My Home Theatre/Sports Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't post too often, but before I ventured into this I learned a lot here from seeing what other people did and got a lot of ideas/inspiration from other threads. I figured I might as well return the favor, and also see how I could have improved it. While I have things pretty well wrapped up, I'm always open to improvements and/or changes. I have some regrets over the speakers/mounts I used. At some point I will probably get something smaller or in-walls for the surrounds. The drywall mudding isn't the greatest, but I was in a hurry at that point and figured its a dark basement so didn't have to be absolutely perfect.

The main function is for watching sports and movies. With football especially, I wanted to have multiple TVs, so that is kind of where I started and designed the room from there.

I started with a pretty blank canvas, unfinished basement, pretty wide open except for a few posts. Here is a shot from the entry towards the screen. The panoramic might distort it a bit, but shows most of the room.

Here was the planned layout going in, which I stuck with for the most part. I didn't want to mess with taking the posts out, so I tried to build the room around them. What is not shown on this layout is my storage/AV room, which would come off the main area towards the left. The laundry/furnace room is the unfinished area towards the bottom. I haven't finished the bathroom at this point, but built the room so I could do that later.

From the screen corner looking towards the main seating area.

Same shot, after drywall and mudding.

Paint and lighting done.

Ceiling and screen up. Projector mounted.

Carpet down. It looks almost purple here, but it is actually gray.

Pretty close to completion, shot towards screen. Bar is just resting on the carpet, not fixed to floor. Speakers now hooked up.

From front wall looking back.

Screen, and 2 42" TVs now up.

Storage/AV Room. Still have some messy wires to clean up. Denon AVR-1913, Infinity 7.1 setup, PS3, Hopper with DISH.

Go Hawks... Had to get that in there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You have two weeks until the home opener against Northern Illinois, better get things done.
Hopefully progress won't be as slow as James Vandenberg looked last Friday against the Texans.
A Toast to your finished basement and to all loyal Hawk fans that haunt AVS. Here's to a healthy James Morris and some lucky bounces this year.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Well done.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I liked it until the last picture.

Mind posting more info about your 42" secondary screens? What do you display on them?
post #5 of 14 Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I have 3 sat receivers connected to the projector and those screens, so they can display anything. I have the Hopper with DISH, and I also could split the projector screen into 2 different things as well, for a total of 4 different things on, which I assume could happen on a few Saturdays this fall. Between ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, BTN, FoxSports1, NBC, there is usually plenty to watch. On Sundays, it'll be FOX, CBS, and NFL RedZone (plus maybe golf/baseball early in the season when there aren't games on both Networks).

On a normal night this time of the year, I usually have whatever I'm watching on the main screen, then a baseball game or two on the sides, or ESPN News, NFL Network, MLB Network if there aren't many games on.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Room looks awesome.

It looks like there isn't a lot of room for the center but is there any way to angle it up more towards the listening position.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, which I have done now by putting some "feet" on the front part of the speaker and the back still resting on the carpet. It still isn't ideal, but with the screen size and ceiling height, I kind of limited myself.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoffa7 View Post

Yes, which I have done now by putting some "feet" on the front part of the speaker and the back still resting on the carpet. It still isn't ideal, but with the screen size and ceiling height, I kind of limited myself.

Cool as long as it is angled some it should help.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post

I liked it until the last picture.

Mind posting more info about your 42" secondary screens? What do you display on them?

+1. That last picture is ruining the theater

wink.gif
eecyclone likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a link somewhere about things you should have done differently so others don't make the same mistake. Putting up that helmet should go on that list...

Otherwise very cool. I roughed in for a second TV and I bring down my 50" plasma for March Madness and occasionally on Sundays. I wish I had the resources to have two flatscreens permanently affixed.
eecyclone likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It looks like you are using an epson projector... 8350? What is your screen size?
post #12 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post

It looks like you are using an epson projector... 8350? What is your screen size?

There is a picture of a door. If the door is standard 80" I'd say his ceiling is only 82 or so. Im guessing thats 120" screen given only a few inches to spare on the top and bottom.

A valid reason to move the fat head: Its causing unncecessary glare.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #13 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay. Yes, EPSON 8350 with a 120" screen.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I love the extra screens. I have a wall to the side of my screen wall that will back up to my utility room. I'm building in my av rack into that wall. I plan in the future to mount one maybe two flat screens for extra games. My only limit is I run comcast xfinity cable so not sure what my options for splitting them up for differnt channels would be other then paying extra month for more recievers.

Also would you mind posting the dimensions of your back bar? I would like to do the same type of thing and leave it free standing as well. I don't have the space however you do so my thought was to back it up to the back wall when not in use. I like what you did there and just curious on what the dimensions are.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page