Need help with open floor plan speaker arrangements/options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I've seen tons of build threads on here and have come to appreciate much of the info on this site. Usually, I just browsed though and utilized the general info that I needed. However, now I'm looking for something a little more specific so I thought I would sign up and start a thread.

I'm currently in the process of buying a house and would like some opinions on setting up my HT. The main living room area consists of an open floor plan that contains the kitchen with a furdown (basically an overhang that drops down from the ceiling about 3 ft right over where my bar and sink are) and a small dining area. There is a window and sliding glass door on the right hand side of the room while the left side leads into a hall way/ entry way. The entire area is tiled, so I'll be buying some rugs, and there is also vaulted ceilings. I realize this is not well suited for a true home audio experience, but I really like the open floor plan. So hopefully you guys have some ideas on how to make it work. I definitely want to run floor standing speakers for front L/R, but the surrounds is where I'm struggling on this room. Below are my main questions and a sketch (drawn to scale) that I made. The L/R surrounds will be approximately 8' off the ground and the rear surrounds would be almost 11' if ceiling mounted. Hopefully, I've provided enough info for some solid advice.

Thanks in advance.

- 7.1 or 5.1 for this room? I believe I easily have enough room for 7.1, but solely based on this floor plan and the vaulted ceilings I might have issues mounting the rear surrounds.

- I'm partial to mounted speakers, but are in wall/ceiling my only options?

- Based on your recommended locations, what speakers (i.e. type/ model) would you suggest?

For some additional background, I currently have a Denon 1913 AVR, Polk Monitor 60 II Floorstanding, Polk Monitor CS2 II center and a BIC America F12 sub. I'm willing to replace my current equipment as well, but would like to stay under $2500. Note: I plan on buying a new sub (SVS or HSU) in about a year so the $2500 would be for speakers only.

Here is my mock up sketch w/ some notes I had:
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I tried to answer most of the questions that are usually asked ahead of time. smile.gif

Robert
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page