Replacing in-wall HDMI cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently I had 3 HDMI cables run in-wall to two TVs mounted on the wall. Just a day or so ago one of the cables failed. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think there was too much stress on the cable at the TV input. I decided to use the 3rd unused cable for that TV, but that cable is broken too. One of the ends seemed to have been damaged at some point.

Anyways, now I need to replace at least one of these cables. I've been trying to research the best way to go about this, but I'm not sure what I should do. Would it be possible to use the broken cables as 'pull cables' to run the new cables through the wall, or is there something else I could do to make this as simple as possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The cables should be tacked down (assuming the wall was open when the cables were run). If that's the case, you can't use the current cables to pull other cables. Do you know how the cables were run? Were they fished from location to location?

Bob
post #3 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

The wall was not open when the cables were run. From my understanding, the guy who did this made a total of 3 holes in the wall and the cables were then fished through. I think I'm just gonna give it a shot and see if I can get a new cable to go through this way. Don't really have anything to lose at this point.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I would cut off one of the HDMI connector ends before using it as a pull-string - less chance of getting caught. Tape the connection very well (electrical tape). Double up the string, after taping, and then tape it again.

You may want to replace the cable with a pull string, and then use the pull string for the new cable(s) (and a new pull string with it). Enlist a helper. Sometimes tension on both ends helps, and sometimes some pushing helps.

You may be able to more easily pull a new category cable than a new HDMI cable. You could use an HDMI extender with a category cable, though it's probably cheaper to just cut a few new holes, patch, and paint, than use an extender.

An HDMI cable with small end connectors will be easier to pull than one with large connectors. You may have to search to find a good one. Ethereal might be one to research.

HDMI Field termination kits available (e.g. RapidRun), but probably a lot more $ than patching and painting.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I did see that some people recommend replacing the cable with a pull string first and then trying to get the new cable in place, so I might try that.

I guess I have a few more things to look into regarding the type of cable I should try and run.

I appreciate your response, it gives me a good starting point to figure out what I should do. smile.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
If you're going to pull the HDMI wire - pull a string AND the replacement cable at the same time. Each pull is a risk, you don't want to try your luck twice, and the large HDMI cable will be better for pulling than a string (if it moves at all).

(and then hopefully when you're done you also have a pull string for the future...)

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page