online who does them:

http://www.carvedwoodshop.com/retired-numbers-plaques-c-33.html

post #22 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Nice room! Looking great. If it were me with the metal pole I'd frame it in and drywall it. Then what I'd do is make a small pub table out of it! Or even build in a small snack ledge. the pole would be centered on that. you can use bar stools behind for some extra seating for the big game, that kind of thing.

P.S. I would also consider painting the ceiling. It's up to you and it looks fine either way. But if you paint the ceiling a darker color it will absorb light and cut down on light reflecting back to your screen. I'm not sure if you have any issues with it or not. Just a suggestion I've picked up from hanging out on these boards. biggrin.gif
post #23 of 27 Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Really like your wood floor. Looking real good!

I agree on framing and drywalling the pole, and incorporating it some how into something.

Good job!

post #24 of 27 Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys! I've been contemplating on what to do with that pole... I found this online: http://www.polewrap.com/ anyone have any experience with this? Looks like it has a little ledge you can build in too.

^^ The ceiling is painted a flat gray, might be hard to tell from the pics.

post #25 of 27 Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 AM

That's nice. I like the table with it. Pretty much what I was thinking. was something along these lines.

post #26 of 27 Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

That's nice. I like the table with it. Pretty much what I was thinking. was something along these lines.

Oh damn, you just raised the bar (sorry, bad pun). I love that... I want that. I don't know if I'm handy enough to build it though. I wish you didn't show me that frown.gif

post #27 of 27 Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM

smile.gif yes I'm trying to figure out how to encorporate something like this in my space. For me unfortunately I'm more limited on depth then you. So what I was thinking was to make a narrorw bar like this but not make it fixed to the floor. So I can push it back flush with my back wall when not needed for seating then move the the couch forward when it is and have the bar stools store underneath. REally shouldn't be to hard to build. Although when something seems easy it never is! But look around online for more ideas. I've seen many cool photos with something like this. I think it would make a great addition to your room and add a good amount of seating. You don't need to attach it to the wall like this photo. It can simply be a nice ledge to sit at.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Roku Streaming Player , Jbl L810 3 Way High Performance 5 25 Wall Mountable Bookshelf Loudspeaker Black Pair , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Jbl L880 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Polk Audio Psw111 Subwoofer Single Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page