Unique Cabling situation - HDMI to VGA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a setup that I am trying to fit into with the least conversion/complication as possible.

I am the media guy for our church, and we meet in a high school multipurpose room, so I'm limited by the room's setup. We setup/tear down every week, so lots of plug-in/out cycles on both ends. We are typically only showing slides (like powerpoint, but different program) - still images at 800x600, but sometimes play video clips through the PC as well (usually only youtube, nothing HD quality).

I have a laptop with both VGA out and HDMI out, and a wall plate to connect to the room projector with a VGA Female port.

We are currently using a 100 foot VGA male/male cable (only really need ~40 feet, but it's what we had). The pins in the cable are starting to get bent from constant plugging over ~5 years and periodically I lose Red. (makes graphics look pretty funny sometimes).

I am considering getting a ~40 foot HDMI male/male and then converting the signal to VGA on the one end to connect to the wall plate. This will likely need to be an active conversion to be clean though. I could do HDMI/DVI and convert that, which seems a more common conversion method. Most of the converters I've seen though assume VGA is the input to the converter, and I would do HDMI in to VGA out conversion.

Does anybody have any recommendations on this setup, glaring issues, better ways of doing this? Clearly I'd rather do this without conversion, but I'm not sure getting another VGA/VGA cable is the best bet.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Conversion is probably not the best answer. What about a replacement setup using VGA-over-cat5. Cable is cheap, small, more flexible, and cheap... biggrin.gif

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5034&CAWELAID=1329450661&catargetid=320013720000010835&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLi_mpKb9rgCFcZj7Aod6HAA7Q

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 5 Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
get another long VGA cable, they are relatively cheap and will stand up to repeated coiling and bending better than a conventional cat5 patch cord and the associated dongles needed to convert it to VGA plus you won't be introducing two or more points of failure into the system. Hopefully the church will need a new projector before you are no longer using a laptop with VGA output. Worry about upgrading things to HDMI then.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I think I'd just buy another VGA cable :shrug:

Or another projector! biggrin.gifwink.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a laptop at work without checking the video out options, and it only had an HDMI output. I was able to scrounge a DVI to VGA converter (about $130, but free to me, since it was no longer in use in its original system) and got a HDMI/DVI cable. It works, but it is a pain to have to carry the converter around in order to give presentations.

However, given your current cable has lasted 5 yrs, I would just buy another VGA cable. They're $13.98 (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=3572&CAWELAID=1329448409&catargetid=320013720000010651&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CP-VhsHr-bgCFQpxQgodHmkAmQ), which over 260 (5*52) Sundays is about a nickle a use. Hard to find cheaper.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page