Ready for drywall, need to run my wires! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Getting ready to drywall the basement and just want to double check my rather simple wire setup. I'm will be hanging a BenQ W1070 from the ceiling so I'll need an electric outlet and at least 1 HDMI from the projector and a Cat5/6 cable? In addition I'll run my speaker wire to the rear of the room for my rear 5.1 speakers. Everything else will be accessed behind the viewing wall which is a storage room. I'm also running 1.5" PVC(couldn't find the conduit everyone talks about locally) to the projector area for future wires or replacements.

Anything else I"m missing here, seems simple enough for the time being?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I would run at least 2 cat5e/cat6 wires for future use. But the conduit is the most important part of your future-proofing!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Just actually getting my monoprice order ready now. What is the difference between the cat5e & cat6? Should I run one of each?

I guess that's it then, just HDMI and these cables?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I would recommend going with Cat6. They are basically the same cable but cat6 is twisted tighter I believe which rates it with higher bandwidth. And for the money I think it's worth using the best you can get for now. Will you actually end up needing it or noticing a difference now? Hard to say. But if your future proofing as much as you can it's worth doing it now. Are you planning on streaming HD video? Another factor to consider are your network switches. I recommend using gig switches and not just 10/100. They will either say "gig" or "gigabyte" or 10/100/1000.

For an idea of streaming power I was able to have 3 HD movies streamed to different locations in my house at once and not one hiccup or buffering issue what so ever. Now it may have worked just as well with cat5e i'm not sure. But try that over wifi and you will probably have issues.

Last summer I was running network lines through out my house to every room and I went cat6. I have 2 ports per upstairs bedroom. I also ran a remote switch in my boy's closet so I can expand to more if I ever need more. I filled up my chase pipe that goes from my basement to my attic with coax and cat6 lines so I needed use a remote switch for adding more lines upstairs. I have 4 lines to my office, and 4 in my living room for my TV and other components. My utility room in my basement is where my home run is. I have a 48 port gig switch with 2 24 inch port patch down panels. All my TV lines go to that location as well.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
When I set up my projector, I had the following:

1. A power outlet .I think its called a 'power bridge' because it isn't actually directly hooked up to an active line. Instead, I plug it into my surge protector. I got something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-SSPBIW-6-WH-Single-Solution-In-Wall/dp/B003CJTQ2Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1381243580&sr=8-5&keywords=power+bridge

2. 2 Cat 5e lines. Cat 6 is better and more future proof, but its also more expensive. I have conduit running in case I need Cat 6 later.

3. A 3.5mm outlet. This is so that I can hook up an IR blaster directly to the projector and control everything with a single remote (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-5ft-Extender-Cable-Receiver/dp/B005E2XLNM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1381243939&sr=8-5&keywords=ir+extender). The other end will plug into a logitech IR repeater or something like IP2IR.

4. A single HDMI outlet.

5. Conduit.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well, the last dedicated that I did was 1 power + 1 HD15 for component. That gives you an idea how long ago it was. I would run power, HDMI, and CAT 6. Put in a nice big piece of PVC pipe (3-4") conduit so you can easily fish other lines in the future.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-10-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I haven't been able to figure out whether to run cat6 to the projector. I ran some for mine and never used it (and don't see why I ever would). My original plan was to use it for IR, but I just shot the IR off the screen. All I ended up using was HDMI. I also put in power. So, I had power and HDMI to the projector and that was it (the cat6 is still there but not hooked up at either end).

Bob
post #8 of 13 Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I haven't been able to figure out whether to run cat6 to the projector. I ran some for mine and never used it (and don't see why I ever would). My original plan was to use it for IR, but I just shot the IR off the screen. All I ended up using was HDMI. I also put in power. So, I had power and HDMI to the projector and that was it (the cat6 is still there but not hooked up at either end).

Good, you want at least one for the future... smile.gif I have a lot of category cable running around the theater, and I don't know what it's for. And that was on purpose.

I ran three cat5e (would now be cat6) to my projector. Currently using one for RS232, another was for Ethernet, and an extra one.... IR, HDBaseT or 12V triggers are other potential uses.

Six cents a foot is really cheap insurance!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #9 of 13 Old 10-10-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Good, you want at least one for the future... smile.gif I have a lot of category cable running around the theater, and I don't know what it's for. And that was on purpose.

I ran three cat5e (would now be cat6) to my projector. Currently using one for RS232, another was for Ethernet, and an extra one.... IR, HDBaseT or 12V triggers are other potential uses.

Six cents a foot is really cheap insurance!

Jeff

Well I also installed conduit (HDMI runs through conduit) to the projector. I'm not going to use RS232, ethernet seems to me to be useless (current projector doesn't have it and I can't why I'd ever use it for a projector), and I have a manual screen. I was considering IR, but never felt the need to implement this. For the rest of the theater, especially for the equipment, I ran a lot of cat5e/6, maybe 6 different runs.

Then again, I had less than 100 hours on the projector bulb when I sold the house, and the projector was installed for two years. Having two young children doesn't leave a lot of time for watching much and leaves no time for upgrading/installing stuff. And if I did have time, I had so many other things to do that the HT was way at the bottom.

Bob
post #10 of 13 Old 10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Well I also installed conduit (HDMI runs through conduit) to the projector.

Yes, that's the most critical "future proofing", so with that in place, you're set...
Quote:
ethernet seems to me to be useless (current projector doesn't have it and I can't why I'd ever use it for a projector)

Your next one will probably have it, and you'd probably want it for control... Again, future usage. But you've got conduit, so no worries.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'll be running conduit and also cat6. I am a network engineer so I run network everywhere I can. If I don't use then oh well. But if needed for something in the future then I have it. Maybe for the projector location it's not as critical but you may be able to use eventually. But like Jautor said. You have the conduit so if you choose to add it later you can. Put some pull strings in the conduit however.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If there is no conduit to the PJ, category cables can be used for an extender, for the next iteration of HDMI cable. In other words, if you want to someday upgrade to HDMI 2.0, and can't run a new cable, you could use 1 or 2 category cables in place of the new HDMI cable.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #13 of 13 Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I ran my HDMI/Cat6 as well as power to where the PJ will be. In addition I ran 1.5" PVC as conduit for future uses and speaker wire to the rear of the room. Finishing up some plumbing on the other side and I'll be ready for drywall!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page