Conduit Installation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm looking to install gray conduit or orange Carlon conduit in old construction walls/chases. Usage is low voltage- HDMI, USB, network cable. I was going to use a recessed TV box at each terminal. Looking at conduit from 1.25" to 2". I am not sure yet what size exactly.

What is the best method to terminate the conduit? Do they all terminate into boxes or do they just hang out behind the wall. I've seen some low voltage rings with conduit knockouts (1/2" and 3/4") but they don't accept anything over 1". Are there old construction LV rings with 2" knockouts? Any means of connecting gray conduit to a LV mounting ring?

Thanks!!!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Answered in the other forum, but unless you have a specific code requirement or you're going to be using spray foam insulation, your LV cables should be installed outside the conduit, leaving it empty for the future.

You can terminate them with the screw coupler and nut for that purpose, or just leave the conduit hanging loose at the box. Both methods were used in my house...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I ran conduit then ran HDMI through the conduit. It doesn't make sense to run HDMI outside of the conduit, since they seemingly change the requirements daily for HDMI cables. I was able to find low voltage "boxes" that allowed relatively large conduit sizes. Just make sure the HDMI cable you want to use will go through the conduit.

Bob
post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
HDMI would be the only cable to install in the conduit, since that's the one you'd need to replace (assuming you run enough category cables outside the conduit).

I'd attach the 1.5-2" conduit to the stud with a conduit D-ring, near the wall plate. Don't use a junction box for low-voltage cables - use a ring or other 'box' with an open back. Not enough room in a box, especially for category and HDMI cables.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page